Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » General

Subject: Combine train cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it ok to combine the 1910 train cards with the Europe cards to give a larger pool of carriage color options?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Strictly speaking its not the quantity of cards that is interesting, but the ratio of cards. As long as you keep the ratios the same, adding more cards in just means you shuffle less often.

It works fine as is for me, but if you feel strongly about it go for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More cards also means you can have longer streaks of certain colors not showing up for a while.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
DoomTurtle wrote:
More cards also means you can have longer streaks of certain colors not showing up for a while.


If you keep the ratios the same this is statistically irrelevant.

But yeah, it could happen.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For tunnels and similar rules, it does increase the number available to make those routes cost more. For example, there have been times that I've observed most of a given color card are either already discarded or likely in hand (say, 6-7 discarded, 3 in hand, 1 face up and someone has 1 already drawn), I know my chances of those coming up when drawing for tunnels is pretty much nil. If there are 24 instead of 12, I can't make that assumption.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Strictly speaking its not the quantity of cards that is interesting, but the ratio of cards. As long as you keep the ratios the same, adding more cards in just means you shuffle less often.


This isn't true. It removes a lot of tension in the game. There aren't enough cards of a color to lay all tracks of that color on the board with a regular deck of cards. This can certainly give some tension if you hold lots of one color, and don't put them down till after the deck is shuffled. This makes it less likely other people can complete routes of that color (certainly the long routes), without spending a lot of wild cards for this.

If you double the amount of cards, this tension is gone and it isn't feasible anymore to block a color.

While doubling the cards maybe isn't a big game changer in casual games, it will nullify some strategies that are possible with a smaller deck, that can give an advantage in the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I'd thought of that, but considered withholding a single colour to be a really marginal strategy - its only a single colour, and you're taking up a metric tonne of actions to build up the repository.

But if you've seen that actually work in a game then indeed, its a strategy that is undermined.

Honestly I see no valuable reason to implement this anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More cards means it becomes more difficult to collect all (or almost all) cards of a certain colour, to keep other players from getting those cards.

I've never done it myself, but I once played against such a player, and it was not fun. It became one of the lowest scoring games I've ever played.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The deck ratios are identical - 14 wilds, 12 of each color. Since I play mostly with my kids and wife color blocking is a non-issue (though it has happened inadvertently).

Will give it a try. If it removes a lot of tension will revert.

Thanks all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I'd thought of that, but considered withholding a single colour to be a really marginal strategy - its only a single colour, and you're taking up a metric tonne of actions to build up the repository.

But if you've seen that actually work in a game then indeed, its a strategy that is undermined.

Honestly I see no valuable reason to implement this anyway.
If you do a lot of top deck draws and end up with a lot of a single color, then may as well make use of them. I reckon it hurts you more to hoard them for the rest. However, in these cases, 1) I try to see who else needs the color and 2) depending on whether or not I'll need those colors again, I'll spend them before the reshuffle if I need them, or after if I won't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
More cards also means you can have longer streaks of certain colors not showing up for a while.


If you keep the ratios the same this is statistically irrelevant.

But yeah, it could happen.



I have played this game (multiple sets) enough to notice that these cards seem highly resistant to shuffling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.