Jon Prichard
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, got this game yesterday and it's great so far. Just had a couple questions and wondering if anyone could help.

If I have 2 characters in a location, and Player A draws a monster, can both players roll to Check if the monster is defeated (while it is still Player A's go)

If I draw a card which summons monsters on all characters (and the characters are in seperate locatins) do they have to roll to check to defeat straight away? So no blessing card is drawn?

When I don't defeat a barrier, does that get shuffled back into it's location deck?

If I face a monster that requires magic to defeat, can I still use a non-magic attack to lessen the amount of damage I receive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
bobhoffnee wrote:
Hello, got this game yesterday and it's great so far. Just had a couple questions and wondering if anyone could help.

If I have 2 characters in a location, and Player A draws a monster, can both players roll to Check if the monster is defeated (while it is still Player A's go)

Only if the monster requires 2 separate checks to defeat it. The current hero must attempt at least 1 of the 2 checks.
If the monster requires only 1 check, the 2nd hero may help by playing certain cards / using certain abilities that could help the current hero.

bobhoffnee wrote:
If I draw a card which summons monsters on all characters (and the characters are in seperate locatins) do they have to roll to check to defeat straight away? So no blessing card is drawn?

Indeed, all heroes must combat their monsters during the current turn.

bobhoffnee wrote:
When I don't defeat a barrier, does that get shuffled back into it's location deck?

Yes, unless stated otherwise.

bobhoffnee wrote:
If I face a monster that requires magic to defeat, can I still use a non-magic attack to lessen the amount of damage I receive?

Yes you can ... and it is then shuffled into it's deck (unless stated otherwise)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, only the character that encounters the monster can attempt the check to defeat the monster. Exception in spoiler, as this pertains to some later cases, though it is covered in the rulebook.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Some banes will have one check, followed by THEN (not OR), followed by another check. (Essentially two or more checks.) The character that encounters said bane must attempt at least one of these checks, but if there are other characters here, they can attempt the others.

2. Yes.

3. Unless the barrier gives you the option to banish it even if undefeated, like some of the chests, then, like other banes, they get shuffled back if undefeated. Note that there is errata for the Ambush card. See the FAQ for more details.

4. Yes, that is the best you can hope for in that circumstance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Prichard
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the replies!

Just had another quick question, when you finish Brigandoom and want to do another scenario seperately you have to build your deck again. So what's the point in receiving the card as a reward from completing Brigandoom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bobhoffnee wrote:

Just had another quick question, when you finish Brigandoom and want to do another scenario seperately you have to build your deck again. So what's the point in receiving the card as a reward from completing Brigandoom?

You don't build your deck from scratch between scenarios. You reconcile your deck to conform to its card type limits. You can choose from all the cards you possess after the scenario. Extra cards are returned to the box. If you are short of a particular card type, you may go to the box for cards of the needed type as long as they have the basic trait. But you can't return cards to the box just because you don't want them. The party must meet its requirements with the cards everyone possesses, if possible. You can trade freely with other part members at this stage.

Basically just think of it as the whole party pooling their cards together to form a pool from which everyone must pick in order to reconcile their deck to its limits. If anyone is unable to do this with the cards they have or others don't want, you can use basic trait cards from the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobhoffnee wrote:

The game is intended to be a continuous campaign, where your characters progress as you play each scenario and "level up." They do allow for you to play scenarios individually, even out of continuity order, and the rewards don't quite matter if you play the game that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Prichard
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you pick a non basic card as the reward can you have it in your deck for the next scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobhoffnee wrote:
So if you pick a non basic card as the reward can you have it in your deck for the next scenario?

Sure. The same goes for any boons that you may acquire during the adventure, and not just the ones in the reward portion of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some of the same questions. Thank you guys for replying and clearing it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bobhoffnee wrote:

Yes. The only times you have to worry about the basic trait requirement is when you are starting a brand new character or when you need to go to the box between scenarios because you don't have enough of a particular type in the party's pool to reconcile everyone's deck.

After you start deck 3, the basic restriction is removed in these situations, and you can choose any card from the base set or any deck two numbers lower than your current adventure deck. So, for instance, after starting deck 3, you can choose any card from the base set or deck 1 when creating a character or going to the box between scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.