Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Today my wife, toddler daughter, and I went to a comic and collectible shop. My daughter had just fallen asleep so my wife kept her in the carseat, asking only that I leave the radio on and playing to help her sleep.

I was in and out fast.

But when I opened my door the radio was off and the dash lights were low. In that short time the battery had died. It was over 6 years old so it was inevitable.

I went back in to the shop to ask where the closest auto parts store was located. A guy trying to sell some games and toys told me how to get to the store 2 miles away. Later, on his way home, he passed me walking it and turned around to pick me up. All he asked for a ride there and back was a little gas money since he was on E. I agreed and off we went.

He told me on the ride that he had been trying to sell a 1935 Monopoly set but that the shop wouldn't buy it.

At the gas station, I offered to fill up his tank for his trouble. He decided that was too much--even though it was less than cab fare would have been. We settled on $20 worth of gas and I'd also get the Monopoly set. I agreed sight unseen.

He dropped me, my new battery, and the new to me Monopoly set back off at my car and went on about his day.

Thanks to Muurkrant.nl and a little internet research reveals, that what he thought was a 1935 is most likely 1943/45 war time Monopoly with wood houses and wooden tokens. I don't have the outer box but the inner box, board, and pieces look fairly nice considering their age.

This may be the most successful hitch hiking I've ever done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One good turn deserves another...I hope both of you were pleased with the outcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parker
Canada
Cobble Hill
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The vintage wooden pieces are always fun. I recall my parent's set (plastic houses, but wooden tokens), the tokens always kind of baffled me as a child.

Edit: Oh, and chances are you were accidentally running the headlights, fan, etc. Not just the radio, I've killed a battery that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, my battery died today, too. I dropped my wife and kids off then went off to run some errands. I got done quickly and was listening to the radio in a parking lot while I waited for the time to go pick them up. Like Colin said, was probably also running the headlights and fan. Battery was dead! But luckily, the parking lot I had decided to wait in was an auto part shop.

I also have a wartime Monopoly set. It's got a little note in about not including cellophane to preserve supplies for the war effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was no outer box on that edition. It consisted of a small box for the pieces and the board as independent pieces.

I'd appreciate a list of the colors of the player pawns in your box, as my set has a pink one that I don't think is original.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin Parker wrote:
The vintage wooden pieces are always fun. I recall my parent's set (plastic houses, but wooden tokens), the tokens always kind of baffled me as a child.

Edit: Oh, and chances are you were accidentally running the headlights, fan, etc. Not just the radio, I've killed a battery that way too.

The headlights are always on in that car. The fan wasn't I don't think. Eitherway, it should have lasted longer but didn't.

Oh well, best possible way to find out that I need a new battery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
There was no outer box on that edition. It consisted of a small box for the pieces and the board as independent pieces.

I'd appreciate a list of the colors of the player pawns in your box, as my set has a pink one that I don't think is original.

S.

I'm finding conflicting images and information online, so I don't really know what I have.

Mine has the red wooden hotels and green wooden houses.

I have the following colors for the pieces: blue, purple, green, red, orange, yellow, and black. Although, I don't know if all of my pieces are original or not. My yellow looks more like a Clue pawn than the other pieces in the set.
http://www.muurkrant.nl/monopoly/usa-classic-editions.htm
Although, looking at this site it looks like the yellow may have always looked that way. Maybe my orange is wrong but it looks like the other shapes. I wonder how consistent the pawn shapes and color were?

The dice are wooden.

The game money lists the 1935 copyright which is probably why the guy thoguht it was a '35.

I don't know what I've got. Looking at these vintage rules, if I mail Parker Brothers a $0.03 stamp they will gladly answer my questions. Maybe they can identify it.

Several other sites list the box I have as a 1940s without any exact date given.

I'm far from a Monopoly expert. I have the '60s Monopoly set that my mother grew up on but have never tried to be a Monopoly historian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    This is my set:

I don't have green, but I do have a midget pink, which I think may be a replacement. It may not be -- it may have been the end of the dowel and considered big enough to be shipped. Games prior to 1990 had far lower standards of blinginess.

Pay close attention to the text on the box, as that will tell you the edition you have. The cities on the bottom and the Patent Office line are the two changes that indicate the change in version in this era. (Two patent numbers vs one as well.) If you're all wood I'd wager your box is identical to mine, but most are very similar.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.