Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an ongoing game I ran into a situation that doesn't seem to be covered by the rules:
What happens if I capture a unique ships with my BDs and want to keep it? Obviously I'd have to change my unique ship design (scuttling any ships of the old design I might currently have)
Is that redesign free or do I have to pay 5 cp in the next econ phase though?

I'm tending towards paying, but wanted to see what other think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martenis
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your BDs capture a DN, you get to keep and use it, even if you haven't paid the tech cost for Size 6. So I would say you don't have to pay the 5 CPs to keep and use a Unique.

I do think you would have to pay the 5 CP redesign if you wanted to build more of those Uniques, however, just as you'd have to pay the tech cost to build more DNs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul nailed it. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answer!
I take it unique ships would provide ship size technology of the level needed to build them if scrapped for technology, right?
E.g. a 10cp unique ship could provide up to SS3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer!
I take it unique ships would provide ship size technology of the level needed to build them if scrapped for technology, right?
E.g. a 10cp unique ship could provide up to SS3.

This question did not come up in playtesting. So my answer is only 99% sure.

I see no reason why you could not scrap a Unique Ship to gain a Ship Size Tech Level. Provided that the Unique Ship took a Ship Size Tech Level greater than what you have researched to build.

Based on Jim and Paul’s posts I wish that I played more multiplayer games with Unique Ships and Boarding Ships. I could have my own “Rag Tag Fugitive Fleet”. Build 1 Unique Ship, capture 3 other Unique Ships from three Different Players, capture 2 more Unique Ships after the other players have done a redesign and then I am in control of 6 Unique Ships that are all different. Very silly, hard to pull off, but a big pile of counters in one hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.