Hide
7 Posts

Libertalia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Partially Hidden Booty Tile Variation (addressing tie-breakers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deny Everything
msg tools
Was thinking about this issue (just recently got the game, but only just found out about it) where there are advantages for certain colors against other colors. Additionally, knowing the tie-breaker numbers would give players an advantage.

So my idea for the variation is this.

1) Place booty tiles face up as normal.

2) Play card face down.

3) Re-shuffle the booty tiles and place them face down. You are using the same booty tiles, but now no one knows which one is which.

4) Turn cards face up and determine order.

5)a) If there are no duplicates for a given card, that player who played that card can look at each of the face-down booty tokens, and choose one. He then places it face up in his den.

5)b) If there are duplicates of a given card, each player chooses one card randomly and flips them simultaneously. (I suppose this order needs a mechanism, but since each player has no means to know which token is which, it doesn't have an impact on play.)

This would remove the current tie-breaking system, which can be memorized and thus allow players to gain an advantage (which I wouldn't necessarily call unfair, but I would say is detrimental to the game), with randomization which should make it feel more fair.

Additionally, this would have a no impact given any other situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This variation only addresses the tie when it comes to taking booty at dusk. It doesn't alter the fact that position in the ship can be significant during the day. For example if the first two positions on the ship are tied and one of the earlier pirates is the Brute (who kills off the highest position) then it does kind of matter what order the tied pirates have been put on the ship.

Speaking for myself I have never found the official tie-breaking rule to be a problem. Perhaps I don't play often enough, but I've no idea which colours beat which other colours for which pirates. I'm happy to treat it as part of the chaos of the game, and to be pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised by whatever ensues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Having cards with different level and powers is the main thing in this game. All decks have strong and weak points, in the end it's how you play the cards against your opponents that is really important. Trying to figure how your opponents will play and bluff them on how you will play is the key.

If you really want to cut the game, play it as there's no 1-6 and roll a die instead. I don't like it, but I saw someone who play like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deny Everything
msg tools
mathmethman wrote:
This variation only addresses the tie when it comes to taking booty at dusk. It doesn't alter the fact that position in the ship can be significant during the day. For example if the first two positions on the ship are tied and one of the earlier pirates is the Brute (who kills off the highest position) then it does kind of matter what order the tied pirates have been put on the ship.

Speaking for myself I have never found the official tie-breaking rule to be a problem. Perhaps I don't play often enough, but I've no idea which colours beat which other colours for which pirates. I'm happy to treat it as part of the chaos of the game, and to be pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised by whatever ensues.

I don't have an issue with it per see, it just bothers me on principle. So I agree that it's fine as is, but if I don't address it, it'd irritate me.

But no, this variant does not address that. However, you could continue with the idea of the variant and shuffle the duplicate cards, randomly distribute them (just make sure you cover the portion of the card that is differently colored), and then use the tiebreaker numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had an issue with the official tie breaking rules. I always looked at the tie breaker as part of my strategy on how and when to play my cards.

But instead of placing the booty tiles face down, why don't you shuffle the duplicate cards and reveal them one by one and place them in that order on the ship?

I also saw a variant where the flags are used to determined the tie breaker for the round.

I have never tried any of them myself though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deny Everything
msg tools
Stefan B wrote:
Having cards with different level and powers is the main thing in this game. All decks have strong and weak points, in the end it's how you play the cards against your opponents that is really important. Trying to figure how your opponents will play and bluff them on how you will play is the key.

If you really want to cut the game, play it as there's no 1-6 and roll a die instead. I don't like it, but I saw someone who play like this.

not sure what you mean by this. my impression was that each deck was meant to be and play the same. nor do I understand what you mean by "cut the game"

unless you really are saying that you feel that tiebreaker variations are an intended strategic element, rather than an attempt at randomizing tiebreakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deny Everything
msg tools
Deltas wrote:
I never had an issue with the official tie breaking rules. I always looked at the tie breaker as part of my strategy on how and when to play my cards.

But instead of placing the booty tiles face down, why don't you shuffle the duplicate cards and reveal them one by one and place them in that order on the ship?

I also saw a variant where the flags are used to determined the tie breaker for the round.

I have never tried any of them myself though.

Because.... ummm.... shoot. I think that does just work better.

As far as flags go, eh. I hate over complicating games with fluff pieces. I appreciate/understand them and why they are often included, but I typically throw away anything not necessary for play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.