United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

First Impressions:

I first came across Loopin' Louie at MayCon back in 2003. It was set up on a table one morning when we came down for gaming, and there were a huge number of spectators watching, and all waiting for their turn to play. I watched, then waited my turn, and played and absolutely loved it - and played it several times over the day. Lots of laughter involved, by both the players and the spectators. Yes, it was a kids game, but sometimes at conventions you just want to turn your brain off and have a bit of silly fun, and that's what this was.

Getting to 100 plays:

2003: 4
2004: 1
2005: 11
2006: 11
2007: 12
2008: 6
2009: 0
2010: 11
2011: 0
2012: 1
2013: 49

As you can see, it's been a game that has seen quite a few plays each year - what you can't see from this data is that actually most years it's only come out a couple of times a year, but it's one of those games you can't play just once at a sitting! The reason for the gap in plays in recent years was because we broke our first Louie in 2008 (or rather my 3 year old daughter did), and although we mended it, sort of, in 2010, it never played quite so well after that (it was missing one foot and part of a tail, so the balance was off slightly), and generally each time we played the session was ended with Louie breaking again. This is the downside of Louie with young children - although 3 year olds love playing it, Louie is just made of plastic, and they can be a bit too rough with it. Then in early 2013 I found another copy in a charity shop, and now we have a fully working copy again - as well as three kids who think Louie is a great game, and are old enough to play it without breaking it now - consequently we've had lots of plays with them. However a good third of those plays listed for 2013 have been with adults - as it's now out in view on the "children's game" shelf, not hidden in a cupboard, it's been spotted at games nights, and requested.

Current Impressions:

As you can tell from the sudden upsurge in plays now that my children are old enough to play it, and not break it - Louie is a GREAT kids game. It's particularly good when they want to play games but are tired, and want something mindless but fun - there's no deep strategy in this, but there's a lot of laughter and silliness. And you can pull it out with any kids, or adults, and they'll be able to join in very easily. For adults, it's very much a once or twice a year gimmicky game, and after you've played your five (or more games) in that one session, you probably won't bother asking for it for another six months or a year. Kids however, they just keep asking for more more more. And you never ever ever play just one game of this - a session is four or five games minimum, and I think my record is 12 games in a sitting (although there was some shifting of seats there so everyone got a turn!). I've given this game as presents to several three and four year olds as I think it's so brilliant for that age-group - sadly the newer smaller version (I have the old-fashioned larger version that is slightly better in my opinion). But I recommend it for adults too, if you want a light filler that's a bit different. The quote "It's silly, but it's fun!" perfectly fits this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to bring my copy to our Christmas Day family gathering and nearly caused a riot among the adults who were there.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Riekman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
I am the very model of a modern Major-General, I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral, I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
mbmb
Thanks for a great review!

IMHO, this is one of the best ways to wind down game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I forgot to bring my copy to our Christmas Day family gathering and nearly caused a riot among the adults who were there.

Great game.

You lookin' to be killed, boy?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.