Mike Clarke
United Kingdom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, so thematically we're not overly keen on the idea of zombie survivors (zombivors) in PO, but love the figures... so we thought we'd spice it up a bit by working in some cliched zombie thematics and it seems to have worked well so far - in a fun kind of way! (Well we enjoy it so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else wasn't overly keen on the original zombivor theme...)

These particular heroes have been exposed to an experimental vaccine, but like all these things, it seems to affect people differently! Once 'killed', then during resurrection, the player rolls a D6:

Blue XP level:
2+ still retains their identity and plays as zombivor.
1 = Loses their identity and becomes a zombie walker. Place a walker figure on their card portrait.

Yellow XP level:
3+ still retains their identity and plays as zombivor.
1-2 loss of identity and becomes a zombie runner. Place a runner figure on their card portrait.

Orange XP level:
4+ still retains their identity and plays as zombivor.
1-3 loss of identity and becomes a zombie fatty. Place a fatty figure on their card portrait and spawn 2 walkers in the same zone.

Red XP level:
5+ still retains their identity and plays as a zombivor.
1-4 loss of identity and becomes a zombie abomination. Place an abomination figure on their card portrait if available.

If they are killed by their own side then they are still allowed to resurrect, but if they become a zombie then they become the berserker equivalent (well wouldn't you with your supposed friends gunning you down and running you over? At the very least you'd be seething!)

Each time a zombivor's killing spree reaches a new colour level, then another roll is made to see if they succumb to the violence, that is, losing their self awareness to their murderous baser urges as they go Zed, however, this time the player can add +1 to the roll if there is more than one friendly figure in the same zone ("Come on man, hold it together, we're here for you!", etc.)

If a zombivor does go Zed then their turn immediately ends, they lose all weapons and equipment (carried keys/objectives are placed in that zone) and they have no access to their skills, they play as though they were the zombie figure that is on their card portrait.

All is not lost however! For those missions were it's crucial for all survivors to exit, etc. a survivor/zombivor can attempt to bind and carry their zombified colleague using an action (as long as the colleague/zombie is not an abomination - they're just too big and too nasty!) Roll a D6 and subtract 1 if you have any wounds:

3+ Success
2 Fail
0-1 Fail and take a wound

On a success the bound zombie goes over your shoulder, the zombivor figure is placed in a 'card in hand' slot, one weapon can be retained in the other card in hand slot, all other equipment/weapons are discarded. A bound fatty can only be dragged or carried for the cost of 2 actions per zone. If you fail to bind it, then it'll cost another action to try again...

If a survivor/zombivor is brought low, then the carried zombie is no longer bound and presumed free, it can also be freed by a zombie attack which can haul it out of your grasp (and out of the inventory) when inflicting a wound (unless you sacrifice your last remaining weapon first)!

If the mission objectives are fulfilled, then the vaccine will work its scientific magic and return the colleague to its former self for the next mission.

So a few simple rules and there we have it! Will the virus claim you and/or your buddies or not! Nail biting stuff!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm somehow I always get the feeling that whenever someone posts houserules about Zombivors, no one really cares.
This is a shame since it seem that a lot of people, myself included, don't like the concept of friendly zombies and took a lot of time to create and share their ideas.

So let me break the silence with a few thoughts.

I think your idea seem funny but I suspect that the rules seem simple to you, only because you designed them.
To my experience this happends very often when designing houserules.

The idea about making 'turn rolls' depending on Danger Level sounds funny though.

Have you tested these rules? If yes, how did they work in action?

If it was me I would consider removing the binding rule, but I guess it depends on how you play the game.

As it is the game becomes way too easy when using the official ressurection mode, so by using your Zombivor rules it will only be a bit easier in comparrison. That is if you don't include the binding rule. But if your group don't like player elimination then I can see why you would prefer that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
United Kingdom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Allan, thanks for the comments. Truth told, I wasn't really expecting a response, but I had read that a lot of people didn't like the 'friendly zombie' idea, so it seemed worth posting on the off-chance that someone found them useful.

We've tested them over several games and they seem to work well, at least from a thematic and fun standpoint - if they've broken anything then we haven't really noticed. Knowing that your chainsaw-wielding, zombivor psychopath is literally carving her way through crowds of undead, and any second is about to reach red level and become an abomination on a roll of 4 or less, is pretty nail-biting. You have to hold them back; I guess it's another plate to keep spinning amongst all the other tactical decisions that need to be made, but fundamentally it means, that there's a downside to zombivors.

Only yesterday we had to kill a player's survivor who had turned into an abomination, but not before it had stung us a few times.

We quite like the binding rule but it has to be said that it can be a bit of pain if it happens early on. However, if the mission requires you to get all survivors to the exit, and just as you think you're making headway or about to complete it someone bites the dust, we think its worth the extra hassle of lugging some undead around over a shoulder while wielding a shogun or something, rather than restarting the mission! Obviously, if all survivors aren't required to complete the mission then we can ditch the binding rule just as easily!

We do find them simple and that could certainly be for the reasons you've mentioned, but we've definitely had plenty of laughs using them.

Cheers,

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty interesting variant, I like the idea of turning completely into zombie. But rolling the die on reaching new level makes it a little bit too predictable, how about rolling the die each time when an extra activation card is drawn?This will happen more frequently, of course, so you might need to decrease the numbers, but this will make it totally unpredictable.
Same way as in zombie movies - you never know when your bitten friend may start attacking you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Poppie
msg tools
How about every time a Zombivor takes a wound roll a D6 if you get equal to or below number of wounds taken(1 wound 1,3 wounds 1-3) Zombivor turns but not into a walker into a runner cause he is freshly dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.