Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit confused Bout the placement of item cards. re they called item cards?

I get the original placement I think. The 'invention' side is the sidecwith the requisites in the top half visible?

Do the two random items go on the board too in the spaces? And do we start with them already invented?

Tje character items - do we start with these or do we have to invent them before we can use them?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what the confusion is. Item card are items you start with. Invention cards are ones you don't but when invented switch to their item side.

The character specialties start by your character card on the invention side. Only that character can make them, they then go on the board providing you remember that they are specialities if they ever get unmade.

Which version/rulebook do you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You seem to be getting confused between items and inventions

The Item Cards are things like the Bible and the Pistol. You get 2 of these each game and can use them straight away. If you play with 4 players you still only get 2 items and the party must share them. Items can only be used twice and then are discarded.

The Invention cards are the double-sided cards. You first set up the 9 standard inventions, and find each character's invention card. You then randomly choose 5 more inventions and place them next to the standard invention.

The inventions (including the character's invention) start the game unbuilt, and you have to use a building action (once you have the necessary materials / created the necessary invention/ found the necessary type of land) to flip the invention card to its usable side. The inventions either either give you an immediate bonus (such as the mast in Scenario 1 which gives you 3 wood for the log pile) or an ongoing bonus (such as the map which gives you an extra pawn for exploration). You do not discard the invention card after building them even if they would be of no further use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit confused, yes. Do item cards Nd imvention cards all go on the board? The explorer's Shortcut seems to go next to the character card. Do I leave it there for the game?

Are there two free imvention spaces left on the grid after placing all stRting cards? (9 starting inventikons, 2 items, 5 randome inventions being 16 out of 18 possible spaces)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can put them wherever you want really that is convenient for the group. Sure, you can put them on the board, if I'm playing solo I put them next to the character sheets.

The 9+5 typically go on the board in the invention spaces (there are events which might add some there). The character specific ones go next to the character board and the 2 item cards can be put wherever is convenient for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let's simplify.

1. Spaces
The spaces on the board are not meant to be limited. So it doesn't matter what you place on the board, and what you do not.
Exception being the Special Character Inventions (Fireplace, Spear, Trap, Shortcut) - they start on the Character sheets.
When you get new inventions, or Starting Items, or build the Character-specific inventions, you can place them on the board. Or next to it...

2. Inventions
With the exception of the Starting Items, all of these other cards (the Character-specific, too) are INVENTION CARDS, and start as such (invention-side up). Exception: Those that setup says are already built.
When you BUILD one of those, they are turned over to the ITEM SIDE. They now count as ITEMS for the sake of card texts.

3. Starting Items
These are NEVER referred as items, only ever as STARTING ITEMS.

4. Character-Specific Inventions
They start on the Character sheet, invention side up (as usual).
When built, they are PLACED either on or next to the board, ITEM side up. The Character gets 2 Determination.
Should a card effect call for an ITEM to be TURNED to its invention side, and you choose a character-specific item, it RETURNS to the character sheet, invention side up. You can then build it again, and also get the 2 Determination for that, again.

I hope that helped...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It did. thanks v much, I've got it now.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Barnhill
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
So, are there ever more than the 14 inventions on the board? Do you ever draw from the invention deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puerca wrote:
So, are there ever more than the 14 inventions on the board? Do you ever draw from the invention deck?

And, more basically - are they all laid out face-up at start? So you can choose any to BUILD (assuming pre-requisites, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
- In Scenario #6 you draw 9 random inventions at the start of the game instead of 5
- You always have more than 14 inventions in play, as the character(s) also has (have) personal invention(s). So, in a standard game, there can already be more than 14 invention cards "on the board"...
- Very few cards let you draw another invention card, but they exist
- The Carpenter skill lets you draw another invention card
- In some scenarios there is a special action (Livingstone) or additional aspect (#4 of the expansion) called "Brainstorming" that lets you draw more invention cards

So there are options to have more than 14 items, but in truth, if the scenario doesn't provide a different use for them, you have no need, as 14 items is already more than you usually will build.
The most important one that you can control is the one provided by the Carpenter's skill.

And I didn't get the last question completely, so I'll answer generally:
- ALL inventions usually start with the invention side up - there is no choice!
- Usually you do not build any during the setup of the game!
- Some scenarios might give you one or more items (i.e. flipped to the item side) for free, already at the beginning. But that is scenario-specific, and always mentioned in the text.
- All inventions available (without the above-mentioned card effects, special aspects or uses of character abilities) are available from the beginning of the game on. If you fulfill the prerequisites, you can build any of them at any time in the game.

But that is just the general rules.
You can choose to ignore or augment any part of them.
After all, it's your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.