Tide of Iron» Forums » General

Subject: Nebelwerfer and Katyusha op cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just realized yesterday I may have been playing the above cards wrong all along. They say that if you pay X command you get to perform the card's attack at the BEGINNING of an action phase. I've always interpreted this to mean " when it's your first turn of an action phase" , but taking the card literally, it means you get to perform the attack (obviously if you manage to establish contact and it doesn't drift) before the enemy gets to take actions even if they have the initiative. This actually makes the operations cards more potent and worthwhile as you can break up/ disrupt an enemy attack before it takes place!

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed how te above cards are to be played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Just realized yesterday I may have been playing the above cards wrong all along. They say that if you pay X command you get to perform the card's attack at the BEGINNING of an action phase. I've always interpreted this to mean " when it's your first turn of an action phase" , but taking the card literally, it means you get to perform the attack (obviously if you manage to establish contact and it doesn't drift) before the enemy gets to take actions even if they have the initiative. This actually makes the operations cards more potent and worthwhile as you can break up/ disrupt an enemy attack before it takes place!

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed how the above cards are to be played?

That's the way that we play it, as it happens before the action phase actually begins. If the player with initiative has any similar cards they get to play theirs first. Otherwise, yes, it does make it pretty powerful if you can attack before the player with initiative gets to go.

Still not sure how it works, though, if you fail to establish contact after activating that card. Are you able to attempt to establish contact during your actual action phase as an action then? Or do you have to wait until before the next action phase to try to establish contact again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kaiser33 wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed how the above cards are to be played?

That's the way that we play it, as it happens before the action phase actually begins. If the player with initiative has any similar cards they get to play theirs first. Otherwise, yes, it does make it pretty powerful if you can attack before the player with initiative gets to go.

Still not sure how it works, though, if you fail to establish contact after activating that card. Are you able to attempt to establish contact during your actual action phase as an action then? Or do you have to wait until before the next action phase to try to establish contact again?

Yes, you'd have to wait till the next action phase, i.e. the next game round! (Just like you would with regular artillery cards). You wouldn't have to pay for it again, though, ig you failed to establish contact, only if you actually got to attack with the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
Good observation and thanks for sharing. Firing before other actions, is a very good bonus. Makes the suppressive far more useful. But as you also say, some rules are also needed for 'what if both players have the same ability' Maybe it isn't a great problem at the moment, cuz who cares who fires its artillery first (except for line of sight). But maybe in the future it will...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grand Stone wrote:
Good observation and thanks for sharing. Firing before other actions, is a very good bonus. Makes the suppressive far more useful. But as you also say, some rules are also needed for 'what if both players have the same ability' Maybe it isn't a great problem at the moment, cuz who cares who fires its artillery first (except for line of sight). But maybe in the future it will...

Well, say you fire a NORMAL artillery attack and eliminate the only squad(s) that would have LOS to the intended target of your intended artillery strike, then it'd sure make a difference.

Anyway, what'd be logical then is that the side with initiative would get to fire its card first. I.e. in my "L air of the Beast" scenario (attack on the Reichstag in literally the final days of the war) which is as good as finished, the Germans have the Nebelwerfer operations card and the Russians the heavy mortar card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.