Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules specifically made note that unlike other games, when you discard unwanted tickets, you place them face up and shuffle when you need more. Does this mean that you can look through the discard pile to see if you might possibly want future tickets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poke450 wrote:
The rules specifically made note that unlike other games, when you discard unwanted tickets, you place them face up and shuffle when you need more. Does this mean that you can look through the discard pile to see if you might possibly want future tickets?

I would say NO!! You can't shuffle through the cards to look for one you're interested in. I think you just put them face-up to tell them apart from the draw pile but you can't handle them. You could see the top card, though. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't specify, so it's up to house rule to decide. Since it is recordable information, we would play that you could look through the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that you can just handpick your tickets from the discards. Heck I would do nothing but draw tickets the second half of the game if that were the case-easy points!

But I don't know why this expansion is different with having a ticket discard pile. That is unique. It might have to do with neutral player design in that both players know that the pile has been reset when it is shuffled

Or with multiplayer too. When ticket pile runs out, discards are shuffled this announcing a sort of "reset"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they're saying that they can 'handpick' the cards they want. Simply that they can look through the discard pile to see if there are any useable ones later on.

I would say the answer is a resounding no because normally the Destination cards are totally hidden. It's something new (like you point out) to have a different discard pile, but it would be taking it too far to let players browse through the pile looking at tickets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
But if it is no, then you're penalizing players with bad memories for no good reason. If it is open information at one point, unless there is a really good reason to make it closed, it should stay open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
But if it is no, then you're penalizing players with bad memories for no good reason. If it is open information at one point, unless there is a really good reason to make it closed, it should stay open.

Who said it was open information at one point? It was only open to the player who looked at the cards...then only the top card is seen by anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
We've been playing with the discards face down, still separated from the ticket draw pile. Basically just like when we play Switzerland, and discarded tickets are out of the game completely, except in this version we still reshuffle the deck when it is exhausted.

I think the only reason they added this rule was so that when playing the two player version with the dummy, you know when the dummy should stop taking turns. If the ticket deck runs out or if the dummy player has to build a route it doesn't have enough trains for, then the dummy is done. But the two human players still get to reshuffle the ticket deck after that point.

With 3 players and up, it doesn't seem to matter that much whether you keep ticket discards separate or put them back on the bottom of the deck like in other versions of TTR, except that you're going to see rejected tickets in a different order the second time around. Since you don't know the order of the ones you didn't personally reject (and since my card counting skills are terrible anyway), this to me is more or less a moot point.

In 2P, both players see every ticket that is drawn for the sake of the dummy player building a route, so it may matter more that you know which tickets will not be seen again until you reshuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.