Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Kamps
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's the best & easy/quickest way to find out if a game is Out of Print (or O.O.P. if I'm not mistaken)?

I've noticed some online game retailer sites may list a game as "out of stock", or "temporarily out of stock", but I'm not certain that means if a game is currently not being produced or is hard to find.

I've also recognized that some games prices raise (perhaps when stock is low) & then lower later on (possibly due to a 2nd printing or more in stock).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no easy way to know if a game soon will be out of print. But to know if you've already reached that, just search for it on http://www.boardgameprices.com. very few or no stores have it, it's out of print. Of course popular games often get reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Email the publisher or check the General or News forum for the game also helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Go to publishers website. If they don't have one or if it sucks, then email the publisher and ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
There's no easy way to know if a game soon will be out of print. But to know if you've already reached that, just search for it on http://www.boardgameprices.com. very few or no stores have it, it's out of print. Of course popular games often get reprinted.

Odd, I searched for Sekigahara and CSI wasn't listed. If I did a specific store search it came up. Adding shipping would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: How to find out if a game is Out Of Print (OOP)?

A: Read the BGG forums and look for posts from people who were wishy-washy about buying the game when it was available for $39.99, but are now desperate to pay $100+ in order to get a copy. Such a game is likely OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
BGG could use an "Out-Of-Print" flag.
That way people would know from the game's frontpage whether it is easily available or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
That way people would know from the game's frontpage whether it is easily available or not.

Or like a 'click here if you want it, but can't find it for any less than 2x MSRP'. Once you see it pass a threshold, you know it's OOP.

Now, figuring it out when it finally gets reprinted...

Definite issues with OOPedness -
IP issues. The company goes out of business that owned the rights...kiss that game GOOD-BYE. Same with contested rights.

Special figures. The pieces were printed years ago, and they would need to remake the molding to make it work. It's not gonna happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kamps
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.