10 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dominion Newbie Q rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samantha P

Michigan
msg tools
Husband and I played Dominion (original box) for the first time tonight. We are pretty confused with the order we use action/buys/coins.

We would play by laying down a string of actions, such as using 3 markets in a row. Then we would count how many buys and coins we had. Then we would use them how we wished at the end of play.

It's confusing because the rules say, "The player must fully resolve an action card before playing another one." BUT on the next page it says "If the player has multiple Buys he combines treasure cards and any coins available from Action cards to pay for all purchases."

So can you stack everything then do buys at the end of your play? If so, if you have 3 buys left over with no coins left can you pick up three $1? Or do you have to play and follow through with each instruction on that action card before moving onto the next. I feel this would create a slow game.

Both ways create completely different games.

If this is the wrong place to post this question please tell me where to go. I tried searching but couldn't find anything that addressed this.

TIA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
In the buy phase, there are essentially 2 currencies. Coins and buys. Resolving a market gives you +1 buy and +1 coin as part of its effect. Then, in the buy phase, you can spend those resources. You don't buy a card as part of resolving it, you just gain that resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldmom wrote:
. . . using 3 markets in a row. Then we would count how many buys and coins we had. Then we would use them how we wished at the end of play.

. . .

"If the player has multiple Buys he combines treasure cards and any coins available from Action cards to pay for all purchases."

So can you stack everything then do buys at the end of your play?

If so, if you have 3 buys left over with no coins left can you pick up three $1?

You did it the right way: buying at the very end of your turn, using all the coins from all the Market cards plus the coin cards you drew.

And yes, you can add copper coins to your hand if you have extra buys but no more money. Later, after more plays, you'll likely discover that a bunch of copper coin cards don't work as well as other action card combinations. You might start discarding copper cards or not picking them up when you could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha P

Michigan
msg tools
So are we misinterpreting what "+1action means?" We thought it meant you could play an additional action from your hand.

So if you had this hand:

market
market
mine
1 coin
2 coin

Could you play market then another market then the mine? It has +1 action written on it so we thought it meant you could play another action card from your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldmom wrote:
"+1 action . . . it meant you could play an additional action from your hand.

You're right again. Yes, play Market, Market, Mine. Perfect! And then buy something that costs 5 coins (or several somethings that add up to 5).

By the way, there's another section on Board Game Geek called Games Forum. That's a better place for you to ask questions about a particular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha P

Michigan
msg tools
EllenCaroline wrote:
Goldmom wrote:
"+1 action . . . it meant you could play an additional action from your hand.

You're right again. Yes, play Market, Market, Mine. Perfect! And then buy something that costs 5 coins (or several somethings that add up to 5).

By the way, there's another section on Board Game Geek called Games Forum. That's a better place for you to ask questions about a particular game.

OK Thank you for much! You have answered my questions. I'll head there and look around. We got a bunch of games for Xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm being nosy now. What other new games did you get for Christmas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldmom wrote:

If this is the wrong place to post this question please tell me where to go. I tried searching but couldn't find anything that addressed this.

Each game has its own forum. Search for a game and scroll down the listing to see the forum. See Dominion

Then you can filter that forum down even further if you wish, in this case there is the 'rules' sub-forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha P

Michigan
msg tools
EllenCaroline wrote:
I'm being nosy now. What other new games did you get for Christmas?

We got Carcassonne, Pandemic, Love Letter and Settlers of Catan.

We are very new. We got ticket to ride and bang! a few years ago and they were very fun so we started searching for more. I never realized there were so many games other than Scategories and Monopoly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Goldmom wrote:
Husband and I played Dominion (original box) for the first time tonight. We are pretty confused with the order we use action/buys/coins.

When you play a card, you resolve it completely before moving on.

However, +1 Action just increases how many action cards you can play this turn, and +1 Buy just increases how many cards you can buy this turn. That's all they do when they resolve; they change what you can do later.

So, when you play Market, you completely resolve it before doing anything else. But that doesn't mean you buy a card then or play another action then; it means, you add one to how many actions you can play, you draw a card (+1 Card), you add one to how many coins you'll have available to spend in the buy phase, and you add one to how many cards you can buy in the buy phase. Then, once it's finished resolving, you can move on to playing another action (since Market gave you that +1 Action).

In the buy phase, if you have three extra buys and no coins left, you can pick up three Coppers (or Curses). That's not usually a good move but sometimes can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.