Subject: Deadlands (Re)Beginner Needing some help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bell
United Kingdom
Dundee, Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First post at the board (been meaning to join since starting up a weekly gaming group) and well in a bit of a pickle with Deadlands!

I first encountered the game when it was first released and adored it. But being a teenager at the time I was unable to add to my then vast array of CCG buying habbits. Recently however I have purchased via eBay a vast collection covering most of the cards from the first five sets of the Rolling Thunder releases (and I still have the one card I owned from back then, the inQuest Joker). Annoyingly I forgot to save the original eBay listing detailing the contents of the lot, but well there's a fair mountain of cards sitting in front of me.

And herein lies the dilemma. I am currently rereading the rule book (the lot came with the first, fourth and fifth version so reading the later of them) but have no idea where to start with building decks. I've seen some good articles about building winning decks but I need to build at least three balanced decks to teach my group to play with (at present there are three of us with a potential fourth member and some possible drop ins).

Are there listings of fixed decks that came with the original starters (or were these randomised)? Or does anyone have a few easy to build decks that I can throw together with those episodes of Deadlands? I know they aren't complete sets but I can presume I have most of the common and uncommon cards from those sets with most of the rares (I am kicking myself for not copying that list!).

I might end up cataloging these cards but it'd probably be quite a chore...so any help would be appreciated. We don't tend to play collectable card games at present (it's easier with complete games, Pandemic being a big favourite of the group) so it's more than likely it'll just come from customising via my pool of cards so any suggestions how best to proceed would be fantastic.

And babbling done. Honest!whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Welcome pardner!

Check these out;

http://rpggeek.com/thread/294183/a-beginners-guide-to-deckbu...

http://rpggeek.com/thread/294186/doomtown-deck-structures

http://rpggeek.com/thread/554186/how-do-i-build-a-decks-to-p...

And read all you can here in the strategy forum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bell
United Kingdom
Dundee, Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant, thanks for the links!

I had given I think one of your threads a quick read through earlier and thought it looked like a nice solid start so once I get myself back in line with the rules and have figured out exactly what I have I can try and build some decks.

I think finding the balance between them might be the tough part but hopefully once I'm back in the head space it wont be as maddening as it appears at the moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.