Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A family member recently dove into gaming. So far it's been light fare, but she's very committed to gaming.

She's picked up Munchkin and asked me to teach her to play.

I'm happy to do so. I'm also expecting the day when she wants to go to the next level.

I'm not familiar with all the Munchkin expansions, and with all due respect, don't want to get familiar with them. It's ok if the expansions raise the game to a new level. I'm just not a fan, sorry. I'm looking for a different game, one that doesn't contain the word "Munchkin" in its title.

So, after we play Munchkin so much it's time to step up to something deeper, but not too deep, what would be that game? Wanting to stick with cards, I thought of Cutthroat Caverns, mainly because I still have it. The Red Dragon Inn might be good, too, but I traded that away.

What do you recommend as the next step up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'll save you a seat at the table!
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I would recommend Smash Up. Easy to play. Has a humorous theme but a bit more complexity with the same feel. Plays best with 2-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up is a lot of fun. Here's a couple more to look into.

Hive
Forbidden Island
Dungeon Roll
Coin Age
Zombie Dice
Fluxx
Summoner Wars

These are just a few off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Smash Up looks like the next, better card game.

She already has Zombie dice and loves it.

She's not interested in 2-player at this time, so that knocks several off the list.

Zombie Fluxx might be interesting to her.

Thought about Dungeon Roll. I love it solo! However, I can imagine downtime being too much with more than 2 players.

Love Forbidden Island, and thought to give it to her. Just wasn't the right time.

Not looking for a new purchase. What about Sentinels of the Multiverse? Too much too soon after Munchkin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think after Munchkin should come another easy to conceptualize deck builder like the DC Deck Builder, LOTR deck builder, or Ascension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talked to her some more. Mary Jo, her real name, doesn't understand what Munchkin is mocking. So she doesn't connect with the narrative OR the mechanics!

The problem, then, is not what I first thought--"the next step up"--but how to get her a frame of reference.

Any ideas for that? Or is this even a Munchkin question anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not getting the humor or the mechanics? What does she like about the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigIV wrote:
Not getting the humor or the mechanics? What does she like about the game?
Wil Wheaton. She's an avid TableTop viewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, we have a couple of good options, then. If she is a fan of a particular genre that Munchkin has parodied, you would be better off getting that genre's version of Munchkin and trading off the base game or find other games that were reviewed on Tabletop that she liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Taking a look now!
Took a look. The closest RPG TableTop episode I could find was on Lords of Waterdeep, which is close but no cigar.

I'll keep looking....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd go with Smallworld.

Not only is it on tabletop, it's also fantasy themed and is 3-6 players.

Munchkin and Smallworld are hands down my favorite board games...so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maskedllama wrote:
... If she is a fan of a particular genre that Munchkin has parodied, you would be better off getting that genre's version of Munchkin and trading off the base game or find other games that were reviewed on Tabletop that she liked.
Good advice. She wants to play Munchkin only because of the Wheaton review. But what you're saying, I think, is there's a lot more to the game than that!

I'll let her know. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quigman wrote:
Personally, I'd go with Smallworld.
To be honest, I don't think she's there yet. I really admire her venturing out into the geekness and enjoying herself. Everything she's brought to family gatherings has been super light. I've probed a little. She's not even familiar with Ticket to Ride.

I don't know where this is heading. She could burn out, go forward, or who knows what. I'm guessing she'll stay light. Not that Smallworld isn't. Just that it has strategy and thinking. Haven't seen those things in the games she's picked so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.