Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb

As we get to the last episodes of GameNight! Season 1 we are featuring 5 hidden role games. Tonight is The Resistance: Coup, from designer Rikki Tahta, and published by Indie Boards and Cards played by Nikki, Stephanie, Dave, Mark, Chris and Aldie.

Please subscribe to us on YouTube - with more subscribers we get more freedom in how to run the channel.

http://youtube.com/boardgamegeektv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
Fun game!

Yeah - I love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indie Boards and Cards, surely, not AEG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:

indeed. just started watching. So happy that one of my favorite games is getting showcased.

Notes:

- You can't take a defensive action for another player. (e.g. Nikki cannot stop Dave from taking Aldie's money with her influence.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
loofish wrote:

indeed. just started watching. So happy that one of my favorite games is getting showcased.

Notes:

- You can't take a defensive action for another player. (e.g. Nikki cannot stop Dave from taking Aldie's money with her influence.)

I'm curious if this is allowed or not. By reading the rules and reading the "Coup" forum, I still don't know?!?

Great to see Mark Johnson on GameNight! again, and it was a shame you didn't give a plug to Board Games To Go - the best podcast on the planet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Kauk wrote:

I'm curious if this is allowed or not. By reading the rules and reading the "Coup" forum, I still don't know?!?

The rules note it quite clearly; both in City State and Resistance: Coup. Under Counteractions:

Contessa - Blocks Assassination

"The player who is being assassinated may claim the Contessa..."

Ambassador/Captain - Blocks Extortion

"The player who is being extorted may claim either the Ambassador or the Captain..."

It's quite clear that only the target may claim, not anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
Todd Kauk wrote:

The rules note it quite clearly; both in City State and Resistance: Coup. Under Counteractions:

"The player who is being extorted may claim either the Ambassador or the Captain..."

I guess if it's so clear, then why are people making all playing all different kinds of rules regarding counteraction/counter-bluffing. Including Dave and the guys at GameNight! "apparently" got these rules wrong. Playing by the "correct" rules as you have stated fundamentally changes the game.

I guess they'll have to make a new video?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely correct. Firstly, I shouldn't do that stuff late at night. Secondly, I had the conversation with myself about who the publisher was and convinced myself it was AEG. Thirdly, is there a website somewhere where I can look this stuff up?

Travis is going to be disappointed in me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katja Heetland
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
This was a great episode to watch from beginning to end. The kind of video that was needed for this game as rules explanations cant really show the true dynamic possible.

That said, I kept staring at the left side pitying the left hand players for playing a hidden information game with a mirror directly behind them. XD haha.

Excellent video for an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katja Heetland
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
heccubus wrote:
...is there a website somewhere where I can look this stuff up?

Aldie just banned you. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Kauk wrote:

I guess if it's so clear, then why are people making all playing all different kinds of rules regarding counteraction/counter-bluffing. Including Dave and the guys at GameNight! "apparently" got these rules wrong. Playing by the "correct" rules as you have stated fundamentally changes the game.

I guess they'll have to make a new video?!?

- Not "apparently", actually. They actually got that rule wrong.
- Correct rules make the game play, well, correctly.
- They don't have to. But everyone should read the rules to a game before playing and not just get it from a video; time permitting, do both.

At the very least there should be a show note/annotation about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeWaal
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Resistance: Coup = Love Letter for "knaves who cheat at fun, light games."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
zenxacred wrote:
Todd Kauk wrote:

Only the person being assassinated/extorted may claim the contessa/captain in self-defence, but ANY player may challenge the attacker (or the defender).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidvD wrote:
zenxacred wrote:
Todd Kauk wrote:

Only the person being assassinated/extorted may claim the contessa/captain in self-defence, but ANY player may challenge the attacker (or the defender).

Uh oh, don't let Zen see this. I sensed some anger with his last post surprise

I haven't even got to play Coup yet, but it continues to confound me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidvD wrote:
zenxacred wrote:
Todd Kauk wrote:

Thanks for agreeing! Counteractions and Challenges are two different things. In the video, they clearly played the game wrong in regards to counteractions, but challenging was spot on.

Todd Kauk wrote:

No anger, I just find the thought funny. Especially since you haven't even played the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
DavidvD wrote:
zenxacred wrote:
Todd Kauk wrote:

Thanks for agreeing! Counteractions and Challenges are two different things. In the video, they clearly played the game wrong in regards to counteractions, but challenging was spot on.

Todd Kauk wrote:

No anger, I just find the thought funny. Especially since you haven't even played the game.

I never stated that I knew how to play the game...that is the whole point! I am trying to find out how to play properly before I get it to the table. Many people are struggling with the rules of Coup (included the people who run this wonderful site ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played 'correctly' (no blocking when you're not the target) but watching this video, I think it looks fun the way they're playing it, and it leads to a new dimension of politics around the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule I most see played wrong is that after a challenge of something you actually had, you place your card in and then shuffle and draw a new one. So it's possible you'll get the same card right back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I've updated the video with annotations where we blew it! Sorry for the problems with the rules y'all - it was still a fun game regardless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, yeah... I messed up that Counteraction rule. I had been taught the game before and "knew" it already, so I only glossed over the rules before teaching it here. The original rules are rather short, and say this under the general heading of Counteractions: "Players may claim to influence any of the characters and use their abilities to counteract another player."

So I when I re-read that, I took it to mean that ANY player could use their role to "defend" against any OTHER player - i,.e. 3rd party defending was okay.

Alas, I didn't then read the specific roles listed after that - again, because I already "knew" the game - but it does state under the Ambassador/Captain: "The player who is being extorted may claim either the Ambassador or the Captain and counteract to block the extortion." And while it doesn't say "ONLY the player being extorted..." I think I would have understood the meaning here had I read it.

Luckily, this version of the game is not really available anymore, and, from what I understand, the new rules make this clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnott wrote:

Luckily, this version of the game is not really available anymore, and, from what I understand, the new rules make this clearer.

At my workplace, it is unlucky this version isn't available any more! They would love a copy of this edition of the game, which is a joy to play with compared to the other editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Arnott wrote:

At my workplace, it is unlucky this version isn't available any more! They would love a copy of this edition of the game, which is a joy to play with compared to the other editions.

I'll second this, I would much rather have this version over the Resistance version. Looks better and my group never did fall for the Resistance at all, so the art is more of a turn off than the nice woodcut look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tesler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Hooraaaay! Everybunny's finally here!
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister actually got this for Christmas. It's been fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
I'll second this, I would much rather have this version over the Resistance version. Looks better and my group never did fall for the Resistance at all, so the art is more of a turn off than the nice woodcut look.

Agreed - The Resistance version art didn't do much for me. The French version of Coup, Complots, has wonderful charismatic art, but the characters are almost impossible to tell apart across the table. La Mame edition all the way - the La Mame expansion (Reformation) is amazing too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.