Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few days of thinking, I decided to just push forward with this group of four adventurers for now. I will probably wait for the character add-on pack before trying a different set of adventurers, anyway, and any experiments of session reporting can wait.

I have considered what I will do if bad stuff should happen, and I am putting this on notice for all to see: If I fail a scenario due to the blessings deck running out or some other thing, you will read about it here and I will try again another day. I am going to try to be extra careful not to let anyone die, but whether I keep any good stuff from the failed scenario (which is allowed in the game) or whether I reset to the beginning of the scenario without the goodies remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, let's not dwell on the bad stuff; here's what our adventurers brought with them to Sandpoint:

VALEROS (Strength +1)
1x Battleaxe
1x Flaming Mace +1
1x Longsword
1x Longbow
1x Starknife
2x Chain Mail
1x Wooden Shield
1x Cape of Escape
1x Mattock
1x Night Watch
1x Standard Bearer
1x Blessing of Gorum
2x Blessing of the Gods

MERISIEL (Dexterity +1)
1x Heavy Crossbow
1x Returning Throwing Axe +1
1x Chain Mail
1x Boots of Elvenkind
1x Crowbar
1x Holy Water
1x Masterwork Tools
1x Potion of Glibness
1x Tome of Knowledge
1x Archer
1x Shalelu Andosana
1x Blessing of Erastil
3x Blessing of the Gods

EZREN (Intelligence +1)
1x Quarterstaff
1x Acid Arrow
1x Augury
1x Charm Person
1x Force Missile
2x Lightning Touch
1x Mirror Image
1x Strength
1x Bracers of Protection
1x Codex
1x Crowbar
1x Acolyte
1x Sage
1x Standard Bearer

KYRA (Wisdom +1)
1x Mace
1x Quarterstaff
1x Cure
1x Holy Light
1x Inflict
1x Magic Half-Plate
1x Wooden Shield
1x Codex
1x Sheriff Hemlock
1x Blessing of Iomedae
1x Blessing of Shelyn
4x Blessing of the Gods

It has been days since the adventurers have settled the troubles of the Lost Coast. Now resting in Sandpoint on the eve of the Swallowtail Festival, they ponder their next move when a scream rings through the air, followed by someone's panicked yell of "Goblins" and a mass of guttural noises. The typical four rush outside the nameless tavern, and caught sight of a menacing goblin riding a giant... gecko. The foul creature disappears into the chaos and panic.

1. Ezren is the only one who hasn't led an adventure yet, so I opted for him to go first. (Also, for the record of villains killed: Ezren 1, Merisiel 1, Valeros 1, Kyra... you'll get your chance.) He heads for the one likely place to be a staging point for this onslaught: the Old Light. On the way, he finds a bottle of Holy Water... he found it because he tripped on it. He's okay, but the bottle is shattered. Ezren casts Charm Person to enlist the aid of a wandering noble named Aldern Foxglove. (From casting Charm Person, Ezren draws Lightning Touch.) He then casts an Augury to search for monsters, and finds a Cultist as well as a scroll of Levitate and a Longsword. He uses this knowledge to avoid the Cultist.

2. Suspecting some deeper trouble afoot, Kyra investigates Sandpoint Cathedral, the place she last cleansed during the troubles with Black Fang. In her haste, she notices, but does not recognize, a Potion of Ruggedness lying next to the entrance. (Natural 5 versus a check of 6... so close.)

3. Valeros thinks he saw the goblin leader run that way, but ends up right at the door of The Rusty Dragon. A Standard Bearer notices that a magical Bastard Sword +1 is sticking out of a dead goblin in the midst of the carnage. Valeros quickly swipes the weapon as he enters the tavern...

4. Merisiel follows the sound of battle in the midst of the Swallotail Festival, and she snipes a Goblin Dog as she rushes in. (With the Heavy Crossbow and her recharge ability, she rolls natural fives on each of the dice... not quite Yahtzee.)

5. Ezren is so much in a hurry that he doesn't bother with a Longsword. (Again, a natural 5 on a check of 6. I don't know which is worse: this, or just rolling natural ones.)

6. Kyra gains the Blessing of the Gods, which invigorates her to move deeper into the cathedral. She finds a scroll of Sleep, but it is so badly written she throws it away in disgust.

7. Valeros enlists the aid of a Sage, who shows him around the tavern. He meets a Standard Bearer, who he almost convinces to help him. (For a second, I thought it was going to land on 6 when it tilted in the reverse direction and landed on 3...)

8. Merisiel receives the Blessing of the Gods, which pushes her to surge through the throng of panicked villagers. Because she prayed earlier (discarded a Blessing of the Gods), she manages to avoid some nasty Explosive Runes that the marauders had left behind. (The blessing was a good call: the first d12 rolled was a 7, which with modifiers and the adventure deck number, is one short if I did not use the blessing.)

9. Ezren catches a Tickwood Boar that is waiting in ambush, (Rolled a natural 8 versus a check of 7.) He barely succeds in using Force Missile against the beast. (Rolled a 2, 3, and 4 with a d12 and 2d4... guess which one is the d12.) His Standard Bearer then catches whiff of the Goblin Raider that is rallying more monsters to attack Sandpoint. With the Acolyte's help, Ezren's Lightning Touch fries the creature (with a natural 12 on the d12, no less) while he avoids the fire bomb that the creature threw at him. He barely secures the Old Light in the midst of the carnage. (Natural 3, +1 plus Knowledge, for just enough to pass the check of 6.)

10. The gods continue to favor Kyra, (another Blessing of the Gods) as she investigates further. Her knowledge and experience with the undead means that she is not horrified at the sight of an Attic Whisperer in one of the cathedral's attics, nor outclasses as she turns the creature before bashing it with her Mace. Going further, (discarding a Blessing of the Gods) she finds a Zombie that she pulps with the same Mace. Not a good day to be undead in the cathedral...

11. Valeros almost convinces a Troubadour (Natural 3 plus Diplomacy... one short again.) to join him. He says a little prayer (discards a Blessing of the Gods) to gain the courage to meet the tavern patron at a dark corner, only to find that it has been dead for so long and is now a Skeleton. His unfamiliarity with a two-handed weapon almost costs him, (2 + 5, with the +1 of the weapon and the Melee and slashing penalty cancelling each other out, just makes 8.) but he checks the undead patron out of the bar.

12. It is really a blessed day today. (Yep, you guessed it, a Blessing of the Gods.) Venturing forth, she finds an Amulet of Life hanging precariously on a sewer grate. Even with quick prayer, (discarded a Blessing of the Gods) she grabs it only to see it slip through her fingers and into the sewers. (With 2d4... 1 + 2. Bummer.) Meanwhile, Shalelu Andosana catches a Burglar casing them out. He is impressed with Merisiel's quick reflexes, and offers to join her.

13. Ezren returns from the Old Point and finds himself in the Town Square. He finds an Acolyte waiting nearby, and convinces her to join him.

14. Kyra comes across a Guide, who flees at the sight of the gore-covered adventurer. (Natural 1... no chance.) Shelyn hears Kyra's prayers (discards Blessing of Shelyn) and reveals the hidden Goblin Raider with a holy spotlight. She casts Inflict to cripple the creature while avoiding the fire bomb hurled at her. (She fails the recharge check.) The gods help her purify the cathedral again, (banishes Blessing of the Gods) while Shelyn smiles. (She passes the location special check to recharge the Blessing of Shelyn.)

15. Valeros bumps into a patron, who suddenly lunges at him... it's Tsuro Kaijitsu! He reflexive pulls out his Battleaxe and swings it at his head. The blade catches his skull, (Discard/recharging the axe gives me a roll of 2 + 3 + 7 + modifiers.) and the fiend crumples to the ground. Kyra prays for Valeros (discarding Blessing of the Gods) but he already has things under control. (First d6 is a 6.) The Sage from earlier is impressed, and joins him. (Recharge her as the bonus of closing location.)

16. Merisiel comes across a dagger that, on closer inspection, is a magical Dagger +1. Her prayers to Erastil (discard blessing) reveals to her the location of the Gobin Raider terrorizing some cornered children. She tosses the newly-acquired dagger at the creature before firing a snap shot of her Heavy Crossbow. (A good decision: the Heavy Crossbow gives me a 1 + 3 + 1 Dexterity, while the Dagger +1 returned a natural 4 + 1.) The fire bomb that he was about to throw at the children, then Merisiel, ends up flying in the air before landing on his feet, immolating him. However, the goblin turned out to be possessed by a malevolent Ghost, who she manages to scare off, but not defeat.

17. Ezren couldn't avoid an Ambush, and is now facing the Goblin Raider terrorizing the town. With the Acolyte's help, Ezren manages to grab it with a Lightning Touch and fries it. The goblin almost catches him with a fire bomb. (Rolled a 2... close.) He sacrifices his Quarterstaff to wave off the rest of the troublemakers.

RULES QUESTION: When Ambush says "subrtract 1 from each die rolled in your check," is it referring to the check from Ambush, or the check I use to defeat the monster? (I assumed the latter, which didn't matter here as I rolled natural 3 + 3 + 4 + 7 plus modifiers.)

18. Kyra rushes to the site of the Swallowtail Festival, and comes across the Ghost that Merisiel encountered. The undead creature put up a fight, even against a cleric of Sarenrae. (Rolled a natural 1 with the d12, but the d8 thankfully coughed up a 7.)

19. Valeros casually heads to the City Gate, and cleaves the Goblin Pyro blocking the way. It does manage to singe a Mattock, which needs repair.

20. At the end of all this carnage, Merisiel bumps into another Burglar. The Burglar with her gives a secret handshake with the other ruffian, who agrees to join her.

21. All that is left now is the City Gate. Ezren bumps into another Goblin Pyro. (I still haven't bought that automated shuffler, yet.) With an illegal, muscle-building spell, he casts Strength on himself to intimidate the creature while Valeros trips it up from behind. The tandem defeat the creature, but now before it damages his Codex. (His scrying ability reveals an Acolyte.) The Sage finds an Archer, who isn't quite impressed with his macho attempts to woo her. (Rolled a natural 5 versus a check of 6.) Chastised, he casts an Augury for items, and finds a Potion of Healing, as well as a Soldier being terrorized by the leader, named Ripnugget and Stickfoot. Knowing how difficult it is to pick up a Potion of Healing, Ezren just sighs and moves on. (Puts potion at bottom; I've dropped too many potions already.)

22. Kyra heads to meet the party at the City Gate, she finds a Longsword stuck on the wall. She couldn't quite pull it out, and leaves in disgust. (Natural 3 with + 2 Melee... still one short.)

23. Ezren's augury describes enough of the wall to help Valeros find Ripnugget and Stickfoot! The creature's awareness means that Valeros couldn't sneak up on it, and as the humongous gecko is about to attack Valeros, Kyra blasts it with a stream of Holy Light, and Sheriff Hemlock takes a pot shot from the rear...

2 + 4 + 5 + 5 + Divine, and the heroic pair incapacitates the unconventional mount.

Ripnugget manages to roll away from the carnage, only to find Valeros standing over him with a Bastard Sword +1 swinging for the throat...

3 + 3 + 7 + 1 Magic + Melee, and the attack on Sandpoint is now over. (Literally; outside of the few monsters that were banished when other locations were closed, the villain was also the last monster.)

Sandpoint is sacked, but not destroyed. The heroic efforts of the typical four have saved countless lives, but something's amiss. A dark cloud looms over the horizon, and while the heroes have learned more from this encounter, their journey is far from over...

This amount of tension is probably the usual amount to expect in a typical game, save the fact that none of my characters were near danger; the closest to this is Ezren having just two cards left at the end of this chapter. I'm not bummed out by this, given that the climax is never at the beginning of the adventure.

I will work on the characters, and prepare for the continuing adventure. Stay tuned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick clarification: The d6 rolls for the Goblin Pyros biting the dust on turns 19 and 21 are 2 and 6 respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:

RULES QUESTION: When Ambush says "subrtract 1 from each die rolled in your check," is it referring to the check from Ambush, or the check I use to defeat the monster? (I assumed the latter, which didn't matter here as I rolled natural 3 + 3 + 4 + 7 plus modifiers.)

You assumed correctly. The "subtract 1" modifier is used in the check to defeat the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the same thing as attacking with a weapon at The Waterfront. Kind of curious why Meri of all people has the Masterwork Tools when she's the one that doesn't need one. I really enjoy these btw. Good luck with Local Heroes as that group is going to need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
It is the same thing as attacking with a weapon at The Waterfront. Kind of curious why Meri of all people has the Masterwork Tools when she's the one that doesn't need one. I really enjoy these btw. Good luck with Local Heroes as that group is going to need it.

She has the space for all the items, and I kinda wanted the others to have other items. Not exactly forward planning... at least it made thematic sense. (She also benefits fully from it, given that she's the only one with Disable. I would consider giving it to Ezren after his experience with the Ambush, though...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.