Subject: Start player tile - what if no one wants it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenny M
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone clarify what happens when no one wants the start player tile? Do you take it in turns or carry on with the same player until someone else gets the start player tile? Currently we're just taking it in turns unless otherwise directed but as the rule book explicitly says that it shouldn't be a take turns game it feels rather peculiar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
You get start player by taking the action in the upper left of the board. If no one takes that action, first player never changes during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In every round the starting player places the first worker. Then you take turns placing workers until both of you have no more. You repeat for next round - the player who starts is either the same player or the player who took starting player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MisuVir
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jennym wrote:
Can anyone clarify what happens when no one wants the start player tile?

Nothing. The first player remains the same.

Before you start playing, one person HAS to be chosen to be the first player. They hold the token at the start of the game. If the second player never takes the token from them, the first player can remain the same the entire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that an extra wood is added to that space every round that nobody uses the square... so if nobody takes the action in the first round, then in round 2, it'll be worth 2 wood and the start player, in round 3, it'll be worth 3 wood and the start player. Eventually, there'll be enough wood to make it a good option.

(Though, once you get into the strategy of the game, there are times when you'll want to be start player pretty desperately anyway. Sometimes, even when you're already the start player, you'll want to take that action just to stop the other player taking the counter away from you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny M
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I appreciate it

Played about 5 games yesterday with my brother and he kept on winning - turned out he thought he could get an extra animal for each pair he had... Which explained the 18 horses (!!!). surprise

I won after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad you asked this question! I just purchased this game to play with my daughter and we had that situation come up a couple of times. This is such a fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.