Ian Molloy
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered but I could not find this specific question.

The rules state that during a combat check you can have other people help out by playing one card of one type even if they are not at your location.

Would I be correct in that the wording is very specific.

So a Blessing states "Discard this card to add 1 die to a check" so it can be used to help however Spell: Lightning Tough states "For your combat check" which suggest it can only be used when that owner is in combat and not to help.

Also

Some traits have the additional modifier such as Strength 1d12 Melee +2.

I assume that the +2 is only for meleee specific checks so when in standard combat with a Bandit "check to Defeat Combat 8" you do not use the +2 even if using a melee weapon?

Many thanks in advance for any answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wording of the individual cards in question is the key.

Blessings can be used in any combat check because it is worded as "Discard to add 1 die to a check."

Weapons usually can only be used in your combat check because it is worded as "For your combat check,..." There are weapons with extra options, such as the second ability of a Longbow.

As for which skill is used in combat...

Pathfinder ACG: Rise of the Runelords Revised Rulebook, page 11 wrote:

Most monsters and some barriers call for a combat check. Weapons and many other cards that can be used during combat generally tell you what skill to use when you attempt a combat check; if you don’t play such a card, use your Strength or Melee skill. (A few items that can be used in combat don’t use any of your skills; they instead specify the exact dice you need to roll or the result of your die roll.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Molloy
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was playing the melee trait slightly wrong then as I did have occasions where I had no weapons so just counted the D12 and not the +2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.