Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll need to see if my local store actually does the sale this time. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Siddig
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Just picked up 2 base sets. I'm pretty excited to start playing this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hilton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've been eyeing this game for months now, but last night I was out looking for a copy of Mario Kart 7. After going through 3 stores, I said to myself "I'll go to Target and if they don't have it, let's call it a day." I wasn't familiar with this store's layout and went in on the wrong side, so I decided to take a stroll through the trading cards/board games area. Low and behold I see about 15 copies of the Star Wars X-Wing game starter set, all marked down to $19.98. Without even checking for Mario Kart, I grabbed two copies and joyously ran to the register.

I called up a friend after reading the rule book and played a few small games. I'm hooked! I suggest anyone on the fence about the game swoop into their local Target and buy a few boxes.

If I'm wanting to build up my collection for both Rebel and Empire forces, is it worth it to buy a third starter set? Or should I just start going for the expansions? If the answer is the latter, I'd like to spend about $40-50 on my next purchase (probably from Amazon). That's roughly 2 big ships, a big ship and two small ships, or four small ships - what combination of ships would you suggest for someone with 2x Starter Set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked mine today. It's on clearance...for $27.98...oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saville
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3van360 wrote:

If I'm wanting to build up my collection for both Rebel and Empire forces, is it worth it to buy a third starter set? Or should I just start going for the expansions? If the answer is the latter, I'd like to spend about $40-50 on my next purchase (probably from Amazon). That's roughly 2 big ships, a big ship and two small ships, or four small ships - what combination of ships would you suggest for someone with 2x Starter Set?

The consensus seems to be X-wing, Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, and a Y-wing
If you want balanced ships for both sides.

If you want to play Rebels, that changes to X-wing, Y-wing and maybe a Falcon.

If you want Imperials, it tends to be a Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, and a Firespray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Scharling
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I have 3 x copies of the starter set, its the best way to get more X-Wings/Tie fighters. You want 4 X-Wings and 8 Tie fighters, if you want to play competitive. So 1 X-Wing and 2 Tie Fighter expansions along with the 3 base games.

4 X-Wings is a nice build, so is 6-8 Tie Fighters.

But maybe get a couple of expansions before getting the third starter set. B-Wings are awesome, so are Tie Bombers. Interceptors, Y-wings and A-Wings are not needed in large numbers. And the HWK-290 is also a fighter you don't need more then 1 of. Unless you need the upgrade cards from it.

Firesprays is very nice, so is YT-1300. 2x YT-1300 and 2 or 3 Firesprays are also very good builds. But also good on its own, along with fighter support.

Lambda shuttle is best with Vader along with some Tie Fighters. So don't bother getting more then 1, unless you want the upgrade cards. Or are trying a fortress build.

Thats my opinion about the expansions with competition in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3van360 wrote:

If I'm wanting to build up my collection for both Rebel and Empire forces, is it worth it to buy a third starter set?

For $20, get another core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does Target typically take to reduce clearance prices more? My Target has them for $27. I'd bite at $20. I am a little worried that they would just send them back before dropping more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Man
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know my mileage may vary and all, but i didn't even know target sold this. I have checked 3 stores in the bay area with no luck (Concord, Richmond, Walnut Creek). I don't believe it's due to running out because I've never seen it before. Checked all over the game and toy sections. Just curious where you guys live since it doesn't show online, either. Was so excited to buy (hopefully) 2 sets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hayes
United States
Richmond
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonHunter wrote:
I know my mileage may vary and all, but i didn't even know target sold this. I have checked 3 stores in the bay area with no luck (Concord, Richmond, Walnut Creek). I don't believe it's due to running out because I've never seen it before. Checked all over the game and toy sections. Just curious where you guys live since it doesn't show online, either. Was so excited to buy (hopefully) 2 sets!

I got two sets in Richmnd but unfortunately it was Richmond VA not CA. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
How long does Target typically take to reduce clearance prices more? My Target has them for $27. I'd bite at $20. I am a little worried that they would just send them back before dropping more.

Hmm they are $60 at my Store (In Australia). I'd bite at $27.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
DragonHunter wrote:

The Target at Richmond, Ca. has it for $19.98. I just pick up one today. I saw 4 others, but it was hidden behind some other game box. It was on the bottom shelve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Duck Out
msg tools
$20 on clearance here in Sarasota, FL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hiatt
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it at the following Bay Area Locations:
Alameda
Sunnyvale
North San Jose,
West San Jose

I picked up a couple new set in Alameda right before Christmas for $30.00.

I might have to cruise by and see if they are on clearance now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Man
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffhiatt wrote:
I've seen it at the following Bay Area Locations:
Alameda
Sunnyvale
North San Jose,
West San Jose

I picked up a couple new set in Alameda right before Christmas for $30.00.

I might have to cruise by and see if they are on clearance now.

Thanks Jeff! Appreciate the info specific to the Bay Area - off to the hunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Man
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpltanis wrote:
DragonHunter wrote:

The Target at Richmond, Ca. has it for $19.98. I just pick up one today. I saw 4 others, but it was hidden behind some other game box. It was on the bottom shelve.

Thanks, too, John! Just realized I was actually at the one in Albany (I don't normally trek to that side of the East Bay and got mixed up as to which "big Target off of 80" I was at. Good to know! =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Van Kampen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~$20 in MN too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.