H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ragingmullet wrote:
Is it possible to skip through an empty city by paying the extra connection costs?

For instance: If I wanted to build a house in New Orleans and another in Oklahoma City, could I just pay the 10 for the house in New Orleans, the 7 to connect to Memphis (without building in Memphis) and then the 14 (connection fee) and 10 for the house in Oklahoma City?

Thanks

Yes, this is perfectly legal. Note I haven't checked the map to confirm your costs, but the principle is OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's inefficient, but perhaps it will cause even greater inefficiencies for your opponents and win you the game. Sometimes you are sure money doesn't matter and all you want to do is prevent your opponents from connecting cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For future reference, this and many other common questions are dealt with in the BGG wiki page Power Grid FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep in mind that you will need to pay the connection cost again if you want to build in the city you skipped over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
Just keep in mind that you will need to pay the connection cost again if you want to build in the city you skipped over.

Exactly which is one reason I've no idea why you'd want to do it, but you can in principle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Exactly which is one reason I've no idea why you'd want to do it, but you can in principle.

For instance, it may be needed if you are cornered during the first step (even later in rather exceptional circumstances), in particular if you are among the less efficient players during a "second step stall."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
gmilitaru wrote:
whac3 wrote:

For instance, it may be needed if you are cornered during the first step (even later in rather exceptional circumstances), in particular if you are among the less efficient players during a "second step stall."

If you're cornered, the city would not be empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
If you're cornered, the city would not be empty.

My fault for replying that late at night... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Consider 4 cities connected linearly with the connection costs shown

City A -2-> City B -15-> City C -15-> City D

It is Step 1; you are in City A, and only have enough money to build either City B or City C. Your opponent is in City D.

By skipping City B now (and building it later), you pay an extra 2 electro (because you are paying the connection from A to B twice) but you force your opponent - if he wants to expand - to pay an extra 15 electro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.