Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Price
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing my first solo game. On the event tile it shows in the book that the top two (military and Stability) are performed immediately by the square symbol. The rules for the solo game says add books to shadow opponent.
On the tile the book is in a circle which means to perform that action at the end of the round. So do I add the number of books immediately?
Also when refilling architects do I put the number of architects in play that is shown on the tile event it is also in a circle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ:

Q: What does the Books on the solo
tiles mean?
A: That is how many books the
shadow opponent gains at the start
of this round. Depending on the
actions shown on a roll of 5 or 6
there might be further changes to
the total amount of Books the
shadow opponent has this round.

And that is the number of Architects that are in play this round, so yes, even though they are in circles, they are done at the beginning of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Price
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my thinking but wanted to be sure - thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Price
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is military accumulative from age to age?
If so the shadow opponent is way ahead of me.
Maybe that doesn't matter since he causes no wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
leegin wrote:
Is military accumulative from age to age?
If so the shadow opponent is way ahead of me.
Maybe that doesn't matter since he causes no wars.

Opponent strength is reset every round when you draw a new tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rustan,

Presumably then Stability is also re-set each round. Makes the game seem too easy. [I've played twice solo, scores of 32 and 48 at the easiest level, while having the shadow's Strength, Stability, and books increase each round by the number on the solo cards.] I lose a VP per round for low stability but earn more by ignoring stability concerns. Am I correct?

Regarding War, if I've purchased a war at my first opportunity, I presume I have thus purchased the ONLY war that will be effective that round and thus precluded the shadow player from using the war token. When the shadow player later rolls a column number and takes away cards that include another war I've just put the war in the discard pile. Correct?

Stability seems to be a non-issue in the solo game. Since I almost always cancel out the effects of a war by buying it myself, Stability does not seem to have much effect. I can therefore increase my population by one each round at the cost of three negative stability, less than 1/3 VP when scored, plus foregoing the resources I might alternatively take, often a sensible choice because a worker produces value equal to two or more resources per round for up to eight rounds. [Haven't played this way yet. So far have used only the original five workers.]

I suspect that higher handicapping and advanced and expert cards will make me work harder but I'm considering a house rule to use the event cards in the solo game to make Stability mean something.

Thanks for your attention.

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt:

Stability is also reset each round for the shadow, same as for the strength. If you do not have more Stability than the opponent you lose 1 VP each round, and also lose 1 VP (and books) if you have negative Stability every round. So 2 VP + books for taking stability workers and ignoring the stability level completely.

Yes, if you buy a war then further wars discarded by rolling the die for the shadow have no effect, same as for the normal game where only one war per round can be bought. But if you do that you must have the most strength every round, and you risk something you really want getting rolled away (and if you have most strength you do not need to buy wars anyway). If you do not have most strength you will go second, the shadow will roll once before you do your first action and you risk being hit by a war.

I guess you have missed something, I would not consider Stability possible to ignore in the solo game, nor that the solo game is too easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rustan,

Thanks for your response. It changes my understanding of the solo event tiles. I had not correctly interpreted the rules regarding re-setting the shadow player's Strength and Stability every round.

Nations is thoroughly enjoyable as a solo game, particularly during what some call the "zero turn," planning the entire round after the progress cards are placed. I have far less experience with this game than do you or the Europeans who have been playing it since Essen, but it seems to me that the zero turn in the solo game can be much more effective than in a multiplayer game. The odds of dice rolls are more easily calculated than the whims of opposing human players. [One of the advantages of playing solo is that no one complains about my "analysis paralysis" which to me is fun rather than something to be avoided. Nations gives me loads of opportunities for careful consideration of important decisions which is great.]

Respectfully, I am inclined to differ with you regarding the impact of a war in a solo game. From my inexperienced perspective it seems manageable. I expect to play Nations many times. I will keep notes and report back. Because I live over an hour's drive from the nearest gaming group most of my game play is solo. I find that many games have strategic differences when played solo.

I have not yet employed a "use all the Stability meeples with impunity" strategy but will try that a few times. I may have overstated the case a bit in my previous post, but the cost of only one VP per round for having up to four extra workers in use for many rounds seems to present an opportunity rather than a hindrance when playing without the event cards. It may be viable only in the solo game. Or not at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:
Rustan,

Thanks for your response. It changes my understanding of the solo event tiles. I had not correctly interpreted the rules regarding re-setting the shadow player's Strength and Stability every round.

Nations is thoroughly enjoyable as a solo game, particularly during what some call the "zero turn," planning the entire round after the progress cards are placed. I have far less experience with this game than do you or the Europeans who have been playing it since Essen, but it seems to me that the zero turn in the solo game can be much more effective than in a multiplayer game. The odds of dice rolls are more easily calculated than the whims of opposing human players. [One of the advantages of playing solo is that no one complains about my "analysis paralysis" which to me is fun rather than something to be avoided. Nations gives me loads of opportunities for careful consideration of important decisions which is great.]

Respectfully, I am inclined to differ with you regarding the impact of a war in a solo game. From my inexperienced perspective it seems manageable. I expect to play Nations many times. I will keep notes and report back. Because I live over an hour's drive from the nearest gaming group most of my game play is solo. I find that many games have strategic differences when played solo.

I have not yet employed a "use all the Stability meeples with impunity" strategy but will try that a few times. I may have overstated the case a bit in my previous post, but the cost of only one VP per round for having up to four extra workers in use for many rounds seems to present an opportunity rather than a hindrance when playing without the event cards. It may be viable only in the solo game. Or not at all.

The penalty for negative stability in the solo player game is not 1 VP per round, but 2 plus book loss - lose 1 VP plus X books in production for being negative X stability, and 1 VP for having lower stability. If you produce stability enough to stay positive in Stability, but are lower than the tile, you lose 1 VP, but you have used workers to get back the stability lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Price
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate the feedback on the Solo game - it has helped greatly. I also have not been resetting the military, books nor stability after each round. Makes a huge difference. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have added another note on resetting stability and strength for the shadow to the faq.

I'm very interested in hearing about how the solo games go! I really hope there is no broken strategy where the best option is to ignore some aspect of the game. We'll see as you all play more and more, that is the scariest part right now: did we miss something during development? In case there is such a strategy, the more help we can get with re-balancing the better.

Yes, the shadow is a lot more predictable than real opponents. It will always be more interesting to play against humans, and during development the focus was to make the solo game both as easy and as close to the multiplayer experience as possible. When it was impossible to do both, faster and easier was prioritized, especially for running the shadow. I personally dislike setting up complete fake players and running them like an automaton, I never play such solo variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Aaron. I've read the Productions section five times and my brain has refused to remember the "one book per negative stability" rule. This is partly because I have not encountered negative stability yet but my mental block has clearly affected my comments about using all the stability meeples. That strategy needs re-thinking at best and possibly discarding.

Rustan,

Thanks for paying attention to the BGG threads concerning Nations.

I also dislike predictable automatons in solo games. The game AI ideally should react to the human player's actions in a realistic, and therefore mostly unpredictable, way. Unfortunately, I play almost all my games solo so I take what I can get and create my own solo rules where I can.

After I have a dozen or two games under my belt I may comment further. For now I clearly need to learn from those who have more experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:

After I have a dozen or two games under my belt I may comment further.

Please do, or sooner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Nations the other day and broke it out earlier for a solo game. I felt it worked exceedingly well and I'm not generally one to enjoy solo play. Nations may be the exception going forward.

The Shadow player is, by its nature, relatively predictable. You can, for instance, determine from turn to turn how to manage your stability to stay ahead of him. If, for instance, he has 1 stability and his 5/6 reactions do not change the stability in any way, you can afford to lower your stability a bit or not need to increase as much. Same for military strength. You can determine whether you will need to increase military to maintain 1st in turn order or if you can let it slip. This also determines how you handle wars or if you even need to be concerned.

Rather than seeing this predictability as a defect, I saw it as a challenge and an opportunity to more fully utilize my limited resources. I only lost one war, very early in the game, and after snagging Elizabeth, was in a much better position to ignore the prospects of war (although on the last round of the game the Shadow player started with 23 military strength...no war that turn, however, because I only bought a couple of cards and the Shadow player didn't wipe out any rows with a war in it and the rest of my turn was spent deploying units to buildings which required no additional dice rolls.)

More worrisome to me was the Shadow player wiping out a column of cards. This made review and determination of which card was a 1st round must buy very interesting to me. In the first turn of the game, I built up military, hoping to snag an early province, but the Shadow player wiped it out. While a bit disconcerting, I was able to keep that military in place and in turn two pick up a couple of colonies. Except for that first turn I can't recall the Shadow player knocking out any cards I really wanted, although in the mid-game this could have happened when I lost turn order to "him", which I regained after a turn or two when his event tile draw pulled his military down to a more reasonable level.

What I found most difficult was being able to "afford" additional workers. Either I needed a critical resource during the phase where you make that decision or I knew I couldn't afford the stability or food hit (especially when the famines get up to -7 or -8!) I suppose I need to learn to evaluate whether taking the worker will be terribly detrimental, or just a little detrimental based on the return I can get from having him.

All said, I really enjoyed my first run through and ended with 42 points. I look forward to some more solo games but especially look forward to getting this to the table with my gaming friends for a 4 or 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever bought a war in solo play. Mostly because I didn't want to waste the action on something that didn't gain me anything. If the war was really bad I would rather build up my military than waste a turn buying that war. So I've been pretty pacifist in my solo plays so far (53 is best score so far on 2 resources/worker setting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
Except for that first turn I can't recall the Shadow player knocking out any cards I really wanted

I've only played this twice, both times solo, and it seemed to me that almost every die roll consisted of me saying (for example) "OK, any number but 2" then rolling a 2. But actually that process of having your plans scuppered by the removal of cards and having to concoct a plan B was something I found added to the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Boggs
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do find the solo game frustrating sometimes. I tend to roll the exact number I don't want to roll quite a few times.

However I don't find the game less enjoyable because of this, I'm sure a human opponent would pick the cards I want as well.

There are occasions when it is useful to buy a war. There is one wonder (forgotten which) that gives you a VP when you buy a war. Buying a war also means you don't have to pump the military when that 20+ military solo tile comes out.

I'm finding an average score of about 35-40 at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.