Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Played a game with 5 people, everything went just fine. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

So I know the box says 1-4, but we had 5 people over the other night and I didn't want anyone to feel left out, so we played with 5 players.

Overall, the game still ran smoothly, but I dare say more fun due to the fact that we had 5 roles which players were trying to coordinate and use together to beat the game. Being the only semi-experienced player at the table, after a few coaching turns, I stopped coaching as saw the gears beginning to turn in everyone's eyes. You could practically see steam coming from their ears as they tried desperately to find that one move that would best use their role to eradicate a disease.

Anyways, good times. If you have 5 players that want to play and only have the core box, give it a shot! We did and had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5 player option isn't a huge jump, really just doubling the event card count from the base game so, something like 3 more player turns in a 4 player setup. You also will have a much better idea of what roles will come up from a random standpoint, but otherwise not something I would say shouldn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtyree1972 wrote:
The 5 player option isn't a huge jump, really just doubling the event card count from the base game so, something like 3 more player turns in a 4 player setup. You also will have a much better idea of what roles will come up from a random standpoint, but otherwise not something I would say shouldn't work.
Agree. I think a 5 player game with just the base is probably going to lose by running out of cards more than anything else. The expansion just lets you add more cards with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bourne
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also tried this 5 player variant you write about. I must say though our game didn't go so well, we were so close but we found that the player card pick up deck ran out way too quick. This in turn hindered the game play and the chances of success. I believe that a 4 player game is accurate for a winning chance although I do agree that having all roles accounted for was pretty encouraging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play this 5 player game with the base set only? Did you have to cmake any rules modifications? Each player had 2 cards at the start?

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
5 people, 2 cards each. No other modifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.