Subject: Ion Turrets? Or Ion Touretts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heath Kohanek

Midland
Texas
msg tools
mb
Wondering exactly how the Ion turret worked exatly. the card says you roll attack dice, then if you had scored any hits place one ion token, deal one damage then cancel all hits.

The defender may still evade the shot right? before the taking one damage and said ion token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, meaning that after all attack and defense dice are thrown and modifiers applied on either end if there is a remaining uncanceled hit result then the ion cannon has hit your ship resulting in one damage and subsequent ion effects to occur next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's worth noting - because it will come up in other card interactions - that in these rules, the word "hit" does not mean [explosion symbol]. The word "hit" is defined as "The attacker has more [explosions] or [hollow explosions] than the defender has [evade symbols]."

In other words, if the cards are referring to a result on a die, they will show that symbol. If they refer to a "hit," they mean the outcome of a contested roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The attack is basically a test to see if you hit the target. Once that condition is true, cancel all damage dealt and then apply one point of damage and one ion token.

The mechanic is kind of interesting and I wonder if we'll see future devices that check for damage in that particular way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Norsehound wrote:

The mechanic is kind of interesting and I wonder if we'll see future devices that check for damage in that particular way.

The Heavy Laser Cannon is similar. All Criticals are just standard hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I mean is using the hit conditions for another kind of effect.

Say for example a radiation beam. Once the check succeeds, a crew card is discarded. Something like that. Or a set amount of damage more than one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Vek
Slovenia
Maribor
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not to hijack a thread but I am sometimes of the opinion that torpedoes and missiles should work this way... If they hit, they could do a fixed amount of damage. Seems more thematic (if a missile hits you IRL, you are basically screwed) and maybe it would make secondaries more useful. You could then have heavy torpedo type weapons with few attack dice (low accuracy against nimble targets) but high damage potential (say, four damage if they hit), fast homing missiles with many attack dice but low damage, and everything in between...
Or, to keep damage output variable, you could keep it as is and have bonuses if the missile hits (say, a torpedo does +1 critical if it hits)...
The radiation beam idea is cool, too. Or a missile that would destroy only shields but be useless against hull...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea GroovyG.

Sometimes I think some things are nudged thematically for game balance. That's cool though as I think the game plays extremely well.

Plus people manage to come up with little stories to explain why they work that way anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the torpedoes and missiles work similar way you described. The torpedoes are slow. They have lots of dice, but you need to havea target lock first and if you want to modify their roll, you need the focus on them, so you usually need an extra action for them + the range limit complicates their usage as well.

On the other hand missiles with "guiding" have the possibility to change one or more dice based on the roll, which speeds the process (no focus token needed in order to fire them).

The target ship is not homogenous. You can hit a critical part or some not so important part. And this is represented by the dice roll. Nevertheless your idea is interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.