Subject: Extended patrol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Spinello
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
What is the purpose of the extended patrol rule, other than to punish the game player?
You are supposed to wipe out an entire month on the log pad because your U-boat historically stayed on patrol for an extended period, but if it is staying 'in the field', why don't we get additional chances to sink boats while we are there?

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not mistaken, for these U-Boats you will find certain Travel Boxes containing the x2 or x3 multiplier which indicates you roll that many additional times for possible engagements...so the likelihood of having more engagements is higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John,

Roughly speaking, Type VII boats went out for a month long patrol. Type IX boats went out usually for just shy of two months.

Therefore: a Type VII patrols a month, then has a month of refit.

a Type IX patrols, BUT is actually out at sea for two months. THEN it refits.

So there has to be a way to represent this on the log chart. Hence, a minimum Type IX patrol is 3 months: Patrol zone, "P" in the second month (still out at sea) then "R" (for refit) in the 3rd month.

This is why Type IX boats have more patrol boxes, they are out at sea longer. Gotta have time to burn those 22 torpedoes

Notice this rule does NOT apply to Type VII boats. So perhaps this is your confusion. Or perhaps you haven't noticed you have extra patrol boxes on the Type IX boats.

Anyway, I hope this makes sense.
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Collars
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:

This is why Type IX boats have more patrol boxes, they are out at sea longer. Gotta have time to burn those 22 torpedoes

I had this Ah Hah! moment yesterday when this clicked with me. Nicely done bit of design work there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Spinello
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The type IX mat is the only one that I have used so far so I have failed to compare them.
Makes sense now.

Thanks Greg and see you at Prezcon.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.