Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Encounter phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet, but reading the manual I got a couple of doubts.

Are location encounters mandatory and token encounters not mandatory?
Do I resolve location encounters only in the city spaces?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Encounter phase goes like this:

If there are monsters, you must encounter every monster in your space. If they are all defeated, you MAY have one non-combat encounter.

If there are no monsters, you MUST have one non-combat encounter.

Non-combat encounter can be one of the following (your choice):
-Generic location (always available)
-Named location (such as London)
-Research encounter (where there is a clue)
-expedition encounter (where there is the active expedition token)
-other word encounter (where there is a gate token)
-defeated investigator encounter (where there is a defeated investigator)
-other encounters such as mysteries and rumors, as described by the components.

Note that the Detained condition or other text may prevent you from having encounters. The above is just the general rule.


So to answer your question, it is mandatory to have an encounter, but it doesn't matter what kind. Location encounters are available everywhere (and in fact you must have one if you are an unnamed space with no tokens)
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there ever a situ where u can have more than one encounter, i.e. close a gate and then do a clue or city?

Walts
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Encounter phase goes like this:

If there are monsters, you must encounter every monster in your space. If they are all defeated, you MAY have one non-combat encounter.

If there are no monsters, you MUST have one non-combat encounter.

Non-combat encounter can be one of the following (your choice):
-Generic location (always available)
-Named location (such as London)
-Research encounter (where there is a clue)
-expedition encounter (where there is the active expedition token)
-other word encounter (where there is a gate token)
-defeated investigator encounter (where there is a defeated investigator)
-other encounters such as mysteries and rumors, as described by the components.

Note that the Detained condition or other text may prevent you from having encounters. The above is just the general rule.


So to answer your question, it is mandatory to have an encounter, but it doesn't matter what kind. Location encounters are available everywhere (and in fact you must have one if you are an unnamed space with no tokens)


So I resolve a General Encounter card or a card from a location dedicated Encounter deck if I am on a city space; if I am not in a city space I just resolve a General encounter. Obviously considering that there is no token in the space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have a generic location encounter if you are on a city space that isn't named.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorlab wrote:
Is there ever a situ where u can have more than one encounter, i.e. close a gate and then do a clue or city?

Walts


As Cameron noted, if you defeat a Monster during a Combat Encounter, you can optionally have a second encounter.

As far as having two non-Monster encounters on the same turn, that is not allowed by the rules, but there might be some specific encounters that say something like "... and have another encounter." (And if such encounters do not exist in the base game, I'm sure we are just an expansion or three away from seeing them.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
Gorlab wrote:
Is there ever a situ where u can have more than one encounter, i.e. close a gate and then do a clue or city?

Walts


As Cameron noted, if you defeat a Monster during a Combat Encounter, you can optionally have a second encounter.
This is not quite 100%. If you defeat all the Monsters in a location you can have a single "normal" Encounter (i.e. any other non-Monster encounter available in your location).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
jda1974 wrote:
Gorlab wrote:
Is there ever a situ where u can have more than one encounter, i.e. close a gate and then do a clue or city?

Walts


As Cameron noted, if you defeat a Monster during a Combat Encounter, you can optionally have a second encounter.
This is not quite 100%. If you defeat all the Monsters in a location you can have a single "normal" Encounter (i.e. any other non-Monster encounter available in your location).


Oops, yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
jda1974 wrote:
Gorlab wrote:
Is there ever a situ where u can have more than one encounter, i.e. close a gate and then do a clue or city?

Walts


As Cameron noted, if you defeat a Monster during a Combat Encounter, you can optionally have a second encounter.
This is not quite 100%. If you defeat all the Monsters in a location you can have a single "normal" Encounter (i.e. any other non-Monster encounter available in your location).


Sorry to hijack. Pretty new to the game and enjoying it although having some problems with the rules. So if i did not manage to defeat the monster
hence i dont perform a local encounter?

Lets say there are 3 monsters on that space, i have to have 3 combat encounters? What if i lost the first 1, do i proceed to combat with the 2nd monster and so on?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You do all 3 combat checks regardless of outcome (well, if you die you don't have to keep going ). Then if there are no monsters on your space you must do a normal encounter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
JonBen wrote:
You do all 3 combat checks regardless of outcome (well, if you die you don't have to keep going ). Then if there are no monsters on your space you must do a normal encounter.


Right, and i cannot perform any other encounters as long as there are monsters still on the space right even despite i have already completed a combat encounter with those monsters right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. If even one monster survives you don't get to do an encounter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
JonBen wrote:
Correct. If even one monster survives you don't get to do an encounter.


Thanks!!. Really appreciate your help.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a reason that I provided the clarification and used the emphasis that I did.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar: My two sons
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
You do all 3 combat checks regardless of outcome (well, if you die you don't have to keep going ). Then if there are no monsters on your space you must do a normal encounter.


"May", not "must".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
JonBen wrote:
You do all 3 combat checks regardless of outcome (well, if you die you don't have to keep going ). Then if there are no monsters on your space you must do a normal encounter.


"May", not "must".


Thanks. You're right. If there are no monsters at the start of your encounter phase you must resolve an encounter. However, if you kill all the monsters in your space you may resolve another encounter. I missed that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional question. If I am on a spot with a clue token, and do the "research encounter," I have no idea if and when I am supposed to remove the clue token.

Do I remove it regardless of the encounter? Only on success? Couldn't find it in the rules. Thanks for your help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Research Encounters will all say "Gain the clue" or some such language when you should take it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean if I potentially "fail" the clue encounter say, five times in a row, the clue token simply stays on the space until I (or someone else) has a "successful research encounter" for it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found my own answer. Page 10 of the Reference Guide:

If the Clue token being encountered is not gained or discarded, it
remains on its space and can be encountered again.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.