Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi geeks and Merry Christmas to all!

I decided to make my self a present since I was a good boy the whole year whistle....
So I'm more into those two games : Stronghold and Claustrophobia which are considered mainly a 2 player games.
At this point of time I would like to get something for 2 players highly thematic and I came up with those two.
My dilemma is that I dont know what to choose since from what I have seen (reviews, videos etc) both are high in my want list.

Can anyone suggest me what should I choose and why?
Of course I'm open to other suggestions since there tons of excellent 2 players games out there, but at the moment I would like something not so heavy in playing time (not more than 2 hrs).

Thanks for your time, waiting for your suggestions....

Athi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Stronghold and have played Claustraphobia as well. The Stronghold rules are not an easy read. For that alone I would suggest Claustraphobia is the better buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I have to go Claustrophobia too. Stronghold has two seperate rule books and can easily exceed two hours if your playing thinky like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I opted for Claustrophobia myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete G
United Kingdom
Daventry
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not played stronghold however Claustrophobia is ace.
Very easy rules.
Quick play time.
Looks great.
Thematic.
Still has some great strategy!

Stronghold seems a bigger game (in fact totally different) and one I have looked at but thought heck that'll never get to the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group owns both. Claustrophobia has been played MUCH more. While Stronghold plays 2-4 it is really (IMHO) a 2-player game. We've gotten it to the table once.

You have to decide if you have the time to invest several hours playing 2-player game. Claustrophobia plays quickly, very thematic and engaging.

I'd opt for Claustrophobia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, these are two VERY different games. I own both and personally prefer Stronghold.

Claustrophobia is a lighter dungeon crawl w/ some interesting dice allocation mechanics. Rules are pretty simple and straightfoward. You can get through a game pretty quickly (30-60 min). Nice variety w/ different scenarios provided in the base game + expansion if you want more.

Stronghold is a heavier castle defense game. It's really a unique game. Rules are heavy with a very specific sequence of play that needs to be followed. Gameplay is much longer, I would say you should plan on 2-3 hours. Longer for your first few games since you'll likely have to reference the rules more often.

Hopefully that helps you form an opinion. I think based on your post that Claustrophobia fits you better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your replies!

I think I'm off for Claustro.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are two of my favourite two-player games. I'm going to echo the majority here, and recommend Claustrophobia based on your requests.
Stronghold is excellent if you feel like digging into something deep though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely echo what the other's have said. You can't really go wrong as both are excellent games, although it seems Claustrophobia hits the table more. Just playing through the base game offers a bit more diversity than Stronghold, but to add to that are the various other scenarios you can find on the game's page for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efie alexopoulou
Greece
Loutraki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for Claustrophobia. Haven't played any of these but I heard that your Secret Santa thought that this was perfect for u and was looking for it, until he decided another game. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to buy Stronghold too but it looks too tedious with all the rules. Rahdo however did a run through which made it seemed simpler but thats because he took files uploaded by BGG users to assist him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.