Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for the names of the locations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I really enjoy this game and I also want to write proper session reports for it. However, the numbered locations kind of hinder me as my rather mediocre geographic knowledge leaves me wondering about which cities or towns could be meant (especially with some of the wilderness locations, like the one east of Tunguska).

Mind you, I am not looking for the special locations (like Mu), since they are mentioned explicitly in their respective events if they are actually reached, but rather the real-world locations.

The ones I found in the card decks thus far are:

5 - Minneapolis
6 - San Antonio
7 - Panama (this one I actually guessed correctly beforehand, yay :) :) :) )
8 - Bermuda Triangle (or maybe Bermudas ?)
14 - Helsinki
15 - Cape Town (an easy one, I guess :) :) )
16 - Krasnoyarsk
17 - Bombay (another obvious one)

which leaves 13 unnamed locations that can make things really difficult when re-telling the adventures of the investigator(s).

Is there any official information or do people have some good guesses about some of the remaining ones?

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game on hand now, but I think that for the investigators starting on numbered spaces you will find the location on the back of the investigator sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
horus83 wrote:
I don't have the game on hand now, but I think that for the investigators starting on numbered spaces you will find the location on the back of the investigator sheets.

Yes but they are general not specific. For example "Deep South" and "Central Russia".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Thank you for your efforts to help me.

Actually, I have already used the ones from the investigator cards. When you read the background information about the characters, you will be told the name of the city they are at at the beginning. So, Central Russia is actually Krasnoyarsk, and Deep South is San Antonio, I think.

It really bothers me for things like 19 : while it is a wilderness tile, it has both ship and train routes and if you head for Tunguska from Tokyo or Shanghai, you either change direction or mode of travel there. So, it would be nice to be able to name a harbor or something where you travel and from which you continue your voyage (^_^;; .

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a good guess at space 19 is Chukotka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukotka_Autonomous_Okrug

Space 10 might be Casamance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casamance

Space 8 is Bermuda. It seems to be one of the vertices of the Bermuda triangle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_Triangle
Oops just noticed you had this already

Space 4 looks to be close to Birch Mountains Wildland. Although I'm not sure what a wilderness space is really depicting. Perhaps this is just Northern Alberta? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_Mountains_Wildland

Space 1 was harder than I anticipated. It seems to be some town in Bristol Bay. I think it's King Salmon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Salmon,_Alaska
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Personally, I don't think that the unnamed cities need to represent an actual city, so much as the general urban area. After all, it's realistic to suppose an awful lot of things might happen at the world's major cultural and population centres, like London, Rome, Tokyo etc but not so likely that a ton of stuff will be happening in Minneapolis. So I would be more inclined to just say that no.5 is the 'American Heartland', as expressed on certain cards. But for what it's worth, this is what I'm calling the places (only listing ones you haven't covered):

1 - There is no particularly significant city in that location even now, let alone the 1920s, so unless we want to say Anchorage, I'm settling for simply Alaska.
2 - North Pacific Ocean
3 - South Pacific but it's pretty much where Easter Island is, so was probably placed for that reason
4 - Yellowknife (the placing isn't exact but it does for me. Thematically it sounds right)
5 - 'American Heartland', as it says on the cards.
9 - Greenland
10 - The Gambia (makes sense, as it is a wilderness area, not a city)
11 - South Atlantic (nothing particularly interesting here that I know of)
12 - The Sandwich Islands are roughly around here, and it is also more or less on the Meridian line. Either could have been influential in choosing that spot, or it could just be for for reasons of map balance
13 - Arctic Ocean
18 - could be the Indian ocean or Southern Ocean, probably the latter.
19 - difficult to see any particular location it could be, unless it represents the Bering strait. I'm happy to just say Siberia to be honest (as it is a wilderness space and not a city anyway) and assume it's exact placement simply represents the port where the player begins his expedition
20 - Indonesia. Again, could be any city really. I prefer to think of it as simply representing the larger East Indies area (as it would have been known then)
21 - Australian Outback

I know these mostly don't have the specifics you want, but I honestly don't think they're supposed to be specific cities.

One other thing to bear in mind is that some of the placements may represent something from the so-called Lovecraft mythos (I put it that way because, to me, much of the mythos has nothing to do with Lovecraft's writing, and much of it is downright against the tone and spirit of it). For example, has it ever been averred where the sunken city of R'lyeh might be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Personally, I don't think that the unnamed cities need to represent an actual city, so much as the general urban area. After all, it's realistic to suppose an awful lot of things might happen at the world's major cultural and population centres, like London, Rome, Tokyo etc but not so likely that a ton of stuff will be happening in Minneapolis. So I would be more inclined to just say that no.5 is the 'American Heartland', as expressed on certain cards. But for what it's worth, this is what I'm calling the places (only listing ones you haven't covered):

1 - There is no particularly significant city in that location even now, let alone the 1920s, so unless we want to say Anchorage, I'm settling for simply Alaska.
2 - North Pacific Ocean
3 - South Pacific but it's pretty much where Easter Island is, so was probably placed for that reason
4 - Yellowknife (the placing isn't exact but it does for me. Thematically it sounds right)
5 - 'American Heartland', as it says on the cards.
9 - Greenland
10 - The Gambia (makes sense, as it is a wilderness area, not a city)
11 - South Atlantic (nothing particularly interesting here that I know of)
12 - The Sandwich Islands are roughly around here, and it is also more or less on the Meridian line. Either could have been influential in choosing that spot, or it could just be for for reasons of map balance
13 - Arctic Ocean
18 - could be the Indian ocean or Southern Ocean, probably the latter.
19 - difficult to see any particular location it could be, unless it represents the Bering strait. I'm happy to just say Siberia to be honest (as it is a wilderness space and not a city anyway) and assume it's exact placement simply represents the port where the player begins his expedition
20 - Indonesia. Again, could be any city really. I prefer to think of it as simply representing the larger East Indies area (as it would have been known then)
21 - Australian Outback

I know these mostly don't have the specifics you want, but I honestly don't think they're supposed to be specific cities.

One other thing to bear in mind is that some of the placements may represent something from the so-called Lovecraft mythos (I put it that way because, to me, much of the mythos has nothing to do with Lovecraft's writing, and much of it is downright against the tone and spirit of it). For example, has it ever been averred where the sunken city of R'lyeh might be?

All these look good to me. I suggest Singapore for Space 20 as it was a major and famous city location in the late 1920's - film stars and writers drinking Singapore Slings in expensive hotels. But, I would agree the location of the space circle more matches Indonesia

[Added]
And more than one player refered to Space 4 as the Canadian Wilderness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Thank you all for your efforts.

High Flying Bird wrote:

A good point you are raising there. Maybe having a few settlement names available for some of the unclear ones would be even better, you know, to add variation.

Quote:

Well, the sea locations certainly have that feeling ...
As for R'lyeh, Lovecraft's story The Call of Cthulhu states:
Quote:
... and in S. Latitude 47 9', W. Longitude 126 43', come upon a coastline of mingled mud, ooze, and weedy Cyclopedean masonry which can be nothing less than the tangible substance of earth's supreme terror - the nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh, ...
At least for this there is a good source, it seems.

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Location 21 is almost dead on "Ayers Rock" as it is known at that time,now called Uluru a spot of spiritual significance to the native populations.

The Ticktockman is actually an alias of Nyarlothtep, and the reason he is is in Australia is because of the L Frank Baum book, the Tick Tock Man of OZ. Australia is known affectionately in "ocker" as Oz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
13 is, I recon, the "North Pole" since they could not actually put it right at the top of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Location 5 in "America's Heartland" looks to be either Kansas City, KS or St. Louis, MO

However, there is a Lovecraft short story set in Caddo County, OK called "The Mound"

And it, too, is right there where that marker sits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

MrDave2176 wrote:
13 is, I recon, the "North Pole" since they could not actually put it right at the top of the board.

Actually, I think one card (it must be a mythos card) talks about being just south of the polar circle, but I need to double-check.

Finally, I found my old atlas and checked out some locations myself

I am also inclined to believe that 19 is Novo-Mariinsk (now Anadyr). In addition, checking no. 20, I have the impression that it could be Banjarmasin, which boasted a century-old history even back in the 1920s.

Yours,
Deathworks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathworks wrote:
Finally, I found my old atlas

surprise Are you using a typewriter to post here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Deathworks wrote:
Finally, I found my old atlas

surprise Are you using a typewriter to post here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.