Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I was able to grab from Teri's video:

Attack Squadron (20 SP)

1. Players may only include 1 Attack Squadron when building their fleets for the tournament. This counts as their one resource for the tournament. Each Attack Squadron is comprised of one pre-painted miniature, a plastic base, two pegs, Ship Token, Maneuver Dial, Ship Card, A Maneuver Reference Card, 4 Attack Squadron tokens, two Attack Squadron ID tokens, and Shield Tokens (if applicable).

2. Attack Squadrons are treated as normal ships with the following exceptions:

a. Attack Squadrons can only attack enemy ships at a range 1-2.

b. Attack Squadrons can not be equipped with any upgrades or captain cards.

c. Each Attack Squadron Token has Primary Weapon, Agility, Hull, and Shield values, as well as a Captain Skill number on them. The Attack Squadron tokens are placed in a stack on top of the ship's card in descending order (from highest to lowest) of their Captain Skill values. NOTE: The value listed on the token at the top of the stack are always considered the Attack Squadron's current abilities and Captain Skill.

d. When an Attack Squadron sustains damage to its Hull, do not draw The Damage Cards as normal. Instead, remove one token from the top of the stack. Tokens removed in this way are removed from the game and may not be restored. Once there are no tokens left in the stack, the Attack Squadron is destroyed. Note: Only 1 Attack Squadron token may be removed by any single attack, regardless of how much damage is dealt by the attack.

e. If an Attack Squadron has Shields, the Shields are fully repaired and activated every time a new Attack Squadron token is revealed.

f. All critical damage sustained by an Attack Squadron is immediately converted into normal damage.

Hideki Class Attack Fighters (Attack Squadron)
Text: Instead of making a normal attack, you may make an attack with 2 dice from your rear firing arc.
Actions: Evade, Target Lock.

Starting stats:
Attack: 6
Agility: 0
Hull: 1
Shields: 0
Captain Skill: 6

NOTE: When Attack Squadron Token is removed, attack and captain skill drop by one, but agility goes up by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reeaaaaallllly want to run 5 of these as an 'entire fleet'....

Too bad they weren't priced/statted out as regular units. As they are, 5 of them would fit in 100 pts, but be *ridiculously* OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Reeaaaaallllly want to run 5 of these as an 'entire fleet'....

Too bad they weren't priced/statted out as regular units. As they are, 5 of them would fit in 100 pts, but be *ridiculously* OP.

Yeah, I wish they weren't a Resource. Up until now, all Resources have just been modifiers to existing ships. But now with the introduction of ships, I wish they had done a new kind of concept like "Supplemental Forces" or something.

They could then have limited them in their own way (ie, "no more than 2 Supplemental Forces in your fleet...", or as SteRT suggests "allowance of 1 Squadron per Capital ship")

Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am glad they are a resource. Having 5 of these things would be really abusive and they shouldn't be able to use things like the Flagship resources anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Attack Squadron's fire arcs are: 90 to the front and 90 to the rear.

Maneuvers are quite good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:
I for one am glad they are a resource. Having 5 of these things would be really abusive and they shouldn't be able to use things like the Flagship resources anyway.

Well, they can't take any upgrades, in any case. I assume that would apply to 'other resources' if they had been treated as regular 'ships'.

But, yeah, 5 of them - statted out as they are - would, indeed, be quite abusive. You can't take one out, period, with less than 4 distinct attacks on it. So 5 of them would require at the very least 20 attacks to kill.

That's...a bit abusive. Especially given their attack steps are 6/5/4/3 - even at the lowest level, they have as much kick as half the ships in the game.

IMHO, they went too high with those stats. If they'd been 4/3/2/1, instead, then I think they'd be more fairly priced at 20 points, and 5 of them *as* an entire fleet wouldn't really break anything.

I mean, just statting them out using the basic 2-points-per-value scoring, given each counts as roughly 4 ships, one of these OUGHT to cost (as-is):
6/0/1/0 = 14 pts + 3 pts (cheapest skill-6 captain I can find in Gorkon)
5/1/1/0 = 14 pts + 3 pts (typical skill-5 captain)
4/2/1/0 = 14 pts + 2 pts (typical skill-4 captain)
3/3/1/0 = 14 pts + 2 pts (typical skill-3 captain)
====
66 pts!

Proposed "regular fleet" version:
4/0/1/0 = 10 pts + 2 pts (typical skill-4 captain)
3/1/1/0 = 10 pts + 2 pts (typical skill-3 captain)
2/2/1/0 = 10 pts + 1 pts (typical skill-2 captain)
1/3/1/0 = 10 pts + 0 pts (generic/skill-1 captain)
====
45 pts

...I could certainly see cutting the value in half, as they only KINDA act like 4 ships - I mean, they definitely act like four ships in so far as a minimum of four attacks are needed to kill the group, and each attack diminishes the group's power...however, only one of them will be ATTACKING each turn, so...4 defenses vs 1 attack...maybe cut the 'calculated' score in half?

Still means the version we got is underpriced by half...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are intriguing. They are immune to alpha strikes and are most vulnerable to swarms of smaller ships. This makes them an interesting counter to cloaked Klingon fleets, and vulnerable only to the kind of large but low attack value fleets that struggle against cloaked fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if only Forwards Weapons Grid and the Koranak counted this token as multiple ships...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boogiums
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
No maneuverability for fighters.......wow.....of all ships, I would have thought them to be the most maneuverable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardassian fighters are closer to shuttles than fighters if you watched DS9. Even then they have almost the same maneuverability as the Apnex and Vo, what part of them do you consider to be not maneuverable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just hoping they're available outside of OP some day. Really want some!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
Donald Acker,

well, they are the prize you get for showing up, so even if you cant make an OP event, you can likely find them on ebay / etc. for quite cheap (I'm thinking you will be able to find it for less than a normal ship price, due to price of the other 'resources' out there, including the stands / etc. which many people wanted multiple of... or about $9 ?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pigasuspig wrote:
Just hoping they're available outside of OP some day. Really want some!

There's at least 1 thread for trading extra resources that other people collect. Teri for one has a lot that's she's offered to give away in previous months. Go find that thread and post to it. Of course, no one (besides Teri & a few other preview copies) will get them until February anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogiums wrote:
No maneuverability for fighters.......wow.....of all ships, I would have thought them to be the most maneuverable.

I think the idea is that when there's a bunch of fighters in a clump, they're easy to hit. But as the number of fighters go down, it gets harder. That's why the stats change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Proposed "regular fleet" version:
4/0/1/0 = 10 pts + 2 pts (typical skill-4 captain)
3/1/1/0 = 10 pts + 2 pts (typical skill-3 captain)
2/2/1/0 = 10 pts + 1 pts (typical skill-2 captain)
1/3/1/0 = 10 pts + 0 pts (generic/skill-1 captain)
====
45 pts

...I could certainly see cutting the value in half, as they only KINDA act like 4 ships - I mean, they definitely act like four ships in so far as a minimum of four attacks are needed to kill the group, and each attack diminishes the group's power...however, only one of them will be ATTACKING each turn, so...4 defenses vs 1 attack...maybe cut the 'calculated' score in half?

Still means the version we got is underpriced by half...

4 ships with an average value of 11 points, no ability, no upgrade slots, blank captains, and collectively one action and attack per turn would be staggeringly unplayable at 20 points, but I actually think there are better things to compare the fighters to. They're more like a single 16ish-point ship with a 3-stage Cheat Death (and various aforementioned limitations). That's still pretty powerful for the cost, obviously, but that's kind of the point, isn't it? All of the resources are worth more than an equivalent purchase of ships and upgrades (hell, look at the flagships); that's why we're only allowed one.

These little guys really do seem to represent that big meta shift we've been waiting for, because beating them involves the exact opposite of the current dominant strategies. That 8-die flagship with Barrage of Fire may be just the thing for taking out cloaked ships, but as far as the fighters are concerned, fistfuls of dice are at most as painful as a single ultritium bomb. Maybe we'll even see increased interest in TOS-era 3-attack or dinky Romulan ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:

These little guys really do seem to represent that big meta shift we've been waiting for, because beating them involves the exact opposite of the current dominant strategies. That 8-die flagship with Barrage of Fire may be just the thing for taking out cloaked ships, but as far as the fighters are concerned, fistfuls of dice are at most as painful as a single ultritium bomb. Maybe we'll even see increased interest in TOS-era 3-attack or dinky Romulan ships.

Interesting theory. I notice that the two factions that get the fighter squadrons are the same ones that don't get cloak as a native action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the concept of this resource. It really fits the theme of a small squadron of ships that get picked off one by one. I like that it's not going to get decimated by cloaked mines or barrage of fire. I like that you can only run 1 (otherwise start the tons of threads about how it's too OP)

I'm ok with it as a resource as now you have some tough decisions for what resource you want to use. That's a good thing! The idea is to have a large variety of builds - not everyone running the same BoF Klingon or CM Romulan both with Command tokens. Where's the fun and excitement in that?

Nice touch with the lower captain level as you take out tokens. The dominion player is going to want to stay out of firing arcs, and it is nice to see that it has 1 turn. Not enough ships with those! I like the 2-comeabout as well, and it's not the end of the world that it's a red maneuver. It makes me look forward to the information about the Federation squadron! It should be very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Given the general theme of federation ships and the mention of shields on the resource card, I expect it to trade a point or two of attack for a point or two of shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.