United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... I can only use it if I haven't cast anything else in combat? Seems kind of stupid to me. Read this rule a few minutes ago:

Take damage, if necessary. If you fail a check to defeat a monster, it deals an amount of damage to you equal to the difference between the difficulty to defeat the monster and your check result. Unless the card specifies otherwise, this damage is Combat damage. For example, if the difficulty to defeat a monster is 10 and the result of your check is 8, the monster deals 2 Combat damage to you. See Taking Damage, below. Remember that players may not play more than one of each card type during a check, so if you previously played a spell to affect the check, you may not play a spell to reduce damage.

So a fighter can attack with a sword, lose,take damage, and reduce damage with an armor card, but a wizard can't attack with shocking grasp (or whatever), lose, take damage, and defend with Mage Armor (or whatever)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
... I can only use it if I haven't cast anything else in combat? Seems kind of stupid to me. Read this rule a few minutes ago:

Take damage, if necessary. If you fail a check to defeat a monster, it deals an amount of damage to you equal to the difference between the difficulty to defeat the monster and your check result. Unless the card specifies otherwise, this damage is Combat damage. For example, if the difficulty to defeat a monster is 10 and the result of your check is 8, the monster deals 2 Combat damage to you. See Taking Damage, below. Remember that players may not play more than one of each card type during a check, so if you previously played a spell to affect the check, you may not play a spell to reduce damage.

So a fighter can attack with a sword, lose,take damage, and reduce damage with an armor card, but a wizard can't attack with shocking grasp (or whatever), lose, take damage, and defend with Mage Armor (or whatever)?


Yes, this is correct. As for "what is the point?", there are times where I had to bash opponents with a Quarterstaff...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No it's not right. The defence is a completely different check from the combat check, therefore a Mage can play an attack spell and then defend with arcane armour if needed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
No it's not right. The defence is a completely different check from the combat check, therefore a Mage can play an attack spell and then defend with arcane armour if needed.


I think you are wrong about this, Martin. This is why the Arcane Armor had to be errata-ed to say "You may play another spell on this check."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
Flamehearted wrote:
No it's not right. The defence is a completely different check from the combat check, therefore a Mage can play an attack spell and then defend with arcane armour if needed.


I think you are wrong about this, Martin. This is why the Arcane Armor had to be errata-ed to say "You may play another spell on this check."


So you can or you can't? lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
Flamehearted wrote:
No it's not right. The defence is a completely different check from the combat check, therefore a Mage can play an attack spell and then defend with arcane armour if needed.


I think you are wrong about this, Martin. This is why the Arcane Armor had to be errata-ed to say "You may play another spell on this check."


Lars is correct. Dealing with damage is part of the same check.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
brayle wrote:
Flamehearted wrote:
No it's not right. The defence is a completely different check from the combat check, therefore a Mage can play an attack spell and then defend with arcane armour if needed.


I think you are wrong about this, Martin. This is why the Arcane Armor had to be errata-ed to say "You may play another spell on this check."


So you can or you can't? lol


You CAN play Arcane Armor even if you have played another spell, as per the errata.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok - so arcane armour is an exception. Is this the only one ? What about mirror image ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it in the FAQ. This is nice, since otherwise I would have been playing wrong since the beginning.

If I've already played a spell on a check, can I play Arcane Armor or Mirror Image to reduce damage?
Generally, you can't play a second spell on a check unless it says so. However, damage-reduction spells (and only spells, for the most part) should usually say so.

Resolution: On the spell Arcane Armor, add the following at the end of the first power: "You may play this card even if you have played another spell on this check."

On the spell Mirror Image, change the first power to the following:
"If a monster deals damage to you, you may display this card, even if you have played another spell on this check. Roll 1d4; on a result other than 1, reduce the damage to 0. Do this each time a monster deals damage to you. Discard this card at the end of the turn."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Found it in the FAQ. This is nice, since otherwise I would have been playing wrong since the beginning.

If I've already played a spell on a check, can I play Arcane Armor or Mirror Image to reduce damage?
Generally, you can't play a second spell on a check unless it says so. However, damage-reduction spells (and only spells, for the most part) should usually say so.

Resolution: On the spell Arcane Armor, add the following at the end of the first power: "You may play this card even if you have played another spell on this check."

On the spell Mirror Image, change the first power to the following:
"If a monster deals damage to you, you may display this card, even if you have played another spell on this check. Roll 1d4; on a result other than 1, reduce the damage to 0. Do this each time a monster deals damage to you. Discard this card at the end of the turn."


Thanks Byron - that's clears that up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. don't think this has come up before in our games, but it got me thinking. Some of those fancy shields can be revealed to help in an attack, so unless the card says otherwise, it would prevent me from using another armor card for that check. Tricky! I definitely would have thought the attack and damage taking was two different steps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Hmm.. don't think this has come up before in our games, but it got me thinking. Some of those fancy shields can be revealed to help in an attack, so unless the card says otherwise, it would prevent me from using another armor card for that check. Tricky! I definitely would have thought the attack and damage taking was two different steps.


Don't all shields allow the use of a second armor card?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only cards that specifically override the rules actually override the rules. The armor spells had to be errata'd so they'd override the 'play only one of each type during a check' rule.

A shield is an armor card, and as such, counts as an armor card being played if any of its abilities are used. However, if a shield specifically says that it can be played regardless of other armors being played or that it doesn't count as an armor being played, then it can be played on top of any other armors that were played.

If, however, the shield does not have that wording, and you play an armor card earlier in the check (and that armor card doesn't say that it doesn't count as an armor card being played), then that armor has just stolen your 'armor type' card slot and you cannot play a shield afterward.

It's all on the cards... so if it says it can, then it can. Otherwise, it can't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch out for Snakeskin Tunic... Reveal to add 1 to Dex. If you use this for a combat check, then you can't use the tunic (or any other armour) to prevent damage if you lose the combat check!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jrd23 wrote:
Watch out for Snakeskin Tunic... Reveal to add 1 to Dex. If you use this for a combat check, then you can't use the tunic (or any other armour) to prevent damage if you lose the combat check!


I think you're right about that...and I think that REALLY needs to be dealt with in the errata. You SHOULD be able to use that armor to mitigate damage even if you use it for the +1.

It should be ruled that if you use it for the +1, then you can also use it to mitigate damage, but it MUST be that armor and not any other except for a shield, either in combination with the tunic or by itself.

That's how I'm gonna play it, even if they don't change it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
It should be ruled that if you use it for the +1, then you can also use it to mitigate damage, but it MUST be that armor and not any other except for a shield, either in combination with the tunic or by itself.

I posted a question on Snakeskin Tunic on the official PACG forum and the designer confirmed that it was intended to work as I described (unfortunately).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.