Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Plascrete Carapace for netdamage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Can Plascrete Carapace be used to prevent net damage though it says "meat damage" on the card? I am assuming no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Enniss
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Why would you think it would be able to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
grab a deus x if you need net protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why having 2 type of damage with the exact same effect in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So that the runner cannot protect against everything easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:

meh, this is just making something overcomplicated. I bet the runner had additional resource and meat damage was targeting this "life points/HP", but they changed this at the last moment and left meat damage effect...
The whole concept is out of place.
If net damage disrupt the electronics and the hardware.
Brain damage is directed to the runner brain and the runner connection to the VR
Meat damage must hurt his body.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@kmazut
Differentiating the type of damage allows for more design space. They have used this design space both thematically and mechanically to good effect. Adding an HP mechanic would make the game more complicated, not less.

Your assertion that there was an HP mechanic during development is probably wrong considering that this was not a mechanic in the origional netrunner game, but meat/net damage was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haven't played the previous game, but still this doesn't feel right, thematically even less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:

It also fits the theme. Net damage is a "shock to the system" and just scrambles the runners thinking for a while, where Meat damage indicates the Corp. has learned something about the Runner in the "real" world, often through a Tag, and has sent someone to harm the Runner.

Take more damage than you can handle and you lose your mind or your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
Haven't played the previous game, but still this doesn't feel right, thematically even less.

Wearing a plascrete carapace (essentially body armor) wouldn't protect you from you getting damaged while jacked in, and a 'net shield' program wouldn't protect you from getting shot or your city block getting firebombed. How does that not make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:
Can Plascrete Carapace be used to prevent net damage though it says "meat damage" on the card? I am assuming no.

Can I use a Hedge Fund to get 9 agenda points instead of credits, and win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Edwards
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Bodasafa wrote:

Can I use a Hedge Fund to get 9 agenda points instead of credits, and win?

Hmmmm, this doesn't feel right to me. Screws up the theme, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saan wrote:
kmazut wrote:

Wearing a plascrete carapace (essentially body armor) wouldn't protect you from you getting damaged while jacked in, and a 'net shield' program wouldn't protect you from getting shot or your city block getting firebombed. How does that not make sense?

This is exactly how I see it as well. I also like that meat damage often requires a tag so the corp can physically find the runner.

However when it comes to theme you can always dig deeper to expose inconsistencies. I'm not saying this is bad, only that it is unavoidable since we are not hackers/corps fighting over data in the near future. I only mention this because this line of arguement often goes nowhere if someone is stubborn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
This is something a lot of people new to netrunner find weird, until they get to grips with the game and realize it totally makes sense to have three different kinds of damage.

Welcome aboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Galdames
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:

There's different reasons, but the more obvious ones are:

Flavour and theme: Some damage comes from within cyberspace; short bursts of excess stimulation, right into your nervous system. This is net damage (it's stronger variant Brain damage)
Agents that the corporation sent after you go for your "meat". An unfortunate building crashing down on top of you, that's your meat taking a beating. It makes sense to separate them.

Balance and variety: It's better for the health of the game to have different effects that key off of different sources. An armor piece that works like an answer to everything would be very difficult to balance and -even worse- extremely boring, don't you think?

Keep those questions coming man, Netrunner's a daunting game at first, but it's well worth the hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kmazut wrote:

Is it not thematic for there to be different types of ICE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Otterson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kmazut wrote:

Naw, it's incredibly thematic.

Meat damage usually requires the runner to be tagged--some examples being Scorched Earth or Private Security Force.

If the Corp has tagged the Runner, they know where they are in meatspace. Meaning they can bomb the goddamn tenement (Scorched Earth) or send in some thugs with guns (Private Security Force).

The designers in this game know what they are doing. I think you need to play a little more to see that or think about it a little more. That's all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:

Thematically? it totally fits

Think of it this way: the corps can either hurt you through the net or through the meat world. They can attack your digital manifestation or they can shoot your body.

You've watched The Matrix, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Net Damage has important differences from Meat Damage:

- Net can be dealt by ICE.

- Meat only dealt by Corp on its own turn.

- The two have different defenses against them.

Two different Corps specialize in them. Weyland is Meat and Jinteki is Net.

It all fits perfectly thematically and in terms of game mechanics drives different lines of play nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are getting a few things about meat damage wrong here. Flare and Punitive Counterstrike don't require a tag (but to make up for it, they need traces). Flare and Dedicated Response Team can damage on the runner turn. I'm sure the future will bring further exceptions.

Regardless, I think the people who are perplexed by the difference between net and meat damage should consider if they are equally against games having fire damage and ice damage, with different sources and resistances and only occasional mechanical differences (as the Jinteki version of Chronos Protocol would offer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:

meh, this is just making something overcomplicated. I bet the runner had additional resource and meat damage was targeting this "life points/HP", but they changed this at the last moment and left meat damage effect...
The whole concept is out of place.
If net damage disrupt the electronics and the hardware.
Brain damage is directed to the runner brain and the runner connection to the VR
Meat damage must hurt his body.

And why are there these different kinds of ice? Yog.0 should be allowed to break everything. Just makes it too complicated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle James
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Both Flare and Dedicated response team deal meat damage on the runners turn. Flare is an ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
Joelist wrote:

- Meat only dealt by Corp on its own turn.

Wrong. DRT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
And why are there these different kinds of ice? Yog.0 should be allowed to break everything. Just makes it too complicated...

I was teaching this one guy how to play, and he actually said, "Why are there three kinds of ice? Why can't they just have one? That seems gimmicky."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.