6 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Event Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Farago
Canada
flag msg tools
So my wife and i played our first game of eldritch horror today. A few questions came up with the events. So the scenario that came up was one of the wilderness spaces had a ? to solve an ancient one mystery. My wife landed there to solve the mystery and during her event phase drew a general event card. Her card was the one that the wilderness section says lost your map in the woods. With a successful pass of the event it says move one space. The way we read it its not an optional move. Therefore she is now off of the ? Space and can't solve the mystery. With the mythos that we drew she had to spend one of her two clues and couldn't go back to solve it. I got a chance a few turns later. Before i drew my event card we needed to reshuffle the event deck. I drew the same event card as she drew.

So 3 questions.

First, at a glance have we followed the order of events etc. properly?

Second, is that movement as we suspected a non-optional move and is that the intention of that card?

Thirdly, when facing a skill check that a pass would prove worse than a fail, can you opt to force fail the skill check?

We ended up losing because of losing the two chances to close the mystery.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, generally interacting with the active mystery token counts as an encounter, so you should not have draw an encounter card. It's also unusual to reshuffle the encounter deck too soon... Are you taking generic location encounters every turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usbprime wrote:
So my wife and i played our first game of eldritch horror today. A few questions came up with the events. So the scenario that came up was one of the wilderness spaces had a ? to solve an ancient one mystery. My wife landed there to solve the mystery and during her event phase drew a general event card. Her card was the one that the wilderness section says lost your map in the woods. With a successful pass of the event it says move one space. The way we read it its not an optional move. Therefore she is now off of the ? Space and can't solve the mystery. With the mythos that we drew she had to spend one of her two clues and couldn't go back to solve it. I got a chance a few turns later. Before i drew my event card we needed to reshuffle the event deck. I drew the same event card as she drew.

So 3 questions.

First, at a glance have we followed the order of events etc. properly?

Second, is that movement as we suspected a non-optional move and is that the intention of that card?

Thirdly, when facing a skill check that a pass would prove worse than a fail, can you opt to force fail the skill check?

We ended up losing because of losing the two chances to close the mystery.

Thanks in advance.

1) No. Other than monsters, you in fact only encounter one thing during the encounter phase. It can either be the space, or a token that is present. The player chooses which they are encountering.

So, if she was on a wilderness space that also had a ? token, she would resolve EITHER the wilderness or the ?, not both.

2) Yes, I would believe that movement is probably not optional.

3) If the test itself isn't optional (as in 'may') I do not believe that there is anything allowing someone to automatically fail a test.

"To resolve a test, the investigator rolls a number of dice
equal to his value in the listed skill, taking into account any
effects that add or subtract from his skill. Investigators roll a
minimum of 1 die on each test."

Nothing in the rules allows the investigator to choose to roll fewer dice voluntarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Farago
Canada
flag msg tools
Ahhh thanks. We had started playing that way, but i read the rules and it read to me that you would pull a generic card on each square, then you would choose which token to clear.

So heres a follow up. If i'm on an empty location, and i want to cast clarvoiance, would i then not draw a generic card, but draw a clue card instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:

3) If the test itself isn't optional (as in 'may') I do not believe that there is anything allowing someone to automatically fail a test.

"To resolve a test, the investigator rolls a number of dice
equal to his value in the listed skill, taking into account any
effects that add or subtract from his skill. Investigators roll a
minimum of 1 die on each test."

Nothing in the rules allows the investigator to choose to roll fewer dice voluntarily.

Indeed. Also note that you must use the highest stat bonus. If you have +1 and +3 bonuses you cannot choose to use the +1. Usually this isn't a problem, but I wanted to use Flesh Ward in a game against Yog because I needed to use spells to solve the mystery and so I wanted to do poorly in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
usbprime wrote:
Ahhh thanks. We had started playing that way, but i read the rules and it read to me that you would pull a generic card on each square, then you would choose which token to clear.

So heres a follow up. If i'm on an empty location, and i want to cast clarvoiance, would i then not draw a generic card, but draw a clue card instead?

Yes, that spell allows you to encounter a clue on another space instead of encountering something on your space (although if there are monsters on your space you will still have to encounter them first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.