Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Nations» Forums » Rules

Subject: Versailles - double checking on rule details rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank F.
Germany
Rettigheim
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ states

Quote:
Versailles
For the rest of the round when Versailles is finished you count as having the least Stability, same as nations in revolt. This holds for both events and other effects.


I think I got it right in the last game, but I wanted to double check and avoid all ambiguity:

Quote:
All persons with any negative stability and I are counted tied for "least stability" - with all the following implications:


- I don't "lose" my stability for this round - neither am I set to the lowest value among players.
If I am at 6 stability, I remain at 6 stability (for resolving loss of a war, [not] losing VP/books during production, etc.)

- I have an event which punishes least stability and I am tied on lowest stability with another player [let's say 6 stability again].
If I finished Versailles this round, only I would receive the punishment. If another player was below 0 stability, we both would suffer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the previous answers.

Frank1Fischer wrote:
The FAQ states
Versailles
For the rest of the round when Versailles is finished you count as having the least Stability, same as nations in revolt. This holds for both events and other effects.


Quote:
All persons with any negative stability and I are counted tied for "least stability"
(1)

Why all persons with negative stability should be considered as having the least stability? I didn't know that, it's from the official FAQ then? This is quite a nonsense to me. Having the least stability says what it says. Anyway...

Quote:
- I don't "lose" my stability for this round - neither am I set to the lowest value among players.
If I am at 6 stability, I remain at 6 stability (for resolving loss of a war, [not] losing VP/books during production, etc.)


I agree with this statement. You're only to be considered as having the least stability, not having to change your stability level. So I'd say you should be able to prevent the negative effects of wars.

Quote:
- I have an event which punishes least stability and I am tied on lowest stability with another player [let's say 6 stability again].
If I finished Versailles this round, only I would receive the punishment. If another player was below 0 stability, we both would suffer.


If the above rule (1) is true, then yes.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F.
Germany
Rettigheim
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why all persons with negative stability should be considered as having the least stability? [...]


Quoting the official rules (page 10, abstract "Resolving Ties")

Quote:
All nations with negative Stability (i.e. in Revolt) are considered to tie for last place in respect of Stability irrespective of the negative amount.
5 
 Thumb up
1.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your stability level is your stability level (agreed it doesn't change), but it impacts more than just events (leaders that you lose that say discard if you have lowest stability for example). Anything that references highest (assuming it would be you, it won't be) and lowest stability would be impacted.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
Your stability level is your stability level (agreed it doesn't change), but it impacts more than just events (leaders that you lose that say discard if you have lowest stability for example). Anything that references highest (assuming it would be you, it won't be) and lowest stability would be impacted.


Correct. If you complete Versailles you can still mitigate war losses if you have a positive stability. Your actual stability marker is not moved. Penalties for negative stability apply normally in the production phase.

poifpoif wrote:
Why all persons with negative stability should be considered as having the least stability? I didn't know that, it's from the official FAQ then? This is quite a nonsense to me. Having the least stability says what it says.


Frank1Fischer quotes the rules correctly. The reason is that you shall not be "protected" from bad effects if you are in revolt, just because someone else is in more revolt.

I added some notes on this to the next FAQ version.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Berry
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
We had a question come up in our game last night related to Versailles.

The Stability values were as follows:

Yellow - 12
Red - 11
Blue - 11
Purple - 6
Green - 0

Red built Versailles during the turn.

We ruled that Yellow alone was considered as having Most Stability.

The Blue player felt that he should have been considered as Most as well even though his value was tied with Red for second.

Which interpretation is correct?

Also, who would be considered as Least in addition to Red?

Thanks!
Jay
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
berry04 wrote:
We had a question come up in our game last night related to Versailles.

The Stability values were as follows:

Yellow - 12
Red - 11
Blue - 11
Purple - 6
Green - 0

Red built Versailles during the turn.

We ruled that Yellow alone was considered as having Most Stability.

The Blue player felt that he should have been considered as Most as well even though his value was tied with Red for second.

Which interpretation is correct?

Also, who would be considered as Least in addition to Red?

Thanks!
Jay


In a five player game 2 mosts, 2 leasts. So Red drops to the very bottom for most/least factoring. Yellow and Blue are most Red and Green are least. Seems very clear cut to me (there aren't even any ties to worry about except the one that doesn't matter).
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.