Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan F.
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like the feeling that Power Grid gives me. The math and the engine building makes me feel very accomplished at the end of the game. Are there any other games that give you similar feelings but have different mechanisms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
If the part you like about Power Grid is the auctions then do try Keyflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PG is one of my favourite games and I haven't yet found anything to match it, so you might struggle! It is one of the best games out there.

You might consider train games such as Steam, since they have route mechanisms and there is bidding in Steam each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Power Grid, so you'll probably like my other favourites

any 18xx
Through The Ages, Clash of Cultures or Nations
Arkham Horror

All have an engine building mechanism.

I can't really help if you like the auction mechanism because Power Grid is probably the only game with a significant auction that I like.

Brass isn't a bad choice, but a better solution is to buy more maps for power grid - a friend owns PG, I keep buying and giving to him the expansions so that we keep playing it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, being that Power Grid is often called a train game in disguise, I would try a train game.Steam is probably your best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1
Brass: it's a very interesting economic engine with forms of interaction that are far from obvious.
Steam: this is the only game I own that makes me sad when I put it away
Keyflower: fascinating auction / worker placement crossover where the sum of the parts are so much less than the whole.

Further recommendations
Concordia: simple ruleset deep gameplay marvelous scoring mechanics. One of my top games from Essen. Navegador and Imperial 2030 are by the same designer and well worth a look too.
Russian Railroads: another Essen game. This game escalates in a way that is unparalleled.
Cyclades: from the outside this looks like it's going to be an out and out fist fight, but the whole thing is controlled by an inspired auction mechanic. You can head off needing to beat someone in a fist fight, by beating them in an auction instead.
Trajan: one of Stefan Feld's best games, this is like being put through a mental corkscrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poseidon is similar in duration, complexity, and has related mechanics which work differently enough to make it a completely different experience.

It involves network building, investment and return, and plenty of mathy decisions. I think it's a great alternative to Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bboyafu wrote:
I really like the feeling that Power Grid gives me... Are there any other games that give you similar feelings but have different mechanisms?

pfctsqr wrote:
Well, being that Power Grid is often called a train game in disguise, I would try a train game.Steam is probably your best bet.
My group loves Power Grid as well. I saw David and Richard's recommendation for Steam which may be a good consideration. For my group, however, Power Grid and Railways of the World are the top two favorite games.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great Wallace option:

Tinners' Trail - It has my favorite implementation of auctions than any game I know. It plays quicker than most of the above recommended games too. Great game.

+1 Brass: Lancashire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you want to check out Planet Steam. That's definitely a great, very mathy game. There's bidding, resource production and speculation. A great combo for anyone who isn't afraid of a little bit of math in a game.

Also you could check out Power Grid: Factory Manager if you are looking for something which is in the same vein as Power Grid but still very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis
The Capitals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermagor is a wonderful connection game. You must buy goods at the market each round (with an ingenious bidding system), then travel the kingdom selling them ONLY in towns that are looking for that particular good. Must pay tolls to use the roads, and try to complete whole sections to add bonus money. The overall feel is similar to PG (without the catch-up mechanism), but the market adds a completely different component to it. I cannot say enough good things about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wealth of Nations has a lot of math and you're building an engine of sorts. I'm not particularly a fan of either game, but I feel like their fan base should overlap by a fair amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games you may want to consider

Chicago Express
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Dominant Species

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manila
Plethora
Siberia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Came to say Brass; agree that Keyflower gives is a nice engine building with auction experience. As mentioned, a train game might be good. Steam is you want a heavier experience, Railways of the World is you want the beer-and-pretzels version. I love both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.