4 Posts

Berserk: War of the Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Rules Clarifications I wish I had when starting. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shanti Massey
msg tools
Hey all,

Like many of you, I got pretty confused after reading the rules. After playing a few games and reading the forums a bit. I got the gist of it. I thought a quick summary of the questions I had and the rules ruling would help others. There are lots of posts about rules, these are just the biggest ones that came up and that I see asked over and over.

I'm still new myself, so if I have anything wrong, just let me know and I'll throw it in.

1) Format of attacks other that "Basic Attacks"

This confused me at first. Some attacks were "Throw: 1" and others were "Throw: 1-1-2." The rules say that these are resolved with a Standard Combat Roll but without 3 numbers I was confused as to how this was resolved.

In the end "Throw: 1" is just shorthand for "Throw: 1-1-1" you still have the attacker roll for damage but only when another rule comes into play (such as someone buffing your light attack or something)otherwise its just the stated damage without any need to roll anything.

2) The difference between Basic attacks and pretty much everything else.

This was a big one that was not given enough attention in the rule book IMHO. You only get a defense role against BASIC ATTACKS. So pretty much everything else will hit you without a roll. Shot, Throw, Blast, Special, etc.

This also means a Protector can only defend against BASIC ATTACKS. Same deal. Shot, Throw, Blast, Special, etc.

3) Range on attacks with no listed Range (also how range works at all)

I saw this early on, but the guy I played with didn't, and I see it alot on the forums. If no range is listed it is unlimited.

It bears noting that you still cannot hit targets adjacent to you. and that range forms a box around you of able targets. Example:

xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
-----
xoooo
xoxxx
xoxRx

Assuming the R is a unit with a Range of 2, o is where he could hit and x is where he could not. (Please someone correct me if I am presenting this wrong)

Where as an attack with no listed range would be like this:

ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
-----
ooooo
ooxxx
ooxRx

These are just the first few big ones we ran into. I can post more if these were helpful, or just shut up if they were not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On your first point you say the defender still rolls to see if it hits, but this is incorrect as it is a throw not a basic attack (non-magical melee). I think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanti Massey
msg tools
yup. Your right. lol!

Edit made. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard T
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After my first couple of obscurities I planned on doing such a post as well, now after several dozens I feel like its the publishers job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.