Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received the game, read the rules, and am sorting the pieces, but I'm puzzled. Why do the four heads of households start with different positions. I thought they might balance out by being better on one gender than the other but it seems, for example, that getting Blue is clearly inferior to getting Black each time.

I realize the amount of randomness in the other draws may balance this out but I thought this a curious decision. Anyone have any insight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting topic! May I ask why you think one is better than the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think that the one with the orange token is the least desirable(just because this appears to be weakest action in the game by far)...otherwise the other three are fine with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Male and female heads in idfferent colors cannot balance each other out since you always only use the male or the female head. Thus, all 8 heads have to be of equal strength.

In general, female heads have more starting money, male heads more income.

I'ld say the slight differences are due to differing power of the bonus actions.

In detail: friends/income/starting gold/Bonus action color
MALE BLACK: 6/2/6/red
MALE BLUE: 5/2/5/blue
MALE BEIGE: 6/2/5/orange
MALE WHITE: 6/2/5/yellow

That means in the first generation red is the weakest bonus action, blue the strongest. I'ld agree - missions are better taken at the beginning of gen2, and you absolutely need children in gen1.
Orange and yellow are in between, both of the same strength in gen1. Both provide income for the rest of the game, but are expensive early on, so I'ld also agree over here.

FEMALE BLACK: 5/1/9/red
FEMALE BLUE: 5/1/8/blue
FEMALE BEIGE: 6/1/8/orange
FEMALE WHITE: 6/1/8/yellow

Again, blue is the strongest action, and yellow and orange are equal. Red has worse bonusses on the female side, lacking a friend card compared to the male side.

So in each group, all cards are rather equal, and both groups as a whole have the same balance (apart from the one friend card).

Regarding the difference between the male and female side, females have +3 gold in trade for -1 income. Income is better in long-term planning, but in the beginning income is much weaker than cash. Females are better suited for some early powerful cards, but males's effect will last the whole game.

In my opinion, the balancing is quite good!
But I wonder about the reason for the one friend card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thank you. On my first scan of the rules, I didn't catch the significance of the tokens on the cards (I only saw the friends/income/wealth as being significant). Thank you for the detailed explanation; now I must try the game itself and see what results I observe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scholtanus
Netherlands
Beek (gem Montferland)
flag msg tools
It is a shame one can not choose the gender they would like to start with before they get to see their friends in hand. Otherwise I'd always go female if I had one of the 3-4 high cost males (Martin, Louis and Charles are the most notable) on hand.

I'd consider Orange to be the weakest action, but it isn't as bad early on, if you get unlucky with the friends you get/marry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gee
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Coyote wrote:
Regarding the difference between the male and female side, females have +3 gold in trade for -1 income. Income is better in long-term planning, but in the beginning income is much weaker than cash. Females are better suited for some early powerful cards, but males's effect will last the whole game.

I'd like to add that starting with a female potentially lets you marry a prestigious male that gives you more income and prestige, but usually costs money to marry, hence the extra starting money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trym Johansen
Norway
flag msg tools
Or, like I did yesterday, marry Patrick the Stable Master. So common I needed no dowry, and he spent most of his time in the stables. Came when he was supposed to, and bred five kids in generation one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with assuming that blue is the most powerful bonus action is that this only applies IF YOU GET TO USE IT!
If you are not first or second player in the first generation, you will not get to play the blue extra action token
The same applies to red and orange, but these get more cash and friends to compensate

One sensible solution is to give everyone the same start after determining player order - 5/8 cash and 5 friends plus one random extra action token. If the player doesn't want that token, then they trade it in for 1 cash and 1 friend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely see actions being blocked to prevent players from using their extra action markers. It's true though that the Fertility Doctor is a popular choice, but then whoever blocked the Fertility Doctor should be getting his extra action marker blocked as well - you can't have it both ways, you see. The other two players (in a four player) would have a distinct advantage in that case...

FWIW, in the upcoming expansion the starting positions will be expanded on, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.