Subject: Best Setup For Balanced 2-Player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Jones
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as luck would have it, I recently had the opportunity to try this game out and loved it. I was looking to purchase it and saw the deal pop up for Target so I went out and was lucky enough to purchase 2 of the core sets. After doing a little research on the forums, I put together a list of planned purchases to flesh out the game for 2 players and I was wondering if you Jedi Masters could tell me if this is a good start? This is for 2 players playing casually by the way.

2x Core Sets
1x TIE Fighter Expansion
1x TIE Advanced Expansion
2x X-Wing Expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
2 X-Wings is too much for that setup - you already have two from the core sets, personally I'd rather get a B-Wing instead, or an A-Wing.

You don't really want TIE Advanced unless you have everything else. A TIE Bomber, or a TIE Interceptor, gives you more options. Or both.

So with equal costs, this is what I'd recommend for options:

2x Core Sets
1x TIE Fighter
1x TIE Interceptor
1x TIE Bomber
1x B-Wing

With that, you can fill 100 points for both sides.

If you want to / can spend slightly more, getting another X-Wing would make sense - the pilots that come with it are awesome and don't come in the core set, and that would give you more options for the alliance again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Welcome to an awesome hobby, friend! Looks like a great start for 2 players to have a blast! I would maybe trade an xwing for a Y wing maybe just for variety's sake. Also, I see no big ships which might be a big loss as the millenium falcon is such an iconic ship for so many people. I also mention this as I don't know you'll have enough ships for 100 pts each. I dont wanna stress out your wallet but consider adding 1 falcon and 1 firespray as they do add a bit of variety. If cash is a constraint Id drop the 2nd Xwing xpac and thr TIE ADV. If cash isnt a problem, thrn get 1 of everything ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd honestly recommend that you get the YT-1200 and Firespray 31 next. With those and 2 core sets you can put together 2 fun lists.

But if you're not interested in the large ships yet. What you listed would work very well.

5 TF's 1 TA vs 4 X-Wings is a good match up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got 2 (Finnish) core sets myself for a great price (37.5eur total). We played a couple quickstart games with one core set, then I went back to the store and grabbed the other core set.

We played a fun 50-point learning game yesterday (2 X-Wings vs. 3 TIEs). I'm considering purchasing Y-Wing and Tie Advanced (they are available in Finnish) and the Tie Bomber and Millennium Falcon, but I know we'll have much fun with just the two core sets before we really need to add anything else. For casual play upping the points allocation to 60 gives more options than what I came up with for the 50-point game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jones
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great suggestions guys, I look forward to trying this out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.