steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
If you should recruit a worker at beginning of the age and you take one with stability its payed directly with -3 that i understand but now my question is: When the round ends does it require agian -3 stability or is it a one time penalty.

Cause with food its always -3 food at end off round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stability is always updated immediately, never during the production phase. So you take the -3 stability for the worker when you pick it in Growth, and never again after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
Ty for the quick reply. I tought so but i wanted to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
If you should recruit a worker at beginning of the age and you take one with stability its payed directly with -3 that i understand but now my question is: When the round ends does it require agian -3 stability or is it a one time penalty.

Cause with food its always -3 food at end off round.

It can be confusing but if it is a square, it is immediate.

If it is a circle, it is during production.

Thx,
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Circle - every production round
Square - immediately and one time only.

That I gathered from a very slow, careful, thoughtful reading of the rules. But I never saw this clearly spelled out in the rules. My question - is the Circle/Square iconology explained in the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
My question - is the Circle/Square iconology explained in the rules?

No, as it is not universal. For example the cost to deploy a worker is a small black circle, and the war resource loss is a big black circle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the iconography was causing some ripples in my group the other day. Some felt that the worker deploy cost should be shown as a square since it is a one-time cost. I even had one guy arguing that the deploy cost should be made every production phase because it's a circle, but that's clearly insane (well, at least it's clear to me).

I think the way I'll try to present it from now on is that squares should always be able to be tallied. Did you accidentally knock your military strength marker off the board? You should be able to quickly recalculate it from your squares. Circle just represent gains and losses that can't be tallied later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Yeah, the iconography was causing some ripples in my group the other day. Some felt that the worker deploy cost should be shown as a square since it is a one-time cost. I even had one guy arguing that the deploy cost should be made every production phase because it's a circle, but that's clearly insane (well, at least it's clear to me).

I think the way I'll try to present it from now on is that squares should always be able to be tallied. Did you accidentally knock your military strength marker off the board? You should be able to quickly recalculate it from your squares. Circle just represent gains and losses that can't be tallied later.

Actually, there is a card (I believe Hannibal) who forces everyone to lose 3 stability right away. This is a situation where one could recalculate if that leader is still not around.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
Trump wrote:

Actually, there is a card (I believe Hannibal) who forces everyone to lose 3 stability right away. This is a situation where one could recalculate if that leader is still not around.

Thx
jonpfl

Genghis Khan. Hannibal increases your raid value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Earley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Trump wrote:
Some felt that the worker deploy cost should be shown as a square since it is a one-time cost. I even had one guy arguing that the deploy cost should be made every production phase because it's a circle, but that's clearly insane (well, at least it's clear to me).

Wow, that's misleading iconography! And nothing I saw in the rules even hinted at this being a one-time cost, it just said to pay the cost during production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christophyr wrote:

Trump wrote:
Some felt that the worker deploy cost should be shown as a square since it is a one-time cost. I even had one guy arguing that the deploy cost should be made every production phase because it's a circle, but that's clearly insane (well, at least it's clear to me).

Wow, that's misleading iconography! And nothing I saw in the rules even hinted at this being a one-time cost, it just said to pay the cost during production.

You do not pay the worker deploy cost (bottom right of buildings and military) during production, you pay it when you deploy a worker on that building or unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Earley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry, I saw most of this thread as concerning recruitment cost, and I accidentally pulled the quote that covered deployment cost. That wasn't actually the rule that confused me. Deployment cost is clearly once only (as a worker is placed on a card). The confusing one was round black circles for recruiting...if that is a one time cost, the iconography is misleading. But if it's a recurring cost, yikes, this game just got much harder...

And I just re-read the rules and noticed the example on page 13 that says it costs you 3 food PER ROUND for each worker recruited from the food spots, so I guess the iconography wasn't misleading after all...ugh.

[Sidebar: Although this post is about the four left-most workers on your player mat, I'm not saying that paying 3 Stability per worker on the right side of the mat is any picnic either, thanks to the importance of Stability to event resolution and war mitigation!]

Maybe the wrong card mix came out for our first play, but I can't imagine more than one lucky player out of four getting the right mix of cards (colonies, maybe a food-based advisor or wonder, and the 1 or 2 building cards with food that will come out each age) to support more than one worker in this manner while also dealing with famine and perhaps paying their military in food...every battle would need to be used to collect food. And unless I'm missing something, it's not even until Age 4 that two building cards exist which allow a worker to produce more than 3 food and thereby a surplus of 1 food per meeple placed there.

Combine that with all the war cards that take away food, and man this game provides a good solid beat-down! Less like Through the Ages, more like "Galaxy Trucker Through the Ages"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, values printed in a square are deducted immediately, those printed in a circle are deducted every Production Phase that it is still visible. During production phases, pay no attention to any values printed in squares - they are deducted only the once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
christophyr wrote:
The confusing one was round black circles for recruiting...if that is a one time cost, the iconography is misleading. But if it's a recurring cost, yikes, this game just got much harder...

You only pay the stone cost when you deploy a worker in a building/military. If it stays there, the cost is not paid again. The symbol is smaller, like the symbol for paying stone on a wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Earley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

RustanR wrote:
You only pay the stone cost when you deploy a worker in a building/military. If it stays there, the cost is not paid again.

But the food cost for having recruited that worker from the bottom left side of your player mat *is* paid every round.

And my long post was about how much harder that makes the game than I thought it was (because on my first play someone taught me that the recruiting cost of the four left-side workers was paid only once, in the round in which the worker is acquired).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christophyr wrote:

RustanR wrote:
You only pay the stone cost when you deploy a worker in a building/military. If it stays there, the cost is not paid again.

But the food cost for having recruited that worker from the bottom left side of your player mat *is* paid every round.

And my long post was about how much harder that makes the game than I thought it was (because on my first play someone taught me that the recruiting cost of the four left-side workers was paid only once, in the round in which the worker is acquired).

Ok, I misunderstood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notion Perpetual
Greece
flag msg tools
if i deploy another worker on the same military building do i get more strength immediately ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
player26 wrote:
if i deploy another worker on the same military building do i get more strength immediately ?

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notion Perpetual
Greece
flag msg tools
Aganerral wrote:
player26 wrote:

Yes

Thx !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notion Perpetual
Greece
flag msg tools
Aganerral wrote:
player26 wrote:

Yes

...and if undeployed reduce his contribution only in Stability and Strength or Books as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.