Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 3 – The Heart of Africa» Forums » Rules

Subject: terrain cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
warren maruschak
Canada
winnipeg
manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play terrain cards to double the value of a route do you play them in front of you or do you discard them to a communal discard pile?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mindphaser1 wrote:
When you play terrain cards to double the value of a route do you play them in front of you or do you discard them to a communal discard pile?


They are discarded, just like any other used card, otherwise a player could easily keep anyone else from doubling by hoarding the appropriate terrain cards. Requiring discarding at least gives the other players a fighting chance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still confused on this, so then how does anyone get terrain cards in front of them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Harper
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are always required to keep your terrain cards in front of you. This includes the one dealt to you at the beginning and any that your draw during the game. When you want to double the score for a route you discard the required number of terrain cards provided no one else has more of that particular terrain type than you do.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jharper921 wrote:
You are always required to keep your terrain cards in front of you. This includes the one dealt to you at the beginning and any that your draw during the game. When you want to double the score for a route you discard the required number of terrain cards provided no one else has more of that particular terrain type than you do.


Jon's correct - you keep train cards in your hand as with any other TtR map, but terrain cards are public knowledge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you know... Not sure how I missed that. Makes a completely different game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
The more you know... Not sure how I missed that. Makes a completely different game.


We initially played it as "keep the cards" and I ended up hoarding - to win. I had misread the rules and got called cheater as a punishment.

So yeah, happens to anyone and it make more sense as it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jharper921 wrote:
When you want to double the score for a route you discard the required number of terrain cards provided no one else has more of that particular terrain type than you do.

That's one reason that you need to keep your terrain cards exposed for all to see - so that other players can know whether they can use a particular kind of terrain card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little bit confused with terrain cards.I will give an example
Let's say that player A has 1 white/black terrain card and player B has 2white/black terrain cards.Can player B use one of his black terrain cards to double his score? Or he can't because he has more than player A?

And something else.if you don't have any terrain cards(zero) in front of you can you use a joker for any type of terrain?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matsas wrote:
I'm a little bit confused with terrain cards.I will give an example
Let's say that player A has 1 white/black terrain card and player B has 2white/black terrain cards.Can player B use one of his black terrain cards to double his score? Or he can't because he has more than player A?

pA: 1 white/black
pB: 2 white/black

Yes since pB has more than or equal to pA of the same type


matsas wrote:
And something else.if you don't have any terrain cards(zero) in front of you can you use a joker for any type of terrain?

I don't think so. The locos/wilds are still only train cards, not to be used with terrain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matsas wrote:
If you don't have any terrain cards(zero) in front of you can you use a joker for any type of terrain?

Yes.

You may discard Locomotives as wild terrain cards if you are short either for the numbered of terrain cards required by the route you are building or for matching opponents.

The rules give an example of a player playing a 3-train black route with only a single white/grey/black terrain card while an opponent has two of that kind of terrain card. The player discards a Locomotive with his terrain card and so doubles the route's value.

There is no reason that the same rule wouldn't apply if you had none of the necessary terrain cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
matsas wrote:
I'm a little bit confused with terrain cards.I will give an example
Let's say that player A has 1 white/black terrain card and player B has 2white/black terrain cards.Can player B use one of his black terrain cards to double his score? Or he can't because he has more than player A?

pA: 1 white/black
pB: 2 white/black

Yes since pB has more than or equal to pA of the same type


I forgot it.2 other situations in the same example
1) player B he can't use 2 white/black corect?
2)player A he can use his one white/black terrain card correct?

Thx for the answers!!!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If player A has 1 black/white/grey terrain card and player B has 2 black/white/grey terrain cards, then

- Player A cannot double a black/white/grey route.
- Player B can double a black/white/grey route.

Player A can double such a route if he discards a locomotive in addition to his terrain card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand wrong then.
So if you want to use a terrain card at least one player must have the same color terrain card with you and not the same number of the same colour terrain cards
Now make sense.....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matsas wrote:
I understand wrong then.
So if you want to use a terrain card at least one player must have the same color terrain card with you and not the same number of the same colour terrain cards
Now make sense.....


No. If you want to use a terrain card, you must at least tie the number of cards of the opponent that has the most terrain cards of that type. So if you have 2 cards, no other player can have 3 or more. If they have none, well, lucky you! It does not matter how many terrain cards you have left after your turn.

Quote from rules:
Quote:
The Terrain card(s) played must match the color of the Route claimed
AND
The player must have in front of him at least as many cards of that Terrain type as any other player.


If you have too few terrain cards, you might use one (or more) locomotives in stead of the missing card(s).

Quote from rules:
Quote:
During his turn only, a player may opt to use some of his Locomotives as Wild Terrain cards instead of Wild Train cards. Each Locomotive played this way is worth 1 Terrain card of the player’s choice.
All locomotives played as Wild Terrain cards must be discarded. They go on the Train discard pile.


(rules are found on https://cdn0.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/img/tt_africa_... )
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i have played so many games but this rule confused me so much!! My mind looks that he doesn't work so well wow wow !!
lets say that
Player A 2 black-white
Player B 1 black-white
player B want to use his 1 card for a 3 parts railroad.he can't use it because he has one less terrain card(Player A 2 black-white)
Player A can use his terrain cards or not for a 5 railroad parts??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matsas wrote:
i have played so many games but this rule confused me so much!! My mind looks that he doesn't work so well wow wow !!
lets say that
Player A 2 black-white
Player B 1 black-white
player B want to use his 1 card for a 3 parts railroad.he can't use it because he has one less terrain card(Player A 2 black-white)
Player A can use his terrain cards or not for a 5 railroad parts??


Player B can't use his 1 card. If he wants to use it, he can use take a locomotive from his hand:
– Look, he says and points to that particular locomotive, I regard this as a black/white/grey terrain card, so now I have two black/white/grey terrain cards. Nobody has more than I. I want to use one of my black/white/grey terrain cards to double my points for this 3-long route. Now I claim that route. To double my points, I must discard one of my terrain cards. I discard this locomotive which is seen as a black/white/grey terrain card.
Player B ends his turn with one black/white/grey terrain card left.

Player A can use his black/white/grey terrain cards, because no other player has more black/white/grey cards than him. When player B has used his two black/white/grey terrain cards, he has no black/white/grey terrain cards left.

*

If player A has played before player B, then player B's one black/white/grey terrain card is the only one in play. Nobody then has more black/white/grey terrain cards than player B, so player B can play his only black/white/grey card. Then he has no black/white/grey terrain cards left.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So the player with the most terrain cards(same colour) can use his cards whenever he wants?
Let's see if I understand correct now
A player 3black terrain
B player 1black terrain
A plays first and he can use one terrain card.Now at the end of his round has 2 black terrains
B player's turn now.he can't use his terrain card because has less than A player except if he use a joker card as terrain.Am I right now?


If player A has any number of terrain cards(same colour) and none else has the same colour can he use it???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matsas wrote:
So the player with the most terrain cards(same colour) can use his cards whenever he wants?
Let's see if I understand correct now
A player 3black terrain
B player 1black terrain
A plays first and he can use one terrain card.Now at the end of his round has 2 black terrains
B player's turn now.he can't use his terrain card because has less than A player except if he use a joker card as terrain.Am I right now?


Yes.

matsas wrote:

If player A has any number of terrain cards(same colour) and none else has the same colour can he use it???


Of course. He has more than 0 cards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.