BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Some suggestions for a newcomer. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Hines
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
So basically, went out and bought Arkham Horror a couple weeks ago and received a second copy for Christmas (just my luck lol). I'll likely be searching for a trade or just flat sell the 2nd copy in the near future.

Arkham Horror is my first "non-Walmart" bought game (tis sad that I reached 26 years old on walmart boardgames alone)I've watched so many Let's Play vids of the game itself and while I've yet to actually have time to play it I am already in love with the co-operative style of play combined with the ability to play by myself not to mention the amazing theme/feel of the game. Hectic work schedule / having just moved to this area means I'll likely be playing Arkham Horror by myself for a while (fine by me).

So with the extra cash / potential for a trade on the horizon I'm looking to find my 2nd non-Walmart bought board game.

The Lovecraft lore is what initially drew me to Arkham Horror so anything similar would be cool. Also love zombie / survival scenarios or any fantasy style game. I know there's a Game of Thrones game and some LoTR games out there (both of which I'm a huge fan of). From what I've seen though those games mostly require multiple people (again not a complete deal breaker for me, just means I can' play it for a while).

Thanks for reading this short novel, any recommendations are welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So im guessing you prefer a solo player game, you should look at the geeklist for solitaire games.

Anyway I would recommend Robinson Crusoe if you can find it or wait for it to be in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dame
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“Why should we look to the past in order to prepare for the future? Because there is nowhere else to look.” ― James Burke
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

For solo play that you can also play with up to 4, I would definitely strongly second
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Others to look at would include

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set
Legends of Andor
Defenders of the Realm

That should give you a good start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hines
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'll definitely check out the solitaire list (fairly new to this site outside of getting linked here a handful of times).

That Dawn of the Zeds game looks pretty cool. Has a lot of similarities for me to Arkham Horror with the different characters and such which is one of my favorite things about Arkham Horror. Will look into some reviews of it asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Newey
United Kingdom
British, but currently in Vancouver, Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, not a solo-able game... but it might be worth checking out A Study in Emerald, a Lovecraftian themed game based on a Neil Gaiman short story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hines
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I've been kind of hesitant when looking at the Card games (such as the LoTR card game), mainly because the board is such a pivotal thing for me to get enthralled with a game. Seeing monsters all over the Arkham Horror board just excites me.

The second issue is I'm concerned on the re-playability with some of these card games that have a ton of expansions out. With Arkham Horror I could see from the beginning that there was so much re-playability with the different Old Gods, the different characters, etc. Guess I need to do some more research into each individual card game to see if those are even a style I'd like to have at this point (funds kinda limited so re-playability without having to buy expansions is key).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.