Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Cortland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God this is getting old, Dead Panic is on their site for $26.49 plus their shipping 20+ In Stock (http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/187706) and they are selling the same game on Amazon for $75.92 plus $7.49 shipping (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00C3UZA1O/ref=dp_olp...). That is absurd.

They did the same thing with Betrayal and I actually emailed them on it and they told me "The games that we sell on Ebay or Amazon are ones the we acquired on the secondary market for a higher price and can not be sold through our standard retail locations." I don't know If I buy it this time as I dont see dead panic being that high. Its annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BFast20 wrote:
God this is getting old, Dead Panic is on their site for $26.49 plus their shipping 20+ In Stock (http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/187706) and they are selling the same game on Amazon for $75.92 plus $7.49 shipping (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00C3UZA1O/ref=dp_olp...). That is absurd.

They did the same thing with Betrayal and I actually emailed them on it and they told me "The games that we sell on Ebay or Amazon are ones the we acquired on the secondary market for a higher price and can not be sold through our standard retail locations." I don't know If I buy it this time as I dont see dead panic being that high. Its annoying.

If that is what the market is demanding, then I have no problem with them profiting off of what people are willing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably should be in the "Discussing retailers" forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
BFast20 wrote:

HAHA I like that they lie instead of just saying the obvious truth. Weird that they would do it with Dead Panic. I know they do it with new games. Oh well, shit like that pisses some people off and makes them shop elsewhere and in a business with so much competition springing up every second every customer counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BFast20 wrote:

So buy it from their web site where the fees associated with selling are also less for them.

In the end, who cares what their prices are - if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Way too much time on your hands...

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest that you just not buy it. If they sit long enough, the prices will come down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aldo Nova
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Problem not seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
There is no such thing as "price gouging" for a luxury item like boardgames. It's like saying Mercedes is "price gouging" me with the new E-Class.

And as for this example, it's more of an Amazon thing than a CSI thing. There are thousands of sellers that will throw a product up on Amazon if Amazon itself has none to sell, in the hopes that maybe 1 desperate dude will pay the ridiculously inflated 3rd-party prices. I presume that in 95% of the cases it doesn't work, and Amazon simply gets it back in stock and the 3rd-party sellers take down the item, but maybe it's worth it if you strike gold that 5% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gouging?

They are forcing people to buy something that is needed.

The market price is set by the various markets. Don't buy it at $75, as they are offering to sell it for $26.

If someone insists on paying $75, then that's there choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Caveat Emptor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many times 3rd party prices are set by bots. Interesting results may occur such as 2 bots bid a used textbook price up to 23 million.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How dare a business try to make money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides, it's not like it's a good game devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ihatestrolls wrote:
Problem not seen.

Check under first world problem, it might be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, those evil corporations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
tivowatcher wrote:

In the end, who cares what their prices are - if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Way too much time on your hands...

Isn't that what he's advocating? Some people feel that there's a larger relationship between a seller and buyer than just, "You offer, I pay." They expect to be able to trust a retailer so that when they purchase from that site, they know they're getting a good deal.

He doesn't feel that way because of certain practices being engaged in by CSI. He came here to inform others who might share his concern.

Sure, he doesn't know the technical definition of price gouging. But every time this comes up, people are so dismissive because "you don't have to buy it." You're right, he doesn't. But he sure as hell has the right to let others know about a practice with which he disagrees* so that they might also stop purchasing from the site if they feel the same way.

*Yes, you have the right to mock him/shoot him down. I just hate the dismissiveness of his view as unreasonable - it isn't. And treating it as such makes you seem unreasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if they still have it on their site for regular price, they aren't even harming their regular customers. I can see people being annoyed if they short preorders or never get it on their site and "scalp" it elsewhere. But not in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GS Wiedeman
United States
American Canyon
California
flag msg tools

While I often feel bad for those who are taken advantage of by retailers and other "trusted" sources, there's no reason in this day and age not to be an informed consumer. Information is so readily available and easily accessed in modern internet societies that the old adage of buyer beware stands truer than ever. This holds for product pricing and market value.

I've seen quite a few threads since I've been trolling BGG attempting to shame retailers based on what are perceived as high prices.

The base price for any product quoted by consumers is typically MSRP: manufacturer suggested retail price. Retailers are within their rights to sell a product at any price they so choose. In a free market economy, the market will respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cortland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't buy it. I don't think its right tho. They are taking advantage of the people who would not know any better. You tell your grandma you want dead panic would she go to coolstuffinc or would she go to amazon to buy it for you? I understand profit but I also understand taking advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an old well-worn copy of Settlers of Catan (may be missing a few cards) which I hereby offer to sell for $1,000 + shipping.

Did I just price gouge anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cortland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I have an old well-worn copy of Settlers of Catan (may be missing a few cards) which I hereby offer to sell for $1,000 + shipping.

Cause your a retailer with a reputation to uphold right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Tolomei
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mb
BFast20 wrote:
I won't buy it. I don't think its right tho. They are taking advantage of the people who would not know any better. You tell your grandma you want dead panic would she go to coolstuffinc or would she go to amazon to buy it for you? I understand profit but I also understand taking advantage.

My Grandma would probably go to Target and buy Don't Panic.

However, it is true, less savvy people won't be aware of all of the competition, as board games are a niche market. Amazon is a massive online company. If you know nothing about board games (outside of monopoly and scrabble) and someone asked you to buy a board game online, most people wouldn't know where to start outside of Amazon and eBay, let alone know the worth of a particular board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFast20 wrote:
curtc wrote:

Cause your a retailer with a reputation to uphold right?

So you're concern is that you feel bad for CSI's rep loss??? I thought you were complaining about price gouging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cortland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
BFast20 wrote:

And this is effecting your life...how?

Look, CSI bought the game and they have the right to sell their product for whatever price they want to sell it at. Don't like it? Don't buy it. It is called capitalism. shake

Actually your wrong. Typically they have to keep prices within range of the msrp if they sell for to high over it their distributors can refuse to sell to them and the can even get fines. They are selling these on consingment of sorts to where they arnt out of their distrubtors inventory. Like I've said I get it and I have knowledge on how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg MN
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is worth noting that being an "informed" consumer is often taken for granted by those in the know. When I first delved into this hobby a couple of years ago, I was paying waaaaaay too much for games. The board game industry has a HUGE price variance that really confused me once I stumbled onto the online retailers like CSI, MM, etc. It made absolutely no sense why some games were discounted 40% over MSRP the day they were released.

Why does this matter? I think it has the potential to turn some people off, particularly the casual gamer who wants to expand his or her gaming experience, but doesn't want to spend the time on sites like BGG trying to navigate the gaming culture. Before people jump down my throat with comments like, "all you have to do is Google the game name and click 'shop'", think back to the time you first purchased a board game. For me, it was at a FLGS. I was hesitant to make gaming a true hobby due to the prices. Now that I know better, I can purchase the occasional game at the FLGS to support the business, and others online to support my growing addiction.

My main point... It COULD hurt the hobby to jack prices on unsuspecting consumers. That guy who naively trusts Amazon to accurately represent the price of games may fail to connect with the real gaming potential because of his misinformed sense of opportunity cost. Ultimately, that is "just the way it is," but I understand what the OP was getting at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.