Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Lee
Australia
Burwood Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have just finished reading the rules in the rule book and decided to look on BGG forums for more info on other things when i came by the thread quickcast vs quickaction. After reading it I have become confused as i thought i understood it prior to reading the thread.

The thread has stated that quickcast is the Action marker depicted on the mages yes i understand this and is only used during hte action phase prior / post creatures actions correct?
The thread also stated as it is a quickcast it is simply a spell? Yes? hence no movement is involved?

a Quick action is however when the player has a full action and uses it to use a movement + a quick action? Correct?

And on the thread it was stated that you can't move and take the quick action with your quickcast? this was what i understood from the thread.

However in the rulebook if you look under the Beastmaster's explanation
he may move and Cast a beast as a quick spell as his QUICKCAST action marker THEN use his FULL ACTION MARKER. Doesn't that mean quickcast action marker is essentially a full action marker but must be used with a quick action not a full action? Can someone please clarify this for me?

Kind regards in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Borders
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using an action marker allows you to:

take a move action + a quick action

OR

a FULL ACTION

Quick actions -
A quick attack
Cast a quick spell
Guard
Take another move action

Full actions -
Make a Full Attack
Cast a Full Spell

The Quick cast action allows you to cast one quick spell.

So in the example you gave, a beastmaster could use his full action to move 2 spaces and then use his quick cast to cast a quick spell such as his summon ability.

A Beast master could also use his full action to move one space and cast a quick spell and then also use his quick cast to cast another quick spell.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Lee
Australia
Burwood Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes what you said is what the thread said. But it contradicts what the rule book says about the beastmaster. It says that the beastmaster can move and cast a beast and then cast another beast which essentaillly is two full actions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Boland
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the ability card of the Beastmaster.

He can summon a level one animal creature with a quick spell. That modifies the rule ONLY for the Beastmaster.

Action marker: Move one square and quick cast a level one animal creature.

AFTER this or BEFORE Action marker turn (Quick cast rule: You can only use your quick cast spell durig Quick Cast phases or right before or right after a friendly creature Action phase; here the mage is the friendly creature)

Quick cast spell marker: cast a level one animal creature

A quick cast SPELL action marker is not a full action marker.
For the Beastmaster is summoning a level one animal creature a quick cast SPELL and not a full action.

My statement is not correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps, I've suggested to some new players to call it the "Free Cast" token, and have them put it next to them (the player), and not on the Mage's card. I just make sure they understand, the "Free Cast" can only be used for a quick spell, not one that takes a full action. That seems to help them remember they can use it any time before/after their units go.

A full spell/action takes all your concentration. You can't walk/run and cast/do them too. Except for the Beastmaster, who can walk, cast a full spell to summon a creature, and chew gum at the same time . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taipan wrote:
Look at the ability card of the Beastmaster.

He can summon a level one animal creature with a quick spell. That modifies the rule ONLY for the Beastmaster.

Action marker: Move one square and quick cast a level one animal creature.

AFTER this or BEFORE Action marker turn (Quick cast rule: You can only use your quick cast spell durig Quick Cast phases or right before or right after a friendly creature Action phase; here the mage is the friendly creature)

Quick cast spell marker: cast a level one animal creature

A quick cast SPELL action marker is not a full action marker.
For the Beastmaster is summoning a level one animal creature a quick cast SPELL and not a full action.

The rulebook may be wrong. The ability of the Beastmaster to cast a level one creature using a quick spell can only be used ONCE per Round if I remember the ability wording correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Boland
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, Tom.

Level One is ONCE per round

So it is impossible to move and summon 2 animals in one turn.

For two animals:

Full action marker for summon an animal as a full action
and
Quick cast spell marker for summon a level one crature

But not move in this turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.