Got Star Realms yesterday, just in time to have something to do Xmas Eve (not a trivial thing for us Jews)! A friend and I played a bunch of heads up [I won most of the games ] and then we tried the Co -op challenges.
The Nemesis Beast thing was a fun challenge, and we ended up victorious. For some reason I thought the pirates would be less difficult... boy was I wrong! They kicked our ass, twice! Well, each time we were 1 turn away from winning. I think... here are some questions about the co-op challenges:
1. When the Pirates kill one (of 2) players, does the other keep playing, or has the team lost? If you keep playing, do the pirates only scrap 1 card and attack once each turn? We assumed yes, as there was only 1 player left in the game.
2. When the Nemesis Beast does the "For each player: destroy a base or gain 3 Combat)" ability - does that mean they...
(a) look at each player and either destroy one of that players' bases or gain 3 combat?
Or (b) they look at the total number of bases, and destroy N of them (no matter who controls them), and gain +3 combat for each base fewer than N in play?
In other words, if we are 2 players, and I have 2 bases and you have none, do I lose both bases? Or do I lose 1 Base and the Nemesis gets +3 Combat?
3. What happens in the Co-op challenge when a Merc pops up (no color)? Do the players choose the effect that occurs? Does no effect occur?
So far I've really enjoyed Star Realms. It's as if they took Ascension and made it more fun! (no offense Justin!)
Hey Seth, Star Realms community manager Vito Gesualdi wtih some answers to your questions!
1. When one player is destroyed by the Pirates, other players remains in the game. You should adjust the number of revealed cards to represent the number of players remaining.
2. Since the players are acting as a team with a shared Authority score, the Beast treats them as a single player. B is the correct scenario.
3. The current rule for Merc Cruiser is that no ability triggers. Treat it like a lucky wild card in your challenge matchups!