Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG'ers,

I am looking for a game mat for the upcoming Warhammer: Diskwars! Some research has led me to Hotzmats (felt) and Zuzzy (rubber).

Does anyone have experience with these companies and their products? Good or bad? Any other recommendations for a gaming mat for Diskwars and maybe future games?

Any and all suggestions welcome!

PS. Just came across http://www.mondayknight.com/ too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Hotzmats blue felt mat for my Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea gaming. It's great, and I highly recommend it! One suggestion - roll it when storing it, rather than folding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I use a Hotzmats blue felt mat

Got the exact same one - we use it for our (modified) The Uncharted Seas games.

Our wargame group has a number of different Hotzmats and they're all excellent from a price/quality pov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

Our wargame group has a number of different Hotzmats and they're all excellent from a price/quality pov

I am just a little concerned because there are a number of threads that talk about him not responding for weeks at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased my first mat from Zuzzy about 2 weeks ago. When I received it, I instantly put a base coat on it, realized how awesome the detail is and put in a second order. Today I am actually putting the finishing touches on the first mat, and the second one just hit my doorstep. Again, awesome detail to it.

I also like that you can order them at variable custom sizes. I am currently starting up a Strange Aeons set of games and having roll out colorful mats at 2'x3' will make setup that much quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Gray color only works with the "Ash" type matt and even then I would want at least 2 other colors there (I picked one that is clay red). The others all contain grass so need some green on them.

Easy as pie though, just lightly water down some acrylic paint from the craft aisle and brush it on. Wait a day, look for gray splotches, and recoat them. Wait a day, water down a darker (green for me) and brush it on randomly (so it gets in the crevasses. Wait a day and pick up the drybrush colors and go to town. To me, that was actually the fun part, finding all the little part of the matt I wanted to stand out.

This was the first time I have painted one, i just followed this nice guide and I am EXTREMELY happy with how it turned out (except one tree I decided to try using Polyshades wood stain on to fill the recesses but that was easily fixed).

http://www.zuzzy.com/2013/09/how-to-paint-your-gaming-mat.ht...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

I am just a little concerned because there are a number of threads that talk about him not responding for weeks at a time.

I can't really comment. I went in with another guy on my order, and all I know is that it arrived in good order after a reasonable wait and I've been happy with the product. I will say this purchase was from about 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't know what the current situation is with Hotz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.