Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly as described in the title, I was playing a round of Devastation (Cesar vs. Shekhtur, with Cesar played by me) and this question came up:

On the beat where I gained my 4th Threat token (which causes Cesar to become stunned w/Soak 2), I played my "Fueled" style that causes Cesar to gain an additional Threat token at start of beat (when he would gain his 5th token, you instead discard all of them and he starts the beat with 0, which gives no benefit or hindrance).

Now, the confusion was whether the Fueled style lets you bypass the stun affect that your normal ante phase would give. The argument was that the Stunned ante effect comes into play immediately after you ante the token, or immediately after you reveal the cards, before the Fueled start of beat effect can cancel it.

HOWEVER, on the Fueled style card, it says that "if you would gain a 4th threat token through this card, you lose your Stun Immunity and become stunned instead" which implies that the start of beat effect overrides the ante effect. We played the game as if Fueled canceled out the "stunned" effect, but we weren't sure if this was legal or not.

How would you guys rule it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Kester
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know thats been mentioned in a thread on here somewhere, but Cesar stays stunned that beat (Cesar doesn't get the bonuses from the extra threat token, its there to speed things up/mess with the opponent's planning for the stun beat).

Its still can be useful to play on that beat just so that he resets faster (normally you'd have one beat where he has no threat, but playing Fueled on the beat he's stunned will get you to Threat 1 during the next ante).

Edit- Found the thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1088568/questions-answers-an...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
Let me explain why the card is worded that way.
Stun Immunity prevents getting stunned. Getting Stun Immunity also moves the state of being stunned.

Playing Fueled doesn't give Cesar any of the effects he gains during ante. This would make it incredibly powerful if it could just skip over his level 4 beat where Cesar is normally stunned.
To circumvent this, Cesar has to lose Stun Immunity first because simply stunning him would have no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, thanks! The match would have definitely played out differently then, but I'll remember that for the next match with Cesar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas hartnett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This certainly makes him harder to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Clutch5000 wrote:
This certainly makes him harder to use.

At first it seems like a lot of drawbacks for Fueled, but most of its uses are subtle.

For example, you might be on level 3 and about to hit the opponent for big damage. But you have already used Suppression and your opponent is certainly using Dash. Just couple Fueled with a not-so-useful base, which will stun you (the opponent is dashing so does not matter) this beat instead of next beat. You will then be at level 1 next beat ready to continue the rush down.

Look for the why in the card design and you might find new strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas hartnett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That makes it less of a drawback but its still wasting a time when you are stronger. Fueled can make you stronger when you need it which is useful but the more you use it the more you will be stunning yourself in the game. I'm not bad with Cesar but hes certainly not easy to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Denning
msg tools
yeah, but that's just how Cesar works. He fluctuates. He gets stronger and stronger, then has to take a break. His once-per-game decide-to-not-die ability and general usefulness of his cards help counter this pretty well.

Also, if you're playing against someone who is really paying attention, you can psyche them out by stunning yourself early, so while they're dodging your big hit, you're actually napping, and they just wasted a dodge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Denning
msg tools
And I just repeated what someone else said. Still, he's one of my favorites, but everyone can't be good with everyone. I'm sure someone out there has a dream team of Byron, Ottavia, Seth, and Sagas. I can't use any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.