Subject: New possible fix to Batiatus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

I propose that his ability may (also) be used after host position is decided. As in, he is providing 2 gladiators for a pre match before the real fighting takes place.

Advantages for Batiatus:

- He may use a gladiator bought during this turns market phase
- If he has 2 starters and a strong one he can use the 2 starters without fear of being asked to sacrifice the strong gladiator during intrigue
- With 3 starters and an "average" he can now turn 2 starters on intrigue, to get money for market, and then if he buys a stronger gladiator he can exhaust the 3rd started and the "average", while having the strongest for possible invitations. If he knows he will win host (because he didn't waste money during market) he may use all his gladiators with less fear of having to refuse to fight

Another idea popped up: Batiatus may exhaust 2 gladiators and get gold equal to half their value rounded down. 2 starters give 2 gold, but a starter and Agron will give 3 gold. Spartacus and Crixus will provide 5. I think both choosing before host and the increased value for better gladiators will help balance Batiatus, while not being overpowered, while adding realism AND new choices (instead of the usual exhaust the 2 worse guys)

ps: maybe even 1 gold extra to gladiators value for each favor (a normal starters and a starters with 2 favors would provide 3 gold)

NOTE/REASON: In some of the games I play we fix Batiatus by changing his ability to 3 gold. I think this is "ok", but I still play with 2 gold when it is at my place, because I feel 3 might be too much if he is played well. Because cheap gladiators pop up often, and then he can benefit from the +2 influence if you have 5 gladiators which is really strong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordante Mordante
msg tools
Still can't understand why people think this house needs "fixing" his ability is useful as its the equivalent of 2 gold and is useful for hiding gladiators when you need to.

Also it mirrors the situation that the house is in at the start of the show wonderfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played him with the base rule, and I don't have a problem with it, because in the end it doesn't matter that much. Still, in my opinion it is the weakest house of the 4 original, and from what I have read in here a lot of people thing the same

I think the biggest reason is because his ability does not allow him to generate gold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Kazimierczuk
Poland
Sulejówek
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mb
True, the house needs no fixing. Batiatus's ability isn't about gold producing at all, as to that he can profit from slaves or intrigues as any other house. What it gives compared to opponents is virtually unlimited number of gladiators, since most of them need no upkeep. And this alone leads to a lot of advantages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking the only thing needed to "fix" Batiatus is that he should get paid for favor and champion tokens if he decides to use gladiators that have them in the pre-game matches special ability.

I don't really see a need to balance houses for the most games as most games are self-balancing. I've won with Batiatus twice in my 5 wins (Solonius twice and Glaber once) in 10 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.