John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just how hard is the game (to grasp)? (i noticed the FAQ alone is page after page)...and what other games would you compare it to? again, "if" I can find it...will I be able to get it to the table with players who enjoy AOE, Lords of Waterdeep, ROW, Dominion, Pillars of the Earth, Stone Age, etc...

thanks, and Merry Christmas !!!

(also, I know it's a good solo game from the posts, but is it also fun to play solo?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly suggest looking at Rahdo's runthrough of the game. It gives you a great idea of the complexity and feel of the game, and you'll hardly need to read the rulebook after watching. It is a worker placement and resource management game, most similar to Stone Age out of the games you mentioned. It is more complex than SA, but since it is cooperative, only one player needs to know the game really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Hoffmann
Germany
Essenbach
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Bryon's assessment regarding complexity.

You need one player who knows the rules. These are quite some but I felt them fall into place very nicely and coherently, also as the game does a superb job supporting the rules through its iconography. Overall I would rate rules complexity similar to Eclipse.

If one player knows the rules, he can work with the turn overview to lead the game (the game, not the decisions. ). Thats how I did it yesterday playing with my wife and her brother. Worked well.

Cannot yet tell about the solo playability other than that I am really looking forward to try my luck solitair, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is absolutely fantastic and well worth the effort to learn. I would highly suggest printing out Castaways Quick Start Guide. It is hugely handy to have around and makes learning fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hard to learn. But it is definitely worth the pain.
I've owned and played many games that were harder to learn and far less satisfying!

IF you can find it, don't even hesitate, you won't regret it when you survive the Island for the first time and go all "yiipppeee, yiiihouuu yipppiyeaaaaah!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo has been suggested so I'll suggest Ricky Royal's playthrough on youtube. He is methodical and takes his time, you can almost keep up with him while playing the game for the first time yourself.

I didn't find the game difficult to manage at all thanks to his vids. If I had to rely on the rulebook then I would probably still be struggling.

Edit: and yes, it is fantastic solo. Right up there with Mage Knight. No other games are as good solo as those /opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HRune wrote:
I second Bryon's assessment regarding complexity.

You need one player who knows the rules. These are quite some but I felt them fall into place very nicely and coherently, also as the game does a superb job supporting the rules through its iconography. Overall I would rate rules complexity similar to Eclipse.

If one player knows the rules, he can work with the turn overview to lead the game (the game, not the decisions. ). Thats how I did it yesterday playing with my wife and her brother. Worked well.

Cannot yet tell about the solo playability other than that I am really looking forward to try my luck solitair, too.
I already have, but it's as long as a rule book...so I doubt I'd use it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right. So. I played this game for the first time last week and played it solo. I'm not a hugely intelligent person, so I'm not a massive fan of complex games. To date the most complex game iv played is T'zolken.
It took me an evening to understand how a round plays and what you can/can'tdo. But after a couple of rounds I was away, and didn't have any problems. Really enjoyed playing it, the theme really stands out, and I only lost on the very last turn because a huge winter storm came in and froze me to death before I could light the pyre.
My only gripe may be that the other scenarios Arnt all that clear about how to do the neccessary to win. We shall see.
Give it a go, once youv played a game you will have pretty much got all of the rules, and it's excellent solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazllion gushy fan-boy responses here-and lets face facts-the game has rocketed from unpublished to (what is is now #33?) in a very short time....but for me? Overly fiddly, dice thrower, with too many mini-rules that offset other rules, and so the FAQ, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
Gazllion gushy fan-boy responses here-and lets face facts-the game has rocketed from unpublished to (what is is now #33?) in a very short time....but for me? Overly fiddly, dice thrower, with too many mini-rules that offset other rules, and so the FAQ, etc...

I wonder... What's WRONG with you????
Why are you trolling EVERY RC threads like that????
Man no one forced you to buy this game or did they???? Has someone tried to RAPE you with a box of RC???

And NO I'm no fan-boy nor is my wife a fan-girl: we're both thirtyish adults with literally hundreds of different games under our belts together and yes we do love RC because it is a great, very narrative , very thematic game, easy to understand once you get the hang of it and ...

Oh...
Wait!!!
What am I doing??? blush

I am FEEDING THE TROLL!!!!!! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, I made the purchase (via ebay), and now am awaiting the game...thanks everyone for all your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
best of luck....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember - if you see something you want to react negatively to, flag it and forget it. DO NOT RESPOND. Responding only invites more in return, and you may end up dragging yourself down with other folks who have already been moderated.

Using the icon serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I highly suggest looking at Rahdo's runthrough of the game. It gives you a great idea of the complexity and feel of the game, and you'll hardly need to read the rulebook after watching. It is a worker placement and resource management game, most similar to Stone Age out of the games you mentioned. It is more complex than SA, but since it is cooperative, only one player needs to know the game really well.

Love the game but the rule book is awful. The first game I ever to spent 2 full nights learning and I play highly complex games without any trouble learning rules. Rahdo's Run Through It is necessary if you want to play this game within a few hours of unboxing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

Love the game but the rule book is awful. The first game I ever to spent 2 full nights learning and I play highly complex games without any trouble learning rules. Rahdo's Run Through It is necessary if you want to play this game within a few hours of unboxing.

Totally agree with this. Game desperately needs a round player guide too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Long time lurker on these boards, first time poster...

I just pulled the trigger on Ebay as well, since every store in the Austin area was sold out.

Based on the reviews and raves about this game on this site, I decided to give it a go, looks like a ton of fun.

I am pretty limited with my board gaming, mostly play Arkham Horror + expansions and Elder Sign + expansion (love the Cthulhu mythos and HP, in general).

I cannot wait to get stranded on an island and not survive!

Have a great new year all,

Dunwich74
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 479532. Dunwich74
  • 1d20 =
  • (6) =
  • Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:37 pm
  • [+]
  • 479542. Zathraz
  • 1d20 =
  • (11) =
  • Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:34 pm
  • [+]
  • 479548. happycatmachine
  • 1d20 =
  • (8) =
  • Roll for glory!
  • Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:52 pm
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Rahdo gets mentioned again, I'll mention Ricky Royal's vids. It's far longer over 12 episodes but his careful delivery allows all of the details to sink in. I watched it in the days before my copy arrived and when I opened the box I got the game to the table immediately without looking in the rules once.

I've since read them through and yes, they are pretty bad, even the second printing, but having the groundwork of Ricky's video allowed me to absorb them much better than if I'd had to go in completely green.

The playlist is over 2 hours long (!) while Rahdo's is quite brief. Just depends on your learning style I guess. I think absorbing the details works better with the slower pacing but that's me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAGwo63Mlw&list=PL5UyaJ4tfEq...

And Dunwich, I love me some Arkham, Elder Sign, and most recently Eldritch Horror. I'm re-reading the Fantasy Flight Arkham novels as well right now. Robinson scratches a similar but completely unique itch. This holiday I've alternated between Arkham, Eldritch and Robinson on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Kelly B -

Yeah, I was thinking about picking up Eldritch, read a lot of good things about it, but was really craving something with a different theme this time around. I agree too, it seems that the two bodies of fiction would scratch the same itch, in a game play setting - Survival, the odds being against you, resource management, tension, etc... I get the feeling that RC will also convey the feeling of, "the game knows", much like Arkham.

Cheers,

Dunwich74

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunwich74 wrote:
Kelly B -

Yeah, I was thinking about picking up Eldritch, read a lot of good things about it, but was really craving something with a different theme this time around. I agree too, it seems that the two bodies of fiction would scratch the same itch, in a game play setting - Survival, the odds being against you, resource management, tension, etc... I get the feeling that RC will also convey the feeling of, "the game knows", much like Arkham.

Cheers,

Dunwich74

Tension, that is definitely something Robinson offers in bucket (ahem) loads. One of the tensest single player experiences I've ever had to be fair. Well, discounting Space Alert and other 'timed' games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:

I wonder... What's WRONG with you????
Why are you trolling EVERY RC threads like that????
Man no one forced you to buy this game or did they???? Has someone tried to RAPE you with a box of RC???

And NO I'm no fan-boy nor is my wife a fan-girl: we're both thirtyish adults with literally hundreds of different games under our belts together and yes we do love RC because it is a great, very narrative , very thematic game, easy to understand once you get the hang of it and ...

Oh...
Wait!!!
What am I doing??? blush

I am FEEDING THE TROLL!!!!!! shake

Yeah same idiot trolled Archipelago. Admins should really sort this fool out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Finally got my copy today, component complete!

Stoked! Going to be tearing into this later this week.

Any advice for first time players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunwich74 wrote:
Finally got my copy today, component complete!

Stoked! Going to be tearing into this later this week.

Any advice for first time players?

The Box of Delights video series was great. Pretty long, but it gives you a serious head start playing (partly seeing some of the mistakes made, and what not to do). I won my first two solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.