Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that Arthur being the Traitor is problematic, for two reasons.

Firstly, it doesn't make thematic sense to me. If Arthur wishes to hand over the throne to Mordred, he is free to do so; he doesn't have to "betray" anyone at all. (In fact, in some versions of the legend, Arthur and Mordred agree, during the course of their negotiations, that Mordred will succeed Arthur. The peace doesn't hold, but the fact that the deal was made at all means that Arthur had the power to do so. Remember that Arthur was Mordred's father, meaning that if Arthur were to abdicate, Mordred would be king by default.)

Secondly, it seems to cause some gameplay issues. Arthur is the only vector for players to exchange cards; having Arthur as the weak link seems to really hamstring the Round Table.

Any thoughts, fellow geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, I see it as Arthur being a traitor to the ideals of the court and of chivalry.

Gameplay, we randomly draw characters, usually only have 4 knights, and Arthur seems to be rarely drawn. So we normally don't have his ability in play. When he is in the game, he doesn't use it all the time, so again not much notice is given. If he ends up being the traitor, which he has only a time or two so far, not much of a big deal for us.

Your mileage may vary, but that's just been the experience with the games I've played so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always highlight this possibility when teaching this game: King Arthur as traitor is very thematic!

Why? Three words:

Morgan
Le
Fay

One more:

Mordred

Few people remember the father was our Good King Arthur. The same guy who had to deal with his wife Guinevere and Sir Lancelot making eyes at each other.

King Arthur had his reasons for wanting Camelot to fall.... despite Merlin pushing him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem with any of the other loyal knights of Camelot (SOC or MC) used as a traitor for game purposes. Can't always have the game be easier. From a story point of view this sits well with me so why not Arthur? After all Arthur is listed as one of the knights.

It is interesting to note that in the Merlin's Company (my gaming preference) King Arthur is always present at game start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the rule that King Arthur always has to be chosen was in the base game too. Either way, I too go full random. Not having King Arthur and swapping cards doesn't seem to be a "game over" situation to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I thought the rule that King Arthur always has to be chosen was in the base game too. Either way, I too go full random. Not having King Arthur and swapping cards doesn't seem to be a "game over" situation to me.

Naw, he's only required in Merlin's Company, which is nice because I prefer the completely random approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.