Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Coup» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Question on the Assassin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Raby
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's really a question of strategy I suppose, but is there ever any reason why you wouldn't challenge an Assassin when they are trying to kill you.

What is the worst that could happen? If you challenge and they do have it, you lose an influence, if you don't challenge then you lose an influence.

In our Games it seems that you NEVER assassinate unless you ABSOLUTELY have an assassin, because of these circumstances.

Does that sound about right for everyone? My group feels like it takes a lot of the bluffing out of the assassin card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time last night and I have the same question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrong. The rules clearly state that if you are wrong on an Assassin challenge you risk losing both of your influences.

If someone assassinates you and you challenge the Assassin role you lose an influence for being wrong in your challenge.

Then after the unsuccessful challenge the Assassin takes her victim and you are done.

If you are correct in your challenge of the Assassin then you lose no influence and the would-be Assassin loses one influence so it is a risky trick to pull both ways.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lestatb15 wrote:
It's really a question of strategy I suppose, but is there ever any reason why you wouldn't challenge an Assassin when they are trying to kill you.

What is the worst that could happen? If you challenge and they do have it, you lose an influence, if you don't challenge then you lose an influence.

In our Games it seems that you NEVER assassinate unless you ABSOLUTELY have an assassin, because of these circumstances.

Does that sound about right for everyone? My group feels like it takes a lot of the bluffing out of the assassin card.

As stated, you risk losing both of your influence while challenging an assassin. But if a player is down to their last influence, expect one of two responses:
- challenge the assassin
- claim to have the Contessa
Either way, you should expect some kind of resistance when assassinating an opponent's last influence because, as you mentioned, there is no reason for them to exit the game quietly .
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Ninja'ed by steckman! ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Raby
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh Snap! There it is then. The dreaded double elimination. I assume it works the same way if I claim the Contessa and I don't have it, and they challenge me?

I lose an influence for NOT having the Contessa and then lose an influence to the assassination.

Deadly. ninja
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cichlidhead wrote:
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."

I prefer to claim Contessa over challenging the assassin because it throws the decision back on the other player who now has to risk losing an influence.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."

I prefer to claim Contessa over challenging the assassin because it throws the decision back on the other player who now has to risk losing an influence.


Just to clarify for myself, you can only do one or the other right? You can't challenge the assassin, and then claim the Contessa?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
steckman wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."

I prefer to claim Contessa over challenging the assassin because it throws the decision back on the other player who now has to risk losing an influence.


Just to clarify for myself, you can only do one or the other right? You can't challenge the assassin, and then claim the Contessa?

If you have two influence remaining, I imagine that you could challenge the assassin and if that caused you to lose one influence, then I suppose you could claim Contessa with the remaining influence.
I don't think the rules specifically address this though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."

I prefer to claim Contessa over challenging the assassin because it throws the decision back on the other player who now has to risk losing an influence.
Yes, but then you lose both cards if they call your bluff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
steckman wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."

I prefer to claim Contessa over challenging the assassin because it throws the decision back on the other player who now has to risk losing an influence.


Just to clarify for myself, you can only do one or the other right? You can't challenge the assassin, and then claim the Contessa?
Well, if you have neither Contessa nor think they're bluffing, then you just take the hit. If you're on your last card, then you should either challenge or bluff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
steckman wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."

I prefer to claim Contessa over challenging the assassin because it throws the decision back on the other player who now has to risk losing an influence.
Yes, but then you lose both cards if they call your bluff.

To clarify, I prefer to do that when down to one influence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
steckman wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."

I prefer to claim Contessa over challenging the assassin because it throws the decision back on the other player who now has to risk losing an influence.


Just to clarify for myself, you can only do one or the other right? You can't challenge the assassin, and then claim the Contessa?

If you have two influence remaining, I imagine that you could challenge the assassin and if that caused you to lose one influence, then I suppose you could claim Contessa with the remaining influence.
I don't think the rules specifically address this though.


The rules don't need to address this scenario specifically - the general pattern applies:

1) Action is announced
2) If the action requires a character, any player may challenge
3) If the challenge fails, or no player challenges, the target player can block by announcing a counteraction (for Foreign Aid, any player may block)
4) If a counteraction is announced, any player may challenge it

In this case, if you survive a failed challenge to the Assassin, you can still claim the Contessa's protection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:
It does mean, though, that if you are down to one influence, and someone tries to use the assassin on you, you might as well challenge it! You've got nothing to lose. There's no risk of the "double whammy."

I prefer to claim Contessa over challenging the assassin because it throws the decision back on the other player who now has to risk losing an influence.


I prefer to challenge so that they lose their assassin as punishment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.