Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As people normally don't bother to go to the magicthegathering.com during the holidays for its expected reruns, it would be a nice surprise to go there on Christmas, see a huge banner with a female merfolk riding the waves...

I guess that leaves only the G/W planeswalker left in the checklist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

goodshepherd wrote:

And is it still the consensus among Magic predictors that the G/W planeswalker will be the new Ajani?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:

goodshepherd wrote:

And is it still the consensus among Magic predictors that the G/W planeswalker will be the new Ajani?

It is the most touted (and likely) of predictions, but given that the major driving force of planeswalker flavor is the storyline,... we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stall for three turns, then get a free kraken every turn forever? That's a path to victory...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Wizards finally got around to printing her.

Seems solid and fun to build around. I'd be surprised if she didn't see competitive play with her -2 giving you a free Explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Webb
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it's strong enough to see competitive play. Spending 4 mana, +1ing her then having her die to lightning strike would be pretty painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:

goodshepherd wrote:

The same people that insisted that Gideon 2 would be W/R?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She's a mediocre planeswalker, but for her abilities she could probably have been 3 mana.

Her +1 is oddly worded. If your opponents control no permanents (unlikely as that may be)you can't activate this ability. If instead it had been worded up to one permanent... She could fire it off.

The +1 is also wierd because your opponent's permanent can't deal or receive damage. So you can't neutralize their biggest creature to attack through it. I guess it takes out Boros Reckoner nicely.

The -1 is fine, Explore is a great spell when you have an additional land to play. Turn 4, sometimes you won't have that 5th land to take advantage of it and that makes it much worse in standard.

Her ultimate is turn 8 at best and that probably means you been under very little pressure and almost anything else could have have had more impact than Kiora.

Honestly she looks like a planeswalker made for commander where your opponent is always your opponent and games go long enough where the ultimate and the explores might be relevant, and her ability to neutralize giant creatures until your next turn (which could four or five turns) could be relevant.

In standard she'll be slow and vulnerable to haste creatures, which are almost always being played in standard. If she was 3 mana she would get her explore off and ramp you before she died and that would be okay for some decks. At 4 mana I don't think she will impact the game to see much play.

I'm not sure how good she'll be in limited. A couple 2/2's will eat her up so you basically will need something in play to protect her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
She's a mediocre planeswalker, but for her abilities she could probably have been 3 mana.

Her +1 is oddly worded. If your opponents control no permanents (unlikely as that may be)you can't activate this ability. If instead it had been worded up to one permanent... She could fire it off.

The +1 is also wierd because your opponent's permanent can't deal or receive damage. So you can't neutralize their biggest creature to attack through it. I guess it takes out Boros Reckoner nicely.

The -1 is fine, Explore is a great spell when you have an additional land to play. Turn 4, sometimes you won't have that 5th land to take advantage of it and that makes it much worse in standard.

Her ultimate is turn 8 at best and that probably means you been under very little pressure and almost anything else could have have had more impact than Kiora.

Honestly she looks like a planeswalker made for commander where your opponent is always your opponent and games go long enough where the ultimate and the explores might be relevant, and her ability to neutralize giant creatures until your next turn (which could four or five turns) could be relevant.

In standard she'll be slow and vulnerable to haste creatures, which are almost always being played in standard. If she was 3 mana she would get her explore off and ramp you before she died and that would be okay for some decks. At 4 mana I don't think she will impact the game to see much play.

I'm not sure how good she'll be in limited. A couple 2/2's will eat her up so you basically will need something in play to protect her.

The +1 ability is essentially Gaseous Form for a turn, but one that can shut down even lands like Mutavault.

You'll probably have to adjust your land count to ensure you benefit from these land drops, but there was a time we were willing to pay -1 for just the the first part of the ability.

The ultimate may be turn 7, but this is probably the most realistic ultimate to trigger outside of Garruk Wildspeaker. Sacrificing Kiora for a 9/9 every end step until the end of the game (or until Karn resets the game) may not be such a bad deal.

Pundits are suggesting Kiora for Bant Control, coupled with Sylvan Caryatid for +1 turn and later defense. The tide also seems to be shifting towards non-monocolored more controllish decks with the winners of Grand Prix Shizuoka, though aggro is still available in the top tiers for now. It is probably now or never for Kiora once Born of the gods comes out, but I am optimistic about her chances...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:

I think in limited she will be amazing. Two 2/2s only kill her if you have no creatures yourself, which would be quite unfortunate. Hopefully you will have at least a Nessian Courser or the like. On top of that, so much of the limited format so far has revolved around building up one big threat (all of monstrous, bestow, and heroic push you in this direction). That means players are spending sometimes 5 and 6 cards on one creature that Kiora can then just immediately lock down.

Even if my opponent is able to make a bunch of attacks to kill Kiora, likely I will be able to make some favorable blocks. Of course, if they have Lightning Strike or Spark Jolt in hand when you cast her, that is not great (but is still a two for one if I -1'd her).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
The +1 ability is essentially Gaseous Form for a turn, but one that can shut down even lands like Mutavault.

Or really egregious lands like Vakalut. Or hurty enchantments like Burning Earth. Or hurty planeswalkers like Chandra, Pyromaster. Or when you want to shut down a creature whose imminent threat of damage is non-combat damage, like a Polukranos or a Crypt Rats.

Really, likening it to Gaseous Form is only a small facet of what it accomplishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:

Are you seriously complaining that she can't activate her +1 when you've managed to get rid of all your opponent's permanents? Your opponent is either about to scoop because you've just thoroughly obliterated them, or about to win from some insane combo deck. The game is over, for all practical purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
Vollick1979 wrote:

Are you seriously complaining that she can't activate her +1 when you've managed to get rid of all your opponent's permanents? Your opponent is either about to scoop because you've just thoroughly obliterated them, or about to win from some insane combo deck. The game is over, for all practical purposes.

Other more feasible and threatening situations include your opponent resolving two Privileged Positions.

However, the premise of this is wonky. The way that planewalker abilities work is like any other ability: pay the cost, then resolve the ability. The cost of the planeswalker ability is add +1 loyalty. The ability could then theoretically fizzle, but the cost is still paid, and you still get to keep the loyalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:

However, the premise of this is wonky. The way that planewalker abilities work is like any other ability: pay the cost, then resolve the ability. The cost of the planeswalker ability is add +1 loyalty. The ability could then theoretically fizzle, but the cost is still paid, and you still get to keep the loyalty.

You need to declare the ability first, and you can't do so if it doesn't have valid targets, so you can't activate her +1 if the opponent has no targetable permanents. (This is the case for all abilities, not just Planeswalkers.). That's why some Planeswalkers have torturous up-to-one wording on their plus abilities, so they can always gain loyalty. I agree with WotC, though, that the extra complexity of it is not worth it on this card, given the extreme corner case that is no targetable permanents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
Vollick1979 wrote:

I suppose it's possible that on turn 4, your opponent has no creatures, no enchantments, no planeswalkers, no lands (not even a basic land), and no artifacts.

But then they likely have bigger problems than you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinter Benson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks freakin' Sweet! She has a weak starting loyalty (making her vulnerable to burn) but she makes up for it with a tempo boost ability and the ability to swarm your opponent with massive Krakens. This will be absolutely devastating when it hits play, hope I pull her in a pack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.