16 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Genesis or Spin cycle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone have opinions on why I should expand into 1 cycle or the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genesis, because

A. It's complete.
B. It has at least 1 ID per pack.
C. It has lots of staple cards (Plascrete, Kati, Eli, Andromeda, etc. and awesome agendas for each faction).
D. Just get get both plus Deluxes plus extra Cores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:

Both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Genesis, because

A. It's complete.
B. It has at least 1 ID per pack.
C. It has lots of staple cards (Plascrete, Kati, Eli, Andromeda, etc. and awesome agendas for each faction).
D. Just get get both plus Deluxes plus extra Cores.

A. i will not be buying all at once, only 1 pack @ a time.
D. i always play against same opponent, so based on other forum posts it seems is not necessary to get more then 1 core.

should i get deluxe before starting genesis cycle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
CAT81 wrote:

Both.

only one @ a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the deluxe expansion, then Genesis cycle, then Spin cycle. Also, you will probably *eventually* want another core or two simply because of the cards that appear as one-ofs or two-ofs in the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:

Only if HB and Shapers are your favorite factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
CAT81 wrote:

Only if HB and Shapers are your favorite factions.

Nobody new to the game knows which factions are his/hers favorite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus side is that shaper is easier to play then criminal or anarch. I feel that the bioroids give the proper sense of early danger that you can spend resources clicks to get around.
I feel that creation and control is a good first purchase after the core set.
I never start teaching anyone by having them run on jinteki. I teach them to play corp with jinteki though.

Genesis cycle first, before spin. I feel that Genesis defined what the corps are and spin is refining it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
As lovely as all these "---------" responses are, here is something that someone put quite a bit of thought into, and I think it might help you out. :)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14329786
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy one of each every month, there's good stuff in both. And it's fun to keep up with new releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genesis is more friendly to a new player, and has more generally useful cards. It feels more or less like the second half of the core set. Creation and Control and Spin feel like more advanced expansions, they tend to be complex, interesting, and relatively narrow. If you're new and thinking about expanding from Core the most useful cycle is Genesis right now.

On the other hand, if you're planning on eventually owning all the expansions, I'd recommend buying packs as they come out, and then picking up the older ones when you have the time/money/find them for sale. Buying into this game is fairly intimidating, and if you keep up with current releases and then pick up older packs over time, you'll fell like you're catching up, rather than feeling like you're under pressure not to fall farther behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cassidy zimmerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
start with Genesis, beginning with What Lies Ahead, because that begins to fill in the gaps faster than any other pack. After that, I think you could easily mix and match between Spin Cycle and Genesis as there's no tremendous value to be completionist on one cycle before starting another cycle. It wouldn't even hurt to have some Spin and some Genesis, and there's no pack that's entirely substandard cards.

If you like shaper at all, then Creation and Control is paramount though, because that expansion actually gave Shaper a way to play besides the slow build to a big rig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cassidy zimmerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:
[q="kroen"]Genesis, because

D. i always play against same opponent, so based on other forum posts it seems is not necessary to get more then 1 core.

even if it's against the same opponent, you'll find certain decks or strategies NEED at least 2 core sets to function. many two-fer cards you'll wish were three (chum, data mine, scorched earth, archer, datasucker) and the one offs you almost always will need 2 (desperado, sansan, corporate troubleshooter) to be consistent.

You can always play without them, but I'd say a second core has more value than some data packs, especially if you find you prefer certain factions to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Future Proof and Humanity's Shadow are great packs in the Genesis Cycle to get more early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, start with What Lies Ahead. The agendas give you so many more deckbuilding options...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.